walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullardoch Day 2

Mullardoch Day 2

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Route description: The Loch Mullardoch Munros

Munros included on this walk: An Riabhachan, An Socach (Mullardoch)

Date walked: 19/04/2012

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 28.5 km

Ascent: 2008m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

MULLARDOCH DAY 2

As I made my way back to the van after Mullardoch Day 1 I decided that if I was going to get as far as An Socach (and back!) I wasn’t going to do it in my winter boots. The snow had been soft on the first two hills and crampons were not required so I thought I’d risk it my “summer” boots. I set off at 7am on a lovely morning and retraced my steps of the previous evening to the bridge. Then I followed the lochside “path” to the Allt Taige. I was a bit concerned about this crossing but in the event it was no problem at all.
DSCN1087.JPG
River crossing
Then it was a long stomp to Glen Cannich and the bridge over the Allt Socrach.
DSCN1088.JPG
Sron na Frithe from Glen Cannich
A good track runs up alongside the Allt Coire a Mhaim. There seems to have been a spate of bridge building in this neck of the woods as there are quite a few that aren’t marked on the map – better that than the other way round I suppose! Anyway after leaving the track it was all a bit boggy and peaty but I made my way across Coire Mhaim and climbed steeply up on to the ridge. The surroundings were spectacular: all ridges and snow and huge corries.
DSCN1090.JPG
I followed the ridge for a good 2km with the snow cover increasing all the time. There were some great cornices and the cliffs plunged away to my right as I went along.
DSCN1094.JPG
Cornices along the ridge
I was grateful to finally see the trig point peaking out of the clouds. Time for a little something. The way forward along the ridge to An Riabhachan looked superb so I didn’t hang about (it was very cold too!).
DSCN1096.JPG
Looking back to An Socach
DSCN1097.JPG
Ridge to An Riabhachan
It was a great walk to the foot of the steep climb up to the south west top of An Riabhachan. It was all a bit slippery in the soft snow but I just kept moving and eventually arrived at the cairn. From there it was a cold, windy trek across the ridge to the summit cairn
DSCN1099.JPG
At last - the cairn
which disappeared from view as I approached. Cue a most untimely blizzard. So I didn’t hang about: I don’t think I have ever got down off a hill so quick! Before I knew it I was crossing a bridge over the Allt Socrach and having a cup of tea. Then began the long walk back. But it didn’t seem to matter as I had achieved my goal for the day. And what a long day it was! My boots were absolutely sodden with all the wet snow and bogs: I think I'll have a day off tomorrow.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Mullardoch Day 2

Postby kevsbald » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:09 am

Well done!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:37 am

I've still to do these two so this is most helpful. :D

Did you at any point regret using your summer boots? :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:45 am

Didn't regret summer boots at all. I never would have done the long walk in and out in winter boots.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland