walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Circular route problems

Circular route problems

Postby iangillie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Route description: Meikle Bin, Carron Valley

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 20/04/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 275m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This walk was carried out in pleasant conditions, cloudy bright with trace of rain, then sunshine.
Some mud was encountered as we left the main path to take the easy ascent of Meikle Bin.
We chose not to return by same route- mistake! The indications about route given in Stage 5 of the walk guide is relevant especially after recent gales. The descent towards the woodland was over a grassy track which disappeared into the woodland, and I mean disappeared completely. The difficult navigation was made much more tricky by many fallen trees, presumably caused by the winter gales. Compass work and crawling, interspersed with limbo dancing made progress very slow until we regained a good track.
This return route is not recommended until the forest is cleared again.
[quote][/quote]
iangillie
Mountaineer

Re: Circular route problems

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:54 am

I tried to get through the forest from Meikle Bin recently and gave up. I ended up going back over Meikle Bin again. I think it will be a very long time before the route through the forest is possible again.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:7

Postby kevsbald » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:07 am

Oh dear - any photos? I thought this was a very clear route but there must be a lot of fallen trees.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:125
Grahams:79   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

Postby Babywhale » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:09 pm

We tried circular route today, walking up Meikle Bin from tod holes direction, and down the other side towards the forest and the track road. Very muddy through the woods and difficult to find the track. Key was to keep close to the audible stream. Path very narrow through the pine trees and some bending required. Passed a bivvy en route. The distance between the base of the hill leading to Meikle Bin and the main track must be about 200m through boggy/spongy grass and forest. Not too difficult but wouldn’t want to do it in darkness or poor visibility.
Babywhale
Mountain Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland