walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Ledi hail and fail

Ben Ledi hail and fail

Postby luckyguy68 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:05 pm

Date walked: 25/04/2012

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 7.4 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was one of those get out for a walk or sit in on my day off and look at four walls. I chose Ledi as it was realtively close to home and the path up was a well established one.
The other purpose of getting out was to put the MWIS forecast to the the test. I havent been out when hail and wind gusts of 50 mph were forecast :shock: Things got off to a promising start with fairly good visibility, light winds and dry underfoot.
Once i hit the 600m mark it was stepping into a different world :lol: The clag came from nowhere as did the wind. I was already waterproofed up and added the balaclava and goggles and winter gloves (that i thought i had said tata to them until next winter :shock: ) It was really a struggle from there on in. I managed to get to the foot of the last false summit though by now things had got much worse. I had been clean blown of my feet twice and had nothing around i could have used for a shelter. The clag was thick and the path was now suddenly hidden by snow. I tried to get my bearings on the map but it was raining, standing was difficult and map reading with gloves on is not the easiest. I was a bit disorientated as to the best route up at this point. I then decided to do the right thing and turned round. I have many more days to get to the summit. Being on my own and not having passed any other walkers for an hour added to my anxiety :lol:
On the way down the first half hour was a battle. I tried to make myself aerodynamic but to be honest i just couldnt stand up with the verocity of the gusts :( . Once i got back down to that 600m mark i was back in the land of the living though it was now pelting down with rain. I did have a spring in my step by the time i got to the car and was glad i had ventured out.
I learned a heck of a lot about reading the weather conditions. I now know what hail and gusting winds mean when you are above a certain height. Main points being don't venture out :lol:
No photos. Could'nt do the hill justice with the half dozen i took. I will make ammends in the summer. Should we get one.
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Ben Ledi hail and fail

Postby mrssanta » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:42 pm

you will feel better for venturing out, and you had an adventure and tested out your gear!! :lol:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:11
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:40   Islands:8

Re: Ben Ledi hail and fail

Postby adamarchie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Good job, luckyguy, nothing like a good taste of the wild elements every now and again! No hill is dull in a howling white-out :D It sounds like you made the right decision at the right time given the conditions and your uncertainty as to the nav.
adamarchie
Hill Bagger

Munros:244   Corbetts:36
Grahams:15   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland