walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The buck

The buck

Postby David-Main » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Route description: The Buck of Cabrach

Fionas included on this walk: The Buck

Date walked: 28/04/2012

Time taken: 1.3 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 721m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saw the forecast for the moray area , sun ,sun, sun. " Very wrong " well for the buck anyway more like snow snow
Gave my polish friend a buzz and asked if he wanted to come along, lets do it , good views apperently he answered.
Going over the cabrach it was a white out but when we parked up the sky started to clear and we could see two other souls already marching up.
DSC_7482.JPG
The climb ahead

Very boggy to almost the summit , there had been a lot of rain in the area recently , not a problem to roxy "My dog"
DSC_7498.JPG
ROXY

DSC_7491.JPG
TAP O NOTH

An easy climb apart from the bogs, i would recomend it for anybody starting out on hill walks.
DSC_7505.JPG
THE SUMMIT AHEAD

DSC_7496.JPG
Ben aigen

DSC_7509.JPG
Ben rinnes

DSC_7520.JPG
Storm clouds

DSC_7526.JPG
Mount keen to the left and morven to the right both deeside

Snow started to fall again so after a few more pics we made our descent. When i got home i was out in the garden suning myself what a diffrence, hope you like the pics.
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Re: The buck

Postby RicKamila » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:55 pm

Did you see the fish carvings?

Went up there 2 years ago. Hated the climb up as we got caught in severe bog and mud, but the views at the summit made up for the hard work.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby kevsbald » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:57 am

Love this wee hill - did it in Winter when bog was frozen - otherwise as you say, boggy.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby RicKamila » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:31 pm

kevsbald wrote:Love this wee hill - did it in Winter when bog was frozen - otherwise as you say, boggy.

Did it end of April/start of May... BOGGY!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:17 am

Lovely little hill, and great vistas from the summit. I combined it with a visit to Tap o Noth, in snowy conditions, but even then the bog was annoying. Well worth the effort though :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby David-Main » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:45 pm

Saw your superb report blackpanther, thats what got me off my bum and go and try it for myself. My next target is tap o noth this weekend hopefully, what i forgot to add to my report is that we also saw a golden eagle, too far away to photograph.
David-Main
Backpacker

Postby RicKamila » Wed May 02, 2012 9:19 pm

David-Main wrote:Saw your superb report blackpanther, thats what got me off my bum and go and try it for myself. My next target is tap o noth this weekend hopefully, what i forgot to add to my report is that we also saw a golden eagle, too far away to photograph.

You'll like the Tap o' Noth. Nice and easy climb with superb views. There's a nice concret slab directly in front of you as you reach the top thats perfect for relaxing and admiring the views from.

The house next to the car park is a bit eiree though, still trying to work out if anyone lives there. Kamila thinks its an old man who never leaves the house but peers through the windows. Freaks her out :lol:

If you are lucky too, you'll get a fly past of some Lossie RAF planes!! If its propeller planes or Hawks, wave at them and they usually dip their wings as they pass.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby David-Main » Tue May 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Im thinking of doing tap o noth tomorrow Wednesday, anybody else game for this nice wee hill in this glorious weather we are getting. i finish my work at 1330 and could be there for 1430.
David-Main
Backpacker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland