walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor

Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby Dunfie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:44 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 28/04/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I introduced my son, Cameron, to Buachaille Etive Mor when we walked the West Highland Way last month. As we sat at the bottom of the Devil's Staircase we had looked up and agreed that it had to be a priority. So having found a suitable day yesterday we left Dunfermline at 5.45am and had possibly one of the best driving experiences ever, the sky was a crystal azure and the tops of the hills were a crisp white that it took all my effort to keep an eye on the road. I also had a clear run all the way to Tyndrum which meant we made very good time.

We arrived at Altnafeadh, changed our boots and were on the path by 7:30. The views were amazing all around:

Buachille Etive Mor from Altanfeadh

Buachille Etive Beag from Altnafeadh

Its an easy enough approach to Coire na Tulaich but as we gained some height it was a little bit icy so we had to take care and there was a couple of tricky sections at the top of the corrie.

View up Coire na Tulaich

Once at the top it was just a case of heading up to Stob Dearg. There was still quite a lot of hard packed snow on the walk up but it was nothing to extreme and although we didn't have winter gear with us it was just a case of taking our time to get to the summit.

Looking back from Stob Dearg

Cameron on top of Stob Dearg with Nevis and the Momores in the background

Retracing to the top of the corrie you then get the view along the ridge to the top of Stob na Doire (you can also see Stob Coire Altrium and peaking up inbetween is Stob na Broige).

The walk to Stob na Doire was where we encountered the most snow. However there were some good frozen footprints that we could use. I expect later in the day when the snow started to melt that it could have been quite a lot slippier.

Once at the top the view along the ridgeline to Stob Coire Altrium and, at the end, Stob na Broige was rather nice. It was just a case of taking our time picking a route down through the snow.

It was also good to stop and taking in the amazing 360 views.

Ben Nevis and pals

Aonach Eagach

Bidean nam Bian

Finally we made it along to Stob na Broige where we had our lunch. The wind hadn't been of any significance all day but what had been about dropped completely at the top of Stob na Broige so we hung around for a bit enjoying the views.

Views down to Loch Etive

Finally I attempted a 360 panarama with my phone.

From there we just retraced to the foot of Stob Coire Altrium and dropped down the path to the valley floor. An absolutely magnificent day - I hope we get a few more like it this season. 8)
Last edited by Dunfie on Thu May 03, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:29 pm

Nice one Dunfie, I too fancy a crack at ths beauty just the same as you after walking the WHW

Well done to Cameron, something to be proud of :thumbup:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland