walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

THE CLISHAM HORSESHOE epic day on harris

THE CLISHAM HORSESHOE epic day on harris

Postby blueyed » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Route description: Clisham (An Cliseam) horseshoe

Corbetts included on this walk: Clisham

Date walked: 23/04/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 14 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

it needs a little introduction.

last weekend was my birthday weekend and we booked few days off to go hillwalking. but as we all know, forecast for western / northern scotland was bad and after all i ended up with a plan of having a 1 day trip to glencoe as soon as the rain stops. that was on friday.

saturday morning we woke up, had a breakfast, started planning our usual 'saturday activities' -cleaning, shopping etc.. and then my partner said 'i saw the forecast for the hebrides an it wasnt too bad'.. we went to check again. yeah, it wasnt too bad. so i decided to have a look at the calmac website to check the ferries, then we would just go on sunday (and back on wednesday). unfortunatelly ferries run: from oban 3pm, ullapool 6pm. going on sunday, loosing a day, having only 2.5 days and paying so much for the ferry...

it was a quick decision: we had to go on saturday! there was no chance to catch ferry in oban (i am based in edinburgh), but there still was a chance to get to ullapool on time! it was exactly 11.07am as we decided to go, packed within 40 mins and left to ullapool !!!!! thanks goodness roads werent busy and we made it! the thing was that we had no place to sleep (took tent just in case) and had no plan and didnt really know what to see and where hahaha but as long as we manage to catch a ferry we will figure out stuff later :)

so clisham was the day 2 of our trip to outer hebrides.
after spending the first day on a flat lewis we were eager to move south to nth harris and do some hillwalking. luckily the weather forecast was still 'dry', we got tempted.... the goal - climb CLISHAM, the highest mountain on the hebrides.
as we arrived to tarbet on sunday afternoon, everything was closed, not a soul in the village, cash machine empty (such a hopeless feelling).. we had no map of the area and werent sure which route up clisham we should take. the were deciding between 2 options -tackle it from south (from loch na liste) that should be easy enough without a map... unless we get lucky and shops open on monday morning, tourist information with a good selection of maps and books about walking on harris... yeah!
we managed to buy some maps therfore the options changed and now we looked at doing the whole horseshoe, 5 summits in total.

most of the walk we followed route advised by cicerone book 'walking on harris and lewis', (which seems to be the same route described on WH) but we modified the descent from clisham and way back to the car - instead of walking via tomnabhal, we cut straight east to the road and planned to hitchhike back to the place where we left the car. good luck!

and we left the car here
Image parking with a view, parikng bay just above the bridge in ardvourie.

the walk begins just at the bridge. starts with a faint path which is on and off, basicaly we followed the stream until we reached the loch.

first views of the day werent too promising, to be honest it all looked just a little bit like on the moon - rugged, brown dry heather, some yellowish grass, grey rocks, grey clouds.. dull...

way up gleann sgaladail, along abhainn sgaladail untill reaching loch mhisteam is wet, boggy, tiresome, boring.. longggggg (2hrs)... as probably always is negotiating boulderfield.. at the end we finally got some views to clisham and looked forward to climbing our first summit of the day - mullach an langa.

clisham

way up mullach an langa. it is a steep, pathless climb, first on a wet, boggy grass, later changing to large slabs just before the summit. easy but rather unpleasant

finally we reached the summit of mullach an langa (1hr)

and here's what we saw - our ridge walk to clisham. in total those are 5 summits, i think reaching the first one, mullach an langa is the hardest work.

the ridge

summit no 2 - mulla bho truath

and looking back to mullach an langa

the next is mulla bho dheas. i liked this one. ascent involves easy and very enjoyable scrambling along the ridge. route finding was very easy as there was a pretty well defined path along the ridge.

the mighty neighbours - uisgneabhal mor & teileasbhal

looking south to loch a siar

i was a little bit disappointed with the quality of the views. dont get me wrong - views were awesome, but i hoped for some sunshine and amazing pics..well, here's my excuse to come back there...
the only sunny moment we encounted i managed to take the picture of the clisham, and the sun was gone..

having a wee break at mulla bho dheas, getting heady for a final push

FINAL PUSH!?!?!?!?

mr clisham again

hebridean meerkat :)

views to loch a siar again

ascent from mulla bho dheas involved some scrambling again. it had a tricky point, where you scramble down along the main ridge and at one point you just face a rock drop. at this point you have to retreat back and get to the faint path which goes a little lower (north side of the ridge), then just follow tha path (via wee summit of an t-isean) to the foot of clisham.

final ascent, clisham, is an easy one. it consists of 2 parts - first you walk up a gentle 'belly' (which is actually 2/3 of the whole ascent) and then final climb on the slabs again.

she's not there yet, she's not happy!

summit ridge of clisham is just a long pile of large rocks. dont be tempted to walk to the very edge (north edge) as you'll be facing quite a drop and it might make you misjudge what awaits ahead - descent (which in fairness is quite easy, thou steep)

summit cairn

as i mentioned before, i modified the return route a little bit, instead heading down towards tomnabhal, we descended straight down towards the road. at first we followed faint path, then we took direction in between a 'fork' of 2 streams and headed back to the car park (the one with picnic tables).

clisham from 'almost there'

we were exhausted, that's why we decided to cut the descent. i thought that it will be easier and quicker to walk along the road than wading thru boggy boulderfield again.. and we got an idea -to try to hitchhike back to the place where we left the car. problem was that time (6pm) wasnt the busiest on the road and during half an hour walk only 2 cars passed...

after about 30 mins we got lucky and the red renault megane stopped! many thanks to KRISTY / CHRISTY, crazy- happy girl from national trust for scotland who just moved to the hebrides 3 weeks before.. thanks for saving our lives and also saving us another 1 hr of walk! CHEERS!

enjoy!!!
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: THE CLISHAM HORSESHOE epic day on harris

Postby Bod » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Superb, those mountains look fantastic! :D
I've been on Harris a couple of times long ago, but never looked properly at the hills. Looks like you have accelerated my need to return, thank you :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby quoman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:37 pm

loved that report cheers
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mrssanta » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:43 pm

very impressed, packing in 40 minutes! I couldnt ever do that
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Brilliant report! :D Now I get to see the other half of the horseshoe that we didn't make back in March...definately something to go back for! Sadly, I can attest that the long road walk back is certainly a trudge, particularly when your walking partner doens't want to hitchhike! :lol:
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby blueyed » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:37 pm

the funniest thing was that when we were driving from lewis to tarbet the previous day i saw the ridge from the car and said to my partner 'that would make a great ridge walk!' (not knowing what we were looking at) but the hills looked huge and dangerous from the road.. nevermind, i had to go there :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:55 pm

A great report. I always like it when people show the route on pictures. I just don't know how to do that myself! :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby malky_c » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:57 pm

This looks like a great route - much more interesting than the common up-and-down route from the high point on the Tarbert-Ardvourlie road.

I haven't been up Clisham from any direction yet, but if I manage weather like this, then I will be very happy :D

I hope there's more to come from your visit :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby blueyed » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:54 pm

@malky - i'm afraid there won't be any more hillwalking reports from harris :( but i have some other places tio show you :)
we spent 4 days on the hebrides:
- lewis
-nth harris
- sth harris, nth uist, benbeculla
- sth uist, eriskay, barra, vatersay

actually i was quite happy that we managed to do a hillwalk at all, as the next day weather was rather unpleasant (wet and windy) and we definitely wouldnt bother going to the hills.
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 01, 2012 5:26 am

wow, lovely scenery Blueyed. I've never been to Harris and this makes me wish the hell I had, what a beautiful hike in a spectacular location....what more could you want :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby gaffr » Tue May 01, 2012 7:56 am

Many thanks for the information and the map on your site. One of my missing tops so have yet to reach Harris......now more than one :lol:
I had thought of taking my bike from the mainland to reach the area of the hills.....I would guess that it is expensive to take the motor out on the Ferry service?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby blueyed » Tue May 01, 2012 12:41 pm

gaffr wrote:Many thanks for the information and the map on your site. One of my missing tops so have yet to reach Harris......now more than one :lol:
I had thought of taking my bike from the mainland to reach the area of the hills.....I would guess that it is expensive to take the motor out on the Ferry service?

i'm not sure abouth the bike, i travelled by car. got a hopscotch8 ticket from calmac, for 2 adults and a small car i paid £200, it included 4 crossings: ullapool-stornoway, sth harris-nth uist, eriskay-barra, barra-oban. i guess going by bike would be MUCH MUCH cheaper.. or if you go a direct route to tarbet (harris) from uig (skye)- if you fancy doing hills only that would be just perfect

there are many more hills to walk on harris (and the 2 on sth uist i liked too), could spend a whole week just there, easily.
note that although they are 'only' corbets you actually start from sea level and have to ascent more than an avegare mainland munro..
blueyed
Hill Bagger

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland