walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 campbells, 4 munros

3 campbells, 4 munros

Postby Bigdrc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:29 am

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 29/04/2012

Time taken: 5.59 hours

Distance: 18 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So as per usual my dad suggests we go a a nice jaunt on the hills on our quest to bag all of the munros. I think he asked me in a weak moment as the fact we were doing all 4 didn't really sink in at the time...
So on a lovely sunny sunday me, my dad and my big bro decided to add some more munros to our repertoire. My brother doesn't usually come but my dad has got some new fancy gps gadget and I am quite sure that was his main reason for coming.
In fairness it came in handy as after we crossed the rickety bridge we went a bit "off piste" and lost the track. Using the gadget we got back on track and managed to get to the top of carn gorm with only a quick lunch break delaying us. That and I felt with all that snow to not do a snow angel would be a lost oppurtunity....
The ascent was pretty steady and did have a pleasant plateau before the summit. It was a beautiful sunny day with not a cloud in sight so the views were exceptional. Sadly I am also positive it was the wind chill centre of the uk so we didn't waste much time at the top.
Due to the rocky terrain in combination with the snow a bit of a scramble on the descent but once on the ridge and out of the wind some of the most pleasant walking of the journey.
I found the ascent to Meall Garbh pretty easy going and thankfully was out of the wind for the majority of the climb.
The next part of the journey towards carn mairg was quite a long walk marred by the "fake murno" along the way. We decided a quick stop for a cup of tea was needed at the foot of the final climb to carn mairg as well as jelly babies - probably my favourite energy source on long walks.
The ascent looked tougher than it was. The snow made it a bit of a slog but was surprisingly not too taxing. Again superb views and cold cold wind.
On way down after encountered the "fake murno" I thought that was us to only be informed that the 3rd cairn we went by was just a top and one more summit remained to be conquered. By this point I began to tire a bit. After having had my big brother trailing a bit behind me being a bit of a well...girl began to trail a bit behind the 2 campbell men. Being the gents they are I set a slightly more "relaxed"pace up the last ascent :wink:
Again the climb looked worse than it actually was but again made a bit more taxing by the snow. I was pleased I only fell over once. Was interesting to not know how far you would sink on every step.
Finally was at the top of the 4th summit and with a setting sun we headed back down. Clearly found my second wind as managed to run down large sections on the descent.
As per usual the journey home included a stop at a pub from some well deserved grub. It was steak all round and for me a large glass of red wine.
Now after a nice long bath and happily reclining on my sofa as I write this I am worried I might not ever get back up again. This was a brilliant walk, only to be done on a clear day when the views can be fully appreciated as they deserve. Nice walk to enjoy some good company.
Bigdrc
Mountain Walker

Munros:48   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: 3 campbells, 4 munros

Postby davetherave » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:03 am

Sounds like you guys had a fine family wall together.

Cheers. Dave.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: 3 campbells, 4 munros

Postby monty » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:03 am

Well done Bigdrc. Thats a nice round even though its a bit of a slog along the top. Good effort. :D
monty

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland