walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tolmount/Tom Buidhe

Tolmount/Tom Buidhe

by Fcfraser » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Date walked: 29/04/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 28.96 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Tolmount/Tom Buidhe

Postby SMRussell » Thu May 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Great report, gorgeous dogs and lovely photos.

I'm very pleased to see WH regulars providing such support regarding the comments made by "angry". I sincerely hope this person now realises his comments were OTT. It is a fair comment that walkers should be careful if taking dogs into the hills but his comments went too far with such personal accusations.

Fcfraser, keep it up :D

And "angry", whoever you are, perhaps you should keep this in mind - "say it in anger, say it in drink, but never, never say it in ink"
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby angry » Sat May 19, 2012 8:08 pm

OTT, SMRussell?

Take a look at this:

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Angus/ ... ttack.html

Unless you assume that in incidents like this (the other recent one in Angus, and the capeircaille I was mentioning in my post) happen in front of a particular vicious owner who just stands by, these things happen when owners let dogs roam the hills precisely in the manner described in this report. If you had ever had to put down sheep and lambs fitting and convulsing because a dog had savaged them perhaps you and the rest of the folks who rushed to the defence of the OP would think twice. That dog owners are in deep, deep denial about their responsibility it was clear even before. This thread has just confirmed it yet again. The OP and her friend took three exuberant dogs in the lambing season and in the breeding season for ground nesting birds on the hills. One dog disappeared from sight. It matters not a jot that it wasn't the OPs. She stood by and described the thing as a bit of a laugh. She was as irresponsible as the owner. If you're on a passenger in a car and the driver is drunk, and you say nothing, you're just as guilty as the driver. It's only a matter of luck if nothing happens. The lambs that got killed in Glenshee were a few miles up the road from Callater. And when ground nesting birds get killed, it doesn't make it to the news.

The ignorance and arrogance of dog owners and hill walkers has been confirmed once again. As a hill walker I'm ashamed on your behalf but I don't expect you'll see just how bad you're behaving in condoning this sort of attitude.

As the Courier article makes clear, to take a dog on the hills not on a (long) leash is breaking the law. Have another pat on your collective backs if that pleases you.

And you see, the thing is that if your dog kills 20 lambs, you won't even know it was your dog that did it. Must make you feel so proud.
angry

Postby mrssanta » Sat May 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Angry, I think you have some valid points about controlling dogs during the lambing and nesting season. But you are never going to win people over to your point of view by ranting at them and ridiculing them. Especially when you don't know them at all or what they are thinking.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Meatball » Sat May 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Angry, you make valid generalised points...
Your tone of writing or ranting is really poor.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby monarchming » Sun May 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Yep,angry some of what you mentioned is true of course but to tar everyone with the same brush is pretty shallow.The way you try to put your point across is just going to upset people.I think we have got your view on this so I think it best you just leave it now. :shh:
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby Fcfraser » Mon May 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Good Grief...... My first ever post and I can't believe Mr Angry is still at it!

Thank you to all you lovely people for your support! .... Bad choice of words on my part, he doesn't know me, or is he likely to!! .....speechless. :?
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   Corbetts:5

Postby Collaciotach » Mon May 21, 2012 10:06 pm

These responsibilities of care rest not only on dog owners there are also farmers / crofters in deep deep denial on where their responsibilities lie.
How many sheep carcasses have you come across that don't involve dog worrying but instead owe their demise to poor care and supervison by the owner?.
I ve examples of beasts in briars ,bogs ,holes ,breached and pro lapsed ewes left to rot where they fell and roadside "kills" must effect lambing percentages in some areas. Aye natural hazards abound so does poor husbandry, perhaps the subsidy value has some bearing.

As i say two wrongs don't make a right but if you doubt your dog keep it leashed, if it walks with you and is bidable keep it close and in view at all times that is sound advice .

The angry one does itself no favours by being anon and by ground nesting birds are we talking "game" that the toffs pay to kill ?
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Bod » Mon May 21, 2012 10:16 pm

[quote="Collaciotach"]

'if you doubt your dog keep it leashed, if it walks with you and is bidable keep it close and in view at all times that is sound advice '.

Spot on Collaciotach :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Fcfraser » Mon May 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Wow! collaciotach..... I wish I could have written that response!! Fabulous response! :D
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Postby BlackPanther » Tue May 22, 2012 10:17 am

Cheers, folks, I see the debate is still hot. I'll second Collaciotach, too. I think the guilt is always on both sides, somewhere in the middle. Of course, the issue should be discussed, but certainly not the way mr Angry does it. Using his logic, if, let's say, I had an argument with somebody called Jake, well, I should then hate all Jakes big and small, all over the world :lol:

One more thought, I live in a small village and I jog along the local road almost every day. The number of roadkills I see is enormous. Only yesterday I found one dead blackbird and one hedgehog :( Sometimes I have tears in my eyes thinking about all these wee creatures squashed by cars... Should I then hate all drivers???
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby macq23 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Great first report and pics Fcfraser!

Then I was somewhat shocked by "Angry" postings. Way out of line in the mannerism of the postings that was written. This is a forum to share our experiences in this great Scottish country of ours....not to verbally attack someone!!

I'm not overly keen on dogs.....but someone need to put a leash on "Angry"!!
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Postby kevsbald » Tue May 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Oh dear. Request to Paul - can we have Angry Anderson banned from the site? There are ways and means of constructive argument and clearly, there is Angry Anderson's way.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby monty » Tue May 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Nice report Fcfraser. Love the photos. Look forward to your next report. :D
monty

Postby Fcfraser » Tue May 22, 2012 9:38 pm

I am amazed at the response to my attempt at writing an interesting blog! Wow! You guys are so protective! I feel like the little sister! (actually, my brothers weren't as protective!)

BP... Loved your story re the hating Jakes! :)

I would be absolutely devasted If my dog ever harmed any living creature.... It's just NOT in his nature! He does love to roll in a dead deer carcass though! You can imagine how upsetting that is! But it has to be pretty rank! So clearly not one he has just killed!

Takes all sorts to make a debate!
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Postby BlackPanther » Wed May 23, 2012 11:53 am

Fcfraser, I think I can speak for the whole WH community and say that it is not a place for people with such a negative attitude like mr Angry... Maybe we should definitely close this discussion, and as kevsbald suggested, if mr Angry abuses anybody with another aggressive post, he should be banned from this forum.

I don't own a dog at the moment but I had one before I moved up to Scotland. The boy was a great chap but he had exactly the same nasty habit of rolling in smelly things, exactly as you described :shock: :shock: Once I took him for a walk in the countryside and he rolled in a fresh cowpat!!!! I was furious! I guess it's a general "doggy instinct", they like smelly things and the more stinky the better :lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland