walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie on crystal clear morning(Glen Turret with Bike)

Ben Chonzie on crystal clear morning(Glen Turret with Bike)

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 29/04/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 671m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Chonzie – 29/04/12

Video report here

DSC02347.JPG
summit

The forecast was looking good for the weekend and having spent a day at the Hawcraigs on Saturday I thought I’d chance my luck and fit in a wee hill outing on the Sunday!! In order to not completely deplete any brownie points I had left, I thought I’d make an extra early start with the expectation of getting home early too

With this in mind I woke up at 05.15am and was in car about an hour later (should have packed night before!!). It was clear skies and a frost and things were looking great. Driving west to Crieff I could see a snow capped Ben Vorlich looking clear, visibility was looking fantastic.

Everything was going to plan until the wildlife decided to prevent easy passage to the car park at Loch Turret (video explains all). Anyway that small set back cost me around 15mins believe it or not!!

However I planned on making back the time as I had brought my bike with me. Left the Turret car park at just before 7am. Only a camper van there at this time. The sun was out however the track runs along the east shore of Loch Turret and due to this it was in the shade until after the loch which led to cold fingers!!

The ride along the Lochside was a bit up and down but mostly up so was looking forward to ride back. I left the bike just before the track started to descend near Lochan Uaine. I was planning on heading NW from here to the path up to the headwall near the Bealach na Gaoith, however the ground was really boggy so I opted to head across the heather and head in a more westerly direction up Creag an Lochain Uaine. I headed up the crags and stopped just before reaching the NE slopes of Ben Chonzie. This was a cracking spot and a small refreshment was had overlooking Loch Turret and Strathearn from high up. Once through the crags the broad summit ridge led to the summit. It was a cold biting wind up here but the views took the mind off the cold. In the distance there had obviously been a lot of snow as the Cairngorms were shining. Nearer Lawers, More and Vorlich had their winter hats on too!. Great views. It was now 08.50 and time to go before those brownie points diminished!!

I opted to descend the way I had intended to go up , via the Bealach na Gaoith and onto the steep wee path until the boggy ground was reached. Once back at the bike it did not take too long to get back to the car. Reached the car at 10.10.

With none of the “obstacles” blocking the road on the way home I was home before 11.00… Cracking….. :lol: :D
DSC02339.JPG
looking down Glen Turret

DSC02338.JPG
sun through reeds

DSC02340.JPG
big lump of white rock......

DSC02351.JPG
snow covered cairngorms
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: Chonzie on crystal clear morning (Glen Turret with Bike

Postby mrssanta » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Hard to believe that you guys had such lovely sun - it was absolutely chucking it down here, windy and cold.
mrssanta
Munro compleatist

Munros:245   Corbetts:10
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:40   Islands:8

Re: Chonzie on crystal clear morning (Glen Turret with Bike

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue May 01, 2012 7:52 am

it was fntastic weather all weekend - not going to apologies as its usually the other way about :lol:
wilkiemurray

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland