walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Acharn Woods, Killin

Acharn Woods, Killin

Postby bio-man » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:14 pm

Route description: Acharn Woods, Killin

Date walked: 19/06/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

While the walk described is pretty short, in comparison, I extended the route to take in more of the surrounding forest and gradients to give a very satifying day's walk. The added attraction ids the Burger van halfway round which does the most amazing venison burgers!!

As described, start at the war memorial but continue west until you reach the A85, carefully cross and continue on the track. There is an obvious doubleback, where there used to be platforms for the old railway. The track now moves uphill and come out next to the A85 next to some cottages. Cross again and into the marked car-park The van awaits. It's an English couple that own the van, cery friendly and have been there for years. I'm sure the van is not there on a Tuesday though!!

Continue on through the high deer gate and pause at the memorial..marked on OS map. Two RAF pilots were killed in the 90's when their Tornado crashed nearby. http://www.killin.info/kn/issues/kn026.pdf

The paths takes you uphill and an excellent view over Loch Yay. Skirt round the side of Beinn Leabhainn to a decision. Turn left an downhill to Killin or right for a hard uphill section and continuation of the track.Once on this section, if it pours, you're soaked, because there is no short cut out. Continue on until you reach the mast, then hit a left down towards the road. If you scramble up the small bank, turn left towards Killin. Otherwise, go under the road, turnabout, then turn right towards Killin!!

The pub by the spectacular Falls of Dochart, funnily enough called the Falls of Dochart Inn is highly recommended as is the tea-room next door (for their Coffee). A very rewarding hike especially if you don't take any short cuts!! Take a map!!
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: Acharn Woods, Killin

Postby helenw » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:43 pm

That sounds like a good addition to the walk. When I did the walk earlier this year it was popular with serious looking runners who were doing all sorts of additional loops into the forest (maybe to get a burger!)

The burger van is gaining quite a reputation - I know someone who travels a long way from her North South route just to visit it and swears by the generous bacon butties. However my heart (probably furring up at the thought of all the fat!) is firmly with the Real Food Cafe in Tyndrum. The best fish and chips ever and an endless supply of water - if anyone can suggest a chippy to beat it I will (in the interests of research) check it out, but I'm not sure the Tyndrum chippy can be beaten.

Maybe we should add excellent chippies, burger vans, and cake shops to this website? Mind you, why stop there - think of all the great pubs at the end of walks!

Glad to see your re-hab is progressing Bio-man, what's your next big target?

8)
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Re: Acharn Woods, Killin

Postby bio-man » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks Helen....and have to say the Tyndrum chippy is pretty spectacular!! Many a time sitting waiting for the train munching on a fish supper!!

Beinn a'Ghlo on Saturday for starters, then Beinn Chruachan, Schiehallion, the Minigaig and finish Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachain at some point in the summer!! A few other things planned and working up to the 4,000ers next summer to raise funds for MRT. Still trying to increase the fitness...esp on the arm, but it'll come! Ta for asking!!!
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland