walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich

Beinn a Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 29/04/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1221m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ruby wasn't up for a walk today for some reason (she just would not come out of her bed when I called her) so it was a chance to bring out the "Big Dog" (Zippy) 8) He is our Bassett Hound but hasn’t been out with me that often. I wasn’t sure he would cope with this one today...but how wrong I was. :shock: He absolutely loved it as you will see from the pictures. MWIS and BBC were predicting fantastic clear skies today - no disappointment there either. Absolutely the best day of weather I have had this year.
006.JPG

We set off from the house just after 730am and arrived at the parking spot mentioned in the WH route just after 830am.

001.JPG
Zippy raring to go!

First major obstacle of the day – a herd of Highland cows with calves. I didn’t spot the path up the side of the road and so we went straight through the middle of them – very very lucky as you will see later on!!!
The farm track makes is easy(ish!) going for the first 400 meters or so and the views were stunning even at low level

002.JPG

011.JPG
Zippy with Ben Cruachan in the background

After around an hour we reached the little cairn at the bend in the track that marks the start of the climb up to the ridge. It took me around 30 minutes to find the path, but once on it we really made some good progress.

About half way up the Big Dog decided to do a bit of sunbathing!!!
007.JPG
Now where did I put the amber Solaire???

008.JPG

We also started to get our first look at the second target for the day Beinn Eunaich. There seemed to be a bit of snow at the top which I have to admit made me somewhat apprehensive given the turnround last week on Ben Challum. (I don’t do snow very well at the moment!!)
010.JPG
Beinn Eunaich

After around 2.5 hours we finally reached the main ridge. The views in all directions were spectacular, though Zippy seemed to only be interested in the giant ice cone. Slurp slurp!!!
015.JPG

016.JPG
The final approach up to Beinn a Chochuill

At the stage another walker caught up with us. We got chatting and walked together to the summit – Zippy took a shine to him too! I said I would post his summit pic in my report. (Good to meet you James).
018.JPG

019.JPG
James at the summit

020.JPG
another one for the scrap book!

The view to Cruachan was just unbelievable – so sharp and clear, and steep!!!
023.JPG

024.JPG

027.JPG
Not sure what these ones are?

After a few minutes taking in the views we set off towards our second target for the day. It was clear James was used to a faster pace and so when we reached the Beleach he set off ahead.

028.JPG

The going was fairly easy although it did get very rocky near the top. Zipper coped ok – better than me to be honest. :shock:

035.JPG

And so finally after around 4 hours we reached the summit and were treated to the sight of Frosty the Snowman. Don’t know who made him but I can definitely say I wouldn’t have had the energy for that!! Zippy wasn’t sure what it was at first! Lol

037.JPG

no 2 for the big dog!
039.JPG

Zippy didn’t seem to mind the heights and was almost right at the edge of the cliff behind the cairn. Not for the faint hearted!!

040.JPG

We stopped to grab a bite to eat just off of the summit and take in the sights in front of us.....
.... a big slobbery kiss was not what I wanted at that point! Yukk!! :sick:
042.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG

050.JPG

051.JPG

The walk back down to the farm track was uneventful, although I did twist my ankle but not badly – just enough to give me a fright. Although coming off of the ridge is very steep it wasn’t a problem as the ground was bone dry. If there had been snow I would still be there!!
And so back to the highland cows…as we ambled down the track I could see the herd ahead of me but remembered that there was a path on the other side of the fence. All seemed ok at first.. A few glances towards us but nothing too alarming. And then one cow with a white coat started to get a bit spooked.

She snorted and walked alongside us on the other side of the fence. Then she charged straight into the fence.!! :shock: This caused the other cows and calves to stampede down the path, and scared the living daylights out of me and Zippy :shock: :shock: . For some reason some of the little ones didn’t stop at the fence and slammed straight into it ending up in a pile on the ground. :( :( Had Zippy and I continued down that path we would have ended up only a few feet away from the melee. I had visions of cows breaking through the fence and Zippy and I being tossed around like rag dolls :wtf: So we headed out into the field and stayed around 100 yards from the herd. Hearts pounding we ending up climbing 3 fences before we made the road again. I now have to add Highland cows to my list of phobias!!!
6 hours 30 minutes after we set out we made it back to the car….safe (just) and dog tired!! Fab!!!
Last edited by 2dalmatians on Wed May 02, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: The Bassett and Beinn a Chochuill!

Postby electricfly » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Well done Zippy! great wee report too.

I was up doing these two on Thursday with my springer spaniel and yes, those highland coos were very defensive of their calves. We went through the gate and tracked right across the muddy area, with one of my poles extended and the dog on the lead they moved towards us, but with a firm, farmer-like "hey-up" voiced they seemed to accept that we didn't want any hassle. The cattle feeder being placed right on the path isn't the smartest idea. :?

By the way those peaks to the east are Ben Lui and Beinn a' Chleibh at Tyndrum. :)
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Electrify - Thanks for identifying the hills for me. Cheers
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Postby pigeon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:15 pm

Nice one 2d ,think those coos are in permanent residence on that path ,looked like this in december :lol: :lol:
009.JPG
Good hills these,Cruachan is even better ,if you've not done them get them on your list :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Pigeon, love the picture. Looks like a really evil b@####! Could not believe how steep cruachan was. Im still a beginner at this game and although definitely on the list it will be for a very dry summers day.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:56 pm

Wow what a great looking walk although I would have been terrified by the cows. The views are beautiful and lovely to see such blue skies. I love the photos of Zippy especially the one of him sunbathing :D
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Re: Beinn a Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich

Postby 2dalmatians » Fri May 04, 2012 4:05 pm

Sarah, thanks for the comments, it was a brilliant day and I know Zippy enjoyed it (apart from the cows!)
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Postby smiffysmc » Tue May 08, 2012 8:23 am

Great report 2d. It wasn't till i read the bit at end about the coo's I realised we'd also done these hills. Dave had his dog with him and mummy cows didn't like the dogs anywhere near baby cows.

Our experience was......
Once we done a bit of track worshiping we headed back to the car. We met the farmer back at the highland cows and had a wee chat.

Dave askin, 'What about walking past the cows with the dog with out thw wide bearth?'.
Farmer, ' Not advisable to go to close with the dog. If the cows come towards or run at you ,let the dog go'
Martin 'Er.........what do we do?'
Me 'RUN'
Martin 'You'll not out run a cow in that bog!!!!!'
Me ' No but i'll make sure i out run you,you can take one for the team!!!'

Martin decided to brave it and walked through them,as we headed back up,out the gate and down the side of the fence with the dog just to make sure. :D

Now also added to our list of things to avoid!! Ha
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Fudgie » Tue May 08, 2012 9:21 am

A pair of hills I did in the clag so it's good to see what the views are like from them :lol:

We also had a bit of an experience with the cows. We walked through them on the way up but one of the calves ran away from us which meant it's mother started up the path behind us. I made a run for it and vaulted the fence at the far end :D As we came back down it was mad clear to us that we should go around the cows:

Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby monty » Tue May 08, 2012 9:37 am

First thoughts were whats happened to Ruby :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats a great read 2D.... Zippy looks amasing. Another great report. :D
monty

Postby dooterbang » Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 am

Was thinking the same as Monty :)

Great report.

I did these 2 about same time your at in doing these Munros...nice to see them again.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland