walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum - my first report.

Ben Challum - my first report.

by Banditman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:37 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 30/04/2012

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 912m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ben Challum - my first report.

Postby Paul_Antonia » Sun May 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Cracking first report there and some lovely pics. If that's the quality you're getting from your compact then that might be the weapon of choice anyway. I bought a Nikon DSLR last year and I love it but have to confess that sometimes it's bulk can be a bind out on the hills. At time of purchase I was advised to look at something like an Olymous Pen or similar and would definitely echo that advice. If it's something you want for taking up the mountains then the portability of a camera between a compact and a full size DSLR will definitely pay dividends.
Look forward to more of your reports and more of those lovely photo's.
Paul_Antonia
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Banditman » Mon May 07, 2012 10:32 am

Paul_Antonia wrote:Cracking first report there and some lovely pics. If that's the quality you're getting from your compact then that might be the weapon of choice anyway. I bought a Nikon DSLR last year and I love it but have to confess that sometimes it's bulk can be a bind out on the hills. At time of purchase I was advised to look at something like an Olymous Pen or similar and would definitely echo that advice. If it's something you want for taking up the mountains then the portability of a camera between a compact and a full size DSLR will definitely pay dividends.
Look forward to more of your reports and more of those lovely photo's.

Cheers Paul,
Seems like the compact is that way to go for me just now. thanks for the comments. :)
Banditman
Scrambler

Munros:263   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:11

Postby Banditman » Mon May 07, 2012 10:35 am

Jock McJock wrote:Nice report Banditman :D Done this one in January when there was a wee bit more snow around and the wind nearly blew me off the top, couldn't have a nice wee sit at the top like you :lol: As for your pics, I think they're great. I usually just use a wee compact myself and they usually do the job. Recently started using a bridge camera but it's a trade off between small, light and compact and carrying something bigger and heavier to get better pics. Look forward to more eports :D

Thanks Jock,
Think I'll stick with the compact for now. Carry enough weight as it is with the beer belly. :lol: . If I can come up with a report with the quality of your "Driven to Distraction" then I'll be well chuffed. :)
Banditman
Scrambler

Munros:263   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:11

Postby GillC » Sat May 26, 2012 12:32 am

Lovely report Bandit. We had done Schiehallion 2 days before,,similar conditions as you had,,,great to see your pics,, Tyndrums a place I constantly pass through, this looks like a good wee day out though. Might stop off some time soon. Great report, Gill C
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Lenore » Sat May 26, 2012 7:46 am

Haha sorry you got all wet and soggy, but maybe that's the price to pay for such a gorgeous walk. And if so, that's a small one, right? Loved the report and pictures!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland