walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Meagaidh Circuit

Creag Meagaidh Circuit

by davgil » Tue May 01, 2012 10:40 am

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 29/04/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Creag Meagaidh Circuit

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Excellent dave - good to hear from you again. Great weather and photos - mostly clag when I was up so nice to see what I missed - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby J01VNO » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:02 pm

Hi,

My wife and I were up Craig Meggie on Friday (12 Aug 2022) to head out on the speedwing. We met a hill waker who we started chatting to about the hill and thing you can do up it, flying, skiing, climbing, etc. We were yapping about the awesome ski runs we had had over the years at Craig Meggie, one of which was the same day you were up for a walk... I had mentioned how one year we had to put in a pitch point and abseil down as the whole gully had split with the weight of the snow and tore a 8-12m gap in the whole thing. After a minute he was like, wait a minute, but I'm sure I was reading a post in walk highland last night that had that photos in it, someone had spotted you in the gully.. The dates seemed to line up with the dates he mentioned. So I just looked up walk highland to see if I could find the photos... Yep it is us! Haha..

So we're still alive!

We had spotted the big gap before going up, but decided we could probably jump it, if not I had a rope with me so no worries. Once we got to the top and skied in down to the crack, it was a tad bigger than expected.. so we decided to go for the abseil over the jump.. It took a while to get down and over it as to get the kit down we diced it was easier to cut a set of steps from the bottom up to the top of the side of the crack (where I'm crossing in the first photo)... Still an excellent day out on the skies at Craig Meggie!

I found four photos of that day out.

Anyway have fun and enjoy the hills, might see me and the wife stuck somewhere else, haha..

;)
Attachments
snow gap.jpg
The Crack in the gully....
CraigMeggie3.JPG
Ski's and Boots at the loch
CraigMeggie1.JPG
At the loch
CraigMeggie2.JPG
Heading up
8.png
2022 Speedwing - Craig Meggie
7.png
6.png
5.png
4.png
3.png
2.png
1.png
J01VNO
Mountaineer

Postby davgil » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:48 pm

I don't suppose too many people get replies to their posts 10 years later :)
What a set of coincidences, me taking the photo, posting it, someone seeing it then meeting you...and even then it might not have come up in the conversation!
Thanks for posting, it's a 10 year old mystery solved and so glad it had a good ending :)
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby J01VNO » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:40 am

davgil wrote:I don't suppose too many people get replies to their posts 10 years later :)
What a set of coincidences, me taking the photo, posting it, someone seeing it then meeting you...and even then it might not have come up in the conversation!
Thanks for posting, it's a 10 year old mystery solved and so glad it had a good ending :)

Yep, I agree. Its not offen I have people telling me they think they seen us in a random photo on walk highland 10 years later... I like the photo you got of us assessing how to get across the crack. 👍

Thought you might like the one of me crossing the crack, its a good photo.

It was a fantastic day that day with the blue skys and no wind. We have skied the main gully about 5/6 times now and also done most of the other avalable routs down the left and right side of the mountain. Just the steeper gully to the left of the main gully to go 👍

Never know might get a photo of us stuck in it one day. 😀

Cheers for the reply and hopefully catch you up on a munro one day 👍
J01VNO
Mountaineer

Postby davgil » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:28 am

Yes, the scale of what you had to cross was impressive...not for the fainthearted :)

Enjoy and take care out there!
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland