walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A day on Beinn Mheadhoin

A day on Beinn Mheadhoin

by John Burgess » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:52 am

Route description: Beinn Mheadhoin & Derry Cairngorm, Deeside

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin

Date walked: 26/09/2009

Distance: 23 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A day on Beinn Mheadhoin

Postby mountain coward » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:05 am

Is this walk from about 30 years ago? I heard that Bob Scott's had burnt down in the 70s! Or is this a new bothy? Where exactly is it?

Glen Derry is my joint favourite place in the world along with Glen Ey I think!

When I was on the summit of Beinn Mheadhoin it was blowing a hoolie so noone went up the tor! It looks similar to things we have on our moors though - I'm a lot braver on our tors as the rock is very grippy being gritstone!
mountain coward

Postby John Burgess » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:12 am

mountain coward wrote:Is this walk from about 30 years ago? I heard that Bob Scott's had burnt down in the 70s! Or is this a new bothy? Where exactly is it?

Hi MC,

The old Bob Scotts (by Luibeg cottage) did indeed burn down many years ago - I did get to stay there once but that must be 25 years back. It was eventually rebuilt on it's present site which is on the East bank of the Lui Water about 300 metres South East of the junction of the Luibeg burn and the Derry burn. The rebuilt bothy again burnt down a few years ago and a 3rd bothy was built on it's remains by the Friends of Bob Scotts. The trees near the door still show the scorching from the fire.
Hope you get up Ben Mheadhoin on a better day some time. We need the piccie of you on top of the Tor :D

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby John Burgess » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:23 am

doogz wrote:I cant believe it ..as victor meldrew says.....8)

Hi Doogz,

I suspect I was on Beinn Mheadhoin a week earlier than you are thinking. I was on Carn an Righ last Sunday and saw the snow that you met falling :roll:

DSC_0061.jpg
Storm over the Devils Point

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:43 am

Thanks for that John, you've really captured the magic of the Cairngorms in that report for me - stunning pics too, and you may be a rival for Kinley on the wildlife shots :D .
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby John Burgess » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks Paul, glad you enjoyed it. Don't think I'll ever have the patience to get proper wildlife photos though - I just snap away at whatever happens to cross my path before it disappears. I have many photos of the backside of deer :lol:

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby Stretch » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:48 pm

John, great report, truly captures the essence of the Cairngorms! I really need to get back up that way, been heading west too much lately. Looking forward to your next report!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Glenrothes » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:01 pm

Seems like whilst you were walking on Beinn Mheadhoin I was completing the Bienn Bhrotain and Monadh Mor hills.

Agreed, it was a beautiful day but what a complete contrast to the week later when your photo of snow showers sliding across the Devils Point.

Great report mate.

Beinn Bhrotain and Monadr Mor 011.JPG
A sunnier Devils Point
Glenrothes

Postby bio-man » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:53 pm

EXcellent report and pics John.......and why wasn'y I invited???? :D :D
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Postby Graeme D » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:20 pm

mountain coward wrote:Glen Derry is my joint favourite place in the world along with Glen Ey I think!

Agree with MC on that one - two fantastic locations. I love Glen Derry up beyond the lodge. Despite the fact that I'm up there every spring time supervising Duke of Edinburgh assessments, I never tire of it.

Brilliant report John - I especially like the pictures looking over Coire Etchecan to the loch and Macdui and also to DC, and also the colours of the one looking up Glen Derry towards Beinn Mheadhoin. Would have loved to have managed to fit this one in when I was camping up there in July but the weather had other ideas. :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby John Burgess » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:16 am

bio-man wrote:EXcellent report and pics John.......and why wasn'y I invited???? :D :D

Thanks Michael :D

I was up there from Thursday to Sunday so figured you'd have been working :(
How about a day next weekend?

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby John Burgess » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:37 am

Graeme Dewar wrote: Agree with MC on that one - two fantastic locations. I love Glen Derry up beyond the lodge. Despite the fact that I'm up there every spring time supervising Duke of Edinburgh assessments, I never tire of it.

Thanks Graeme,
D of E is the reason I've walked past Beinn Mheadhoin so often - training expeditions heading over the Lairig an Laoigh. I finally managed to give that up after 25 years! It's interesting to see the changes in the upper Glen over the years. The bulldozed track has come and gone (thankfully) in the time since I first headed up there and now it's good to see the regeneration going on. A magic place.

All the best,

John

DSC_0090.jpg
Why we need regeneration!
John Burgess

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:32 am

Excellent report, what cracking weather and pics :D

On this day I was in the Mammores in thick cloud!

I'm curious, who was this Bob Scott guy?
Last edited by HighlandSC on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby yokehead » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:12 pm

One of the best set of report photos I've seen on WH 8) although, strangely, it's also got to me with a negative result since it's raised the suffering of itchy feet to hard very severe proportions. Me being stuck so far away, how I wish I could just pop to the hills of a weekend. :D :(
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby John Burgess » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:40 pm

HighlandSC wrote:I'm curious, who was this Bob Scott guy?

Hi there,

Bob Scott was a keeper at the Derry lodge many years ago. He was, it seems, one of the real characters that you get in such places and well known to the walkers and climbers of the day. I seem to recall an article by Tom Weir mentioning the 'golf course' that he had created around the Derry Lodge, for example!

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby John Burgess » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:44 pm

yokehead wrote:Me being stuck so far away, how I wish I could just pop to the hills of a weekend. :D :(

Thanks for the kind words. I spent a few years working in Bedfordshire in my dim and distant past so know exactly what you mean.

All the best,

John
John Burgess

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland