walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart Day 1. Munro Bagging Without a Beard

Knoydart Day 1. Munro Bagging Without a Beard

Postby mountain thyme » Thu May 03, 2012 11:27 pm

Route description: Luinne Bheinn and Meall Bhuidhe, Inverie, Knoydart

Munros included on this walk: Luinne Bheinn, Meall Buidhe (Knoydart)

Date walked: 28/04/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1952m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When I started hillwalking over 2 years ago many of my friends and family used to ask me what was the point of climbing munros and ‘ what enjoyment did I get by walking up to the top of a hill and then back down again?’

At the time I was reading Muriel Grays book The First Fifty munro bagging without a beard…… and each time I was asked that question I would try to answer the same way that she did…. And this was……

‘ Because it mixes the challenge of strenuous exercise with the reward of an amazing view, a fuller understanding of the geography of our land and intoxicating amounts of fresh air’

One of my reasons for climbing munros was to see more of Scotland. I was ashamed to say that I didn’t know Scotland that well until I started hillwalking….I knew Ireland like the back of my hand but could not tell you where many a place in Scotland was situated on the map…. And now im about to present a Scottish holiday programme!

Well Knoydart certainly done it for me…. Strenuous exercise, amazing views. Improved my understanding of the geography of our land ( and no Mo you cant cycle around the island of Knoydart! Haha) …intoxicating amounts of fresh air….and a few well deserved beers thrown in….

When I started reading up on Knoydart I fancied reaching it by ferry rather than the long walk in.
We ( Johnny Corbett, Mo and Jimmy) travelled from Mallaig to Knoydart on the Western Isles ferry… Very friendly chappies too they were..the ferry men that is.

Stayed in the Knoydart Foundation Bunkhouse… the 4 of us sharing a room with 2 guys until Mo rearranged them to another room the following evening.. after rearranging the tables, chairs, lamps, sofas, fires, beers…..What were you diagnosed with again Mo … from the psychotherapist? MAD as a hatter!

Started our walk from the Bunkhouse following the excellent track up towards the monument. A short distance from the monument we took the track off to the right and crossed over the Inverie river towards Druim Bothy. Keeping on the track towards a second bridge and headed north east up the Druim Righeanach. We kept the walking in order of ages…. Therefore we let Jimmy lead and I kept at the back!!
Quite a slog up this hill especially in the heat… and with me carry all the supplies again.

Gained the ridge and headed east to the summit of Meall Bhuidhe. Munro 280 for me.

We decided to keep going and headed to the Bealach Ile coire and down passed Meall Coire na Gaoithe n Ear where we stopped for lunch and sampled some of the delights a friend had given me from his army kit…

Here we chatted with a female who came from my part of Glasgow… Maryhill.. according to JC she must be from the posh part … don’t know what he meant there! She had come down the west ridge off of Luinne Bheinn.. we headed up the grassy slopes of the east side of the ridge and headed west to reach the summit. Munro number 281!

Headed north west to Bachd Mhic an Tossaich and down to pick up the path at Mam Barrisdale along the Gleann an Dubh Lochain and back to the bunkhouse.
My feet were killing me to say the least as was Johnnys ....a breeze for Jimmy and Mo though. A few brufen at the pub and just to bring money into the economy of Knoydart we had to sample the Old Forge Bars food and beer. After this we were set up for the evening and ready for the next days adventure of Ladhar Bheinn

A fabulous day, stunning scenery and great company

10 hours
knoydart april2012 001.jpg
ferry from mallaig

knoydart april2012 012.jpg

knoydart april2012 009.jpg
hardcore!!

knoydart april2012 010.jpg

knoydart april2012 011.jpg
the reason johnnys feet were sore in his boots

knoydart april2012 013.jpg
inverie

knoydart april2012 019.jpg
1st bridge

knoydart april2012 023.jpg
Druim Bothy

knoydart april2012 024.jpg
2nd bridge

knoydart april2012 027.jpg

knoydart april2012 031.jpg
the ridge to Meall Bhuidhe

knoydart april2012 032.jpg
hat stop!!

knoydart april2012 033.jpg
water stop!!

knoydart april2012 035.jpg
bus stop!

knoydart april2012 038.jpg

knoydart april2012 044.jpg

knoydart april2012 045.jpg

knoydart april2012 046.jpg

knoydart april2012 047.jpg

knoydart april2012 050.jpg

knoydart april2012 051.jpg
loch hourn, barrisdale bay

knoydart april2012 052.jpg
hurry up johnny..its nearly closing time!

knoydart april2012 054.jpg
moooove oot the way

knoydart april2012 058.jpg
monument

knoydart april2012 059.jpg
our corbett room
Last edited by mountain thyme on Mon May 07, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Knoydart Day 1. Munro Bagging Without a Beard

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri May 04, 2012 7:46 am

A great account of not only our first walk of Knoydart but also how you started your Munro bagging days, i'm sure most people will relate to that story. It was as allready said a fab weekend one of if not the best weekend any of us has spent on the hills. One thing you forgot to mention was that you 3 lazy sods couldn'y get out your beds on the Monday morning to climed the Corbett of the room we were sleeping in before catching our boat home. :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby dogplodder » Fri May 04, 2012 9:20 am

Just one to go - and you've done them all in two years? :shock: :D :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Scotjamie » Fri May 04, 2012 11:02 am

Thanks MT
Superb report from a great wee bagger
from a superb place based on a great book
...nuff said
Am away for a month.... so hope you wait till June for top-out.
That is if you are seeking company, in which case Schiehallion might be the busiest wee hill ever.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby bryonie » Fri May 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Go mountain thyme!! Look forward to meeting you again on another walk again soon! :)
bryonie
Munro compleatist

Munros:61   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Postby Tomsie » Fri May 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Good report and not long till your a Munroist.

Was asked that question by a fellow worker few weeks back told him it was for the views and a new hobby never mentioned it was strenuous :lol:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby mountain thyme » Fri May 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:A great account of not only our first walk of Knoydart but also how you started your Munro bagging days, i'm sure most people will relate to that story. It was as allready said a fab weekend one of if not the best weekend any of us has spent on the hills. One thing you forgot to mention was that you 3 lazy sods couldn'y get out your beds on the Monday morning to climed the Corbett of the room we were sleeping in before catching our boat home. :lol:

we done the corbett while you were still sleeping :)

dogplodder wrote:Just one to go - and you've done them all in two years? :shock: :D :clap:

cheers dogplodder...over 2 and under 3 years..1 .will need to check to see when i actually started and work out how long it takes me to compleat :)

Scotjamie wrote:Thanks MT
Superb report from a great wee bagger
from a superb place based on a great book
...nuff said
Am away for a month.... so hope you wait till June for top-out.
That is if you are seeking company, in which case Schiehallion might be the busiest wee hill ever.

thanks scotjamie

bryonie wrote:Go mountain thyme!! Look forward to meeting you again on another walk again soon! :)

:D
Tomsie wrote:Good report and not long till your a Munroist.

Was asked that question by a fellow worker few weeks back told him it was for the views and a new hobby never mentioned it was strenuous :lol:

cheers tomsie...its also for the well deserved drink awiting you at the bottom :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby morag1 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:37 pm

I have enjoyed "following" you around the Munros this past while and it seems incredible that you've come to the end, and in such a short time.

I know I'll never do all the Munros but maybe, another time, another place, things would have been different.

Best wishes for your final climb :D
morag1

Postby kath098 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:59 pm

Loved your report and photos. I have Knoydart pencilled into the diary for June but there is now some doubt over my companion for the trip. Your report has made me determined to go for it whatever. :)
kath098
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:4

Postby Jock McJock » Sat May 05, 2012 8:32 pm

Top stuff again MT. Great pics too. All in 2 and a bit years eh? Bet you're well chuffed :D People just don't get it, until they try it or see some pics like yours, then they start to understand. From Maryhill to all the hills, almost, well done! :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dooterbang » Sun May 06, 2012 10:15 am

2 maryhill Munters on the one hill, fantastic :lol:

Well done MT, some weekend.

Hope you get the weather for the final Munro.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby davetherave » Sun May 06, 2012 10:44 am

Wishing you all the best on completion.
Hope you have a fantastic day.

Dave
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby mountain thyme » Sun May 06, 2012 7:47 pm

morag1 wrote:I have enjoyed "following" you around the Munros this past while and it seems incredible that you've come to the end, and in such a short time.

I know I'll never do all the Munros but maybe, another time, another place, things would have been different.

Best wishes for your final climb :D

thanks for your kind comments yet again morag........ never say never... if i can do it so can anyone :D

kath098 wrote:Loved your report and photos. I have Knoydart pencilled into the diary for June but there is now some doubt over my companion for the trip. Your report has made me determined to go for it whatever. :)

thanks kath.... you def need to go.... one of my favourite areas so far :D

Jock McJock wrote:Top stuff again MT. Great pics too. All in 2 and a bit years eh? Bet you're well chuffed :D People just don't get it, until they try it or see some pics like yours, then they start to understand. From Maryhill to all the hills, almost, well done! :D

Thanks JMcJ i can count in my 2 hands how many nice days ive had weather wise since i started walking.... and last weekend was one of them.... and it made up for all the crappy misty days ive had with no views :)

dooterbang wrote:2 maryhill Munters on the one hill, fantastic :lol:

Well done MT, some weekend.

Hope you get the weather for the final Munro.

cheers dooters..... framptons was empty last weekend :D

davetherave wrote:Wishing you all the best on completion.
Hope you have a fantastic day.

Dave

cheers dave :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby Jimmy Craghopper » Mon May 07, 2012 12:30 am

Great Report Mt
Mo and I had a great weekend with Great company. Will catch you up for your last munro, Might even let you lead the way since its your expedition. : :D
Jimmy Craghopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:40
Fionas:10   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby mountain thyme » Mon May 07, 2012 11:03 pm

Jimmy Craghopper wrote:Great Report Mt
Mo and I had a great weekend with Great company. Will catch you up for your last munro, Might even let you lead the way since its your expedition. : :D

cheers jimmy... nice to see you on here... ill need to lead cos if we let the other expedition leader lead... i might not compleat :D
mountain thyme
Walker

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland