walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

half an arete

half an arete

Postby welshwalker » Sat May 05, 2012 10:53 pm

Munros included on this walk: Carn Mor Dearg

Date walked: 05/05/2012

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked up near the visitor centre, good weather and made good progress up the path. At the lochan, we turned off and headed round toward the North face and the CIC hut.

We decided to head straight up to CMD from the CIC hut, it is a pretty steep route up but I loved the views of the Ben all the way up. Toward the top, the ice and snow became widespread but didn't really provide any difficulty.

After lunch, we spoke to a few folk who were also thinking of following the arete around to the Ben but were also put off by the amount of snow. Whilst procrastinating, we watched the progress of a pair of walkers heading up to the arete via coire na ciste. One of whom fell, it looked pretty bad. The mountain rescue service were great, I phoned and they arranged a helicopter to go and help the walker who fell. Hoping he was ok, we were glad when they phoned to say that he wasn't as badly hurt as we had feared.

We headed back around toward the lochan and the main path. A really nice walk, esp with the good news about the walker. I will go back but I think for now it will be a Summer walk for me.
welshwalker

Munros:84   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   

Re: half an arete

Postby davetherave » Sun May 06, 2012 8:37 am

Thank goodness the walker was not seriously hurt.
As for the mountain rescue.. well no amount of praise would ever be enough.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Grahams:26   Donalds:5

Postby Driver84 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:55 pm

Glad to get an update of the arete, was looking to do it sometime soon.

Glad to hear that the person concerned is ok! :)
What time at was the helicopter about?

Was in Glencoe on Saturday and I swore I could hear the fearful sound of a chopper, but wasn't at any height to see!

Incidently, CMD, the arete, and The Ben looked great. Vastly different from a week earlier.

Driver84
Mountaineer

Munros:46   
Grahams:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby welshwalker » Mon May 07, 2012 9:41 pm

The incident was very early afternoon. I think it took about an hour and a half or so for the helicopter to arrive although I didn't note the times. We were in glencoe Friday night camping, had a few jars in the pub and a nice sleep by the river. Seemed funny to wake up to a flurry in the morning :D
welshwalker

Munros:84   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland