walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean Nan Bian

Bidean Nan Bian

Postby thebaldfalcon » Sun May 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 06/05/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sat 5th May, great weather off we go, The usual suspects me my son Nicky and nephew Scott.
Edinburgh to Glencoe 2hrs, started accent 10am. Did W/H route except walked right up to Lochans then
off to the right past the crags, climbed up the to summit keeping close to the edge, fantastic route.
Must say Stob Coire nan Lochan is for me is the best peak out of the three and cant understand how its not
a Munro. its no closer to Bidean than Stob Coire Sgreamhach(which is a Munro) and not as high.

We found our descent blocked by ice/snow drift filling up the gully, no crampons or ice picks hmmm.
thought about descending down Stob Coire Sgreamhach and heading along Beinn Fhada but not
sure if we would get down along that route either, so we headed back to bealach and tried climbing
down next to the gully but it was icy and just to dangerous so I thought I would slide 200ft all the way down
the gully on my butt followed by Nick then Scott after the saw that I didn't die.
Nicky actually filmed it on his mob (see attach) whilst sliding.

The lost valley is spectacular and so far my best Munro.
Attachments
DSC_0510_0858.JPG
saw this herd of wild deer
DSC_0522_0870.JPG
DSC_0516_0864.JPG
DSC_0498_0846.JPG
HERE COMES NICK
DSC_0446_0794.JPG
SPOT THE PTARMIGAN
DSC_0452_0800.JPG
JUST ENJOYING THE VIEW
DSC_0450_0798.JPG
VIEW WALKING UP CRAGGS TO SUMMIT
DSC_0421_0769.JPG
DSC_0428_0776.JPG
DSC_0418_0766.JPG
thebaldfalcon

Munros:102   Corbetts:24
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Bidean Nan Bian

Postby Jock McJock » Sun May 06, 2012 9:10 pm

Cracking stuff. Yet to do this one, seen it from the other side of the road last week though so can't wait to get in there :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Bidean Nan Bian

Postby thebaldfalcon » Mon May 07, 2012 7:30 am

Jock McJock wrote:Cracking stuff. Yet to do this one, seen it from the other side of the road last week though so can't wait to get in there :D

Cheers Jock, how was "the one across the road", I'm desperate to try it.
thebaldfalcon

Munros:102   Corbetts:24
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland