walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The virgin and the axe murderer – Rated bog free

The virgin and the axe murderer – Rated bog free

Postby Mountainlove » Mon May 07, 2012 10:42 am

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Oss

Date walked: 05/05/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Ascent: 1272m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Reading through the forums always gives me great pleasure and sometimes you come across a new member request for hill walking buddies. But lets be honest, seeing a request from someone without any experience, or walk reports or a picture, is not the greatest candidate, after all god knows what strangers they actually could be. :o :shock: :o

When I actually I across such message I thought exactly the same, but then reading words like…I would love to climb Munros, but I don’t have a walking buddy or a car, reminded me about myself many many moons ago. Thinking a few days about it and being reminded about ‘Do a good thing every day’ I contacted that member to inquire about fitness level and what he was actually looking to do.

After an exchange of a couple of messages and a phone call to discuss logistics, we arranged to meet Saturday morning. As I was asked to pick the Munro/s I decided that xxx and Ben Oss looked like a good day out, which would mean I also would complete the group of 4.

Arranging to meet a complete stranger for a hillwalk, especially when you are a female can be quite nerve wracking. After all it could be a mass murderer, rapist or good knows what, :shock: :shock: :shock: but as first impressions never failed me I decided that if alarm bells would start to go off I could always bail out. 8)
When he arrived first impressions were positive and after a chat we set off up north. During the journey up I also found out that he had been a bit worried and had me down as a potential axe murderer. :twisted: :wtf:

So the Munro virgin and the axe murderer set off to do one of the boggiest Munros in Scotland… :D

We started the walk at 9:30 and chatting away we completely missed the cut off point to the hill, it was in fact a good half an hour later when I suddenly thought…hold on this mountain is supposed to be terrible boggy…and we are on a perfectly dry and wide path…what happened??? :-? :?: :shifty:
Checking the GPS I saw we were indeed still on the way to the hill but actually well past the cut off point. Looking up the mountain and the map I decided to cut down the hill, cross a wee burn and stay to the side of the forest. A decision which turned out to be brilliant, as the bog factor was 0. It was also pretty easy to navigate as you only have to keep the forest to your left and head up the hill. :D :D :D
Path.jpg
The bogfree way up

DSC00600.JPG
Crossing the burn on the way up

DSC00608.JPG
The path up along the forest

DSC00611.JPG
Looking back...the 'normal' path is on the other side of the burn

When we arrived at the open hillsite the path I choose joined the other path so it was great as we found the original path again and managed to walk up to Beinn Dubhchraig.
Seeing Andys proud face when he reached the top was brilliant and together with another hillwalker I met on the way up, we congratulated him on Munro Nr1.
DSC00612.JPG
Andy approaching his 1 Munro

While Andy looked around, totally gobsmacked and constantly repeated how amazing everything is and that he can’t believe how many mountains there are, he left me quite touched because it was like being reminded about the first time I stood on top of my first Munro and was amazed about everything.

DSC00623.JPG
Ben Oss

DSC00620.JPG
me as Munro guide for the day

DSC00640.JPG

DSC00634.JPG
Walking up Ben Oss

After having something to eat, I had to drag him off the top in order to climb Ben Oss…reminding him there are equally nice views.
Following the path between the 2 Munros is pretty easy and you only loose about 250m in height. Continuing along the past, I suddenly realized we missed the official path and started walking around the site of the mountain :crazy: (easily done) Looking up I saw 3 opportunities…continue and walk up from the left, walk back a wee bit and climb it from the right, or straight up for a bit of scrambling fun.

I explained the 3 options to Andy and asked him what he fancied doing…to my surprise he also fancied the scrambling part and so he followed me up the steep mountain site. Again a great choice, as it just adds a bit of fun to the walk and you can make a round out of it.

From the top of Ben Oss you have great views across to Ben Lui and from there we walked back the ‘normal’ path back up Beinn Dubhchraig and down again. Coming to the point where we walked up to the forest, we decided to give it a miss and walk back down the boggy path, as the ground was pretty dry. Urgh bad decision! Even though it was better than I feared, it was still pretty boggy and in comparison to the other path a bad choice. But at the end we managed it back to the car with many breaks about 8h after setting off in the morning.

DSC00647.JPG
Ben Lui

DSC00656.JPG

DSC00658.JPG
The bridge on the other side

On reflection about using this forum also to meet people to go for hillwalks with, I would like to say to anyone who also shyed away taking inexperienced people to the hills…give them a chance as well, as I found it pretty rewarding and after all I had a great day out. :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: The virgin and the axe murderer – Rated bog free

Postby KeithS » Mon May 07, 2012 11:18 am

Looks like you had a good day, glad you survived without murdering each other. It is a good feeling introducing someone new to the Munros and watching their reaction.
When I did these two it was so windy I had to crawl on my hands and knees along the col between the two of them to stop myself from blowing away (and I'm not exactly light :( )
They must have put that red line in since I did this walk, it must make it easier to navigate. :lol:
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby quoman » Mon May 07, 2012 11:42 am

I still remember that felling when you get to the top of your first munro absolutely nackered but the smile stays on you face till you get to bed.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby kevsbald » Mon May 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Isn't this what it is all about? Well done you for being a good sport.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Fudgie » Mon May 07, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm sure thats him got the bug now :D

I think I'll follow your route when I do these two so well done for missing the bog out :thumbup:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Mountainlove » Mon May 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Keith Sayliss wrote:They must have put that red line in since I did this walk, it must make it easier to navigate. :lol:

Its incredible which red lines you can follow nowadays :lol: :lol:

quoman wrote:I still remember that felling when you get to the top of your first munro absolutely nackered but the smile stays on you face till you get to bed.

Lol and being so sore the day after...luckely that is in the past now!

@ Kev - thanks!! :D

Fudgie wrote:I'm sure thats him got the bug now :D
I think I'll follow your route when I do these two so well done for missing the bog out :thumbup:

Its worth it even though the walk through the old forest is pretty as well (minus the bog factor)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Meatball » Mon May 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Believe it or not you followed the same "mistakes" as me a few years ago! Lol
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby dooterbang » Mon May 07, 2012 6:02 pm

That you bombed Marco out already, and for a stranger :lol:

Well done for showing that virgin the way, your an experienced lady :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Mountainlove » Mon May 07, 2012 6:18 pm

Meatball wrote:Believe it or not you followed the same "mistakes" as me a few years ago! Lol

Lol thats funny, but I guess easily done :lol: :lol:

dooterbang wrote:That you bombed Marco out already, and for a stranger :lol:

Lol just wasnt able to convince Marco to go hillwalking on a weekly basis :lol: :lol: it requires a certain madness :shock: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby dooterbang » Mon May 07, 2012 6:20 pm

Mountainlove wrote:
Meatball wrote:Believe it or not you followed the same "mistakes" as me a few years ago! Lol

Lol thats funny, but I guess easily done :lol: :lol:

dooterbang wrote:That you bombed Marco out already, and for a stranger :lol:

Lol just wasnt able to convince Marco to go hillwalking on a weekly basis :lol: :lol: it requires a certain madness :shock: :lol:
I;m sure it wont take long though, it'l rub off on him :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby tamw51 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:22 pm

Good, id imagine it would be a nailbiting thought wondering what theyre gonna be like!id probly be hiding in my car and look them up and down first, before getting out! :lol:

You got a good day, was up yesterday views not so good!
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby JOXSTER » Tue May 08, 2012 9:48 am

The virgin survives another day! still sore, but my, what a day! probably the best day ever!!!! :D. My "guide" Maya was excellent. Glad we both took the chance! still wary incase she decided she'd had enough of me and would try to throw me off the mountain :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think every-one deserves a chance to go and do stuff like this.
yes we/they are strangers, but it's a chance to meet new people with the same passion and like Maya, you might be pleasantly surprised :D.
Must say though i was absolutely knackered! :lol: I had tons of fun, even when i kept falling on my backside, i laughed it off, what else is there to do? was funny though :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad i scrambled up Ben Oss. that is what it is about for me. a little danger keeps you alive especially when your flagging :!: Can't wait for my next munro.
Thank you sooooooooo much Maya for taking me and for a very rewarding and enjoyable day!!
Very proud of myself.
JOXSTER
Munro compleatist

Munros:2   

Postby weescotsman » Tue May 08, 2012 9:58 am

Did more or less this same route a couple of years ago as we missed the cairn just after the railway bridge as well, only found out on our way back that it had been knocked over, hence us missing it.

I did the upwardly scramble as well, luckily for me the wind was at my back as there were a few hairy, scary moments when I questioned my choice of route. The others with me went round the longer path and were sitting waiting for me for ages........... :o
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby monty » Tue May 08, 2012 10:15 am

Superb ML. What a star you are. Great report. taking a stranger (now a friend) for there first munro or two. Nice set of photos again and pathfinding on the way. Superb. :D
monty

Postby brpro26 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:54 pm

I'm glad you owned up to being the Axe Murderer...broken in another one...well done. :clap:

Makes your day more satisfying when you see how much he enjoyed it...good to give some back.
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland