walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Derry Cairngorm with lots of Beans!

Derry Cairngorm with lots of Beans!

by RTMcB » Mon May 07, 2012 11:53 am

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Bhreac

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac, Beinn Mheadhoin, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 06/05/2012

Time taken: 10.25 hours

Distance: 33.6 km

Ascent: 1774m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Derry Cairngorm with lots of Beans!

Postby Del246 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:34 pm

Good report, I was with Meatball when you passed on your bikes !! Well done on the 4, Im in Meatballs bad books for only doing 2 :lol: . I have just posted my report !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SMRussell » Tue May 08, 2012 8:41 am

Meatball wrote:Did you see all the white horses between Braemar and Cairnwell?

The ones near the parking place for An Socach? We did indeed and we noted them the previous weekend also - they almost seemed mythical. Gorgeous though. Oh and the deer were everywhere - great day for animal spotting.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby SMRussell » Tue May 08, 2012 8:48 am

simon-b wrote:That's a long route to do in snowy conditions carrying winter equipment, well done, RT and SM! I suppose the bikes helped.

I've been considering the very same route for this summer, after the snow's gone but walking all the way. So this report is helpful. You linked Beinn a' Chaorainn and Beinn Mheadhoin with a route very similar to one advised to me by rockhopper and malky-c recently, so it's good to see it worked out well.

I'm also wanting to do Beinn a' Bhuird and Ben Avon (together) the same week so your recent trips have been interesting. The problem for someone living outside Scotland is doing two walks of this length during a week in the Cairngorms. I'd be walking every day, none of the routes short (eg. Carn an Fhidhleir - An Sgarsoch).

Do you think it's possible to do a whole week of walks like this?
Nice shot of the stag, by the way. I like the photos from BM summit as well.

Cheers Simon.
As for a week of long walks, I guess your fitness level is the key issue. We did 4 days on the trot back in March. That is definitely doable but none of them were mega walks (21km - 25km - 19.2km - 19km). I think it might be best to balance it out with shorter walks in between the longer ones but it really boils down to what you feel up to and tiredness as the week progresses. I personally would go for the big walks but have back-up plans if you feel fatigued as the week goes on. Also, as much as I like camping I know that a comfy hotel bed was much appreciated during your 4 day walking trip.
SMRussell

Postby RTMcB » Tue May 08, 2012 8:57 am

simon-b wrote:That's a long route to do in snowy conditions carrying winter equipment, well done, RT and SM! I suppose the bikes helped.

I've been considering the very same route for this summer, after the snow's gone but walking all the way. So this report is helpful. You linked Beinn a' Chaorainn and Beinn Mheadhoin with a route very similar to one advised to me by rockhopper and malky-c recently, so it's good to see it worked out well.

I'm also wanting to do Beinn a' Bhuird and Ben Avon (together) the same week so your recent trips have been interesting. The problem for someone living outside Scotland is doing two walks of this length during a week in the Cairngorms. I'd be walking every day, none of the routes short (eg. Carn an Fhidhleir - An Sgarsoch).

Do you think it's possible to do a whole week of walks like this?

Nice shot of the stag, by the way. I like the photos from BM summit as well.

You might be able to rent a bike from somewhere in Braemar, if you wanted to? Most walks from Braemar benefit from cycling in: Derry Lodge great track; ben avon, not such a great track but ok. For Carn an Fhidhleir & An Sgarsoch, I'm not sure the state of the entire track but I believe the track to the White bridge is great for cycling then maybe track to Geldie Lodge (ruin) is ok for a MTB? But there's a river crossing there :shock:

For my 30th we did 11 munros in 4 days: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20068. Mostly long long walks. My limiting factor for walking is getting a good nights sleep - ducks at the Invercauld campsite don't help :evil:
RTMcB
Munro compleatist

Munros:147   Corbetts:18
Fionas:16   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:63   

Postby SMRussell » Tue May 08, 2012 3:03 pm

RTMcB wrote: My limiting factor for walking is getting a good nights sleep - ducks at the Invercauld campsite don't help :evil:

Poor Invercauld ducks, they're cuteness makes up for their flagrant disregard for human sleeping patterns :D
InverDuck1.jpg
Invercauld duck

InverDuck3.jpg

InverDuck4.jpg

InverDuck5.jpg
SMRussell

Postby simon-b » Tue May 08, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks for the advice, SM and RT, much appreciated.

SM, your idea of mixing harder and easier days is pretty much what I've done in Scotland so far. So a strategy of going for the long walks but with easier backup plans sounds spot on.

RT, good point about a decent night's sleep. A fine reason for a pint and a dram with the evening meal rather than coffee :D
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby dooterbang » Tue May 08, 2012 11:36 pm

SMRussell wrote:
dooterbang wrote:Another big walk from yous two, well done.

That SMRussell is very kind in helping you with the leg over maneuver :lol:

I've still to do these 4 and will be looking to very soon.

Cheers.

I'm the girl to call when you need a leg over... Oh... wait a minute :shock:

Hope you enjoy this set DB - some cracking views :D
Thanks i will SM...if i require a leg over i'll probably phone Ghostbusters :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SMRussell » Wed May 09, 2012 7:42 am

dooterbang wrote:Thanks i will SM...if i require a leg over i'll probably phone Ghostbusters :lol:

Not sure whether offended or relieved! But I'm sure you'd be alright and I'd probably be too busy satisfying RTMcB's needs anyway - a wife's work is never done!
SMRussell

Postby dooterbang » Wed May 09, 2012 12:17 pm

SMRussell wrote:
dooterbang wrote:Thanks i will SM...if i require a leg over i'll probably phone Ghostbusters :lol:

Not sure whether offended or relieved! But I'm sure you'd be alright and I'd probably be too busy satisfying RTMcB's needs anyway - a wife's work is never done!

Taking Care in the Community to new levels :lol:

Just wondering if any man & wife walkers out there have completed together, that would be pretty cool?!

Hey RT/SM would i be able to cycle in using slicks on my mountain bike?
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby RTMcB » Wed May 09, 2012 1:10 pm

dooterbang wrote:Hey RT/SM would i be able to cycle in using slicks on my mountain bike?

The proper track should be ok, gets slightly rockier towards Derry Lodge. But path from Linn of Dee car park to first bridge is muddy and full of exposed tree roots.
RTMcB
Munro compleatist

Munros:147   Corbetts:18
Fionas:16   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:63   

Postby dooterbang » Wed May 09, 2012 1:51 pm

RTMcB wrote:
dooterbang wrote:Hey RT/SM would i be able to cycle in using slicks on my mountain bike?

The proper track should be ok, gets slightly rockier towards Derry Lodge. But path from Linn of Dee car park to first bridge is muddy and full of exposed tree roots.
Thanks RT - may take the chance with the slicks :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu May 10, 2012 3:37 pm

dooterbang wrote:
RTMcB wrote:

Thanks RT - may take the chance with the slicks :)

Are the slicks as slick and as smooth as you Doots? The ducks like that site because it floods during heavy rain as i found out last year when i was there with my caravan. Nice report and good effort doing the 4 :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu May 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Just wondering if any man & wife walkers out there have completed together, that would be pretty coo

I don't think man & wife stay together long enough nowadays to complete together :lol: I try to get Kim out more often but unfortunateley she has a real job :(
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby SMRussell » Thu May 10, 2012 4:43 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:The ducks like that site because it floods during heavy rain as i found out last year when i was there with my caravan. Nice report and good effort doing the 4 :thumbup:

Cheers JC, always good to tick off as many as you can in an outing. We experienced the flooding at Invercauld when we camped there to bag Beinn Iutharn Mhor & Carn Bhac back in September last year. We'd hoped to do a second day but the rain came down solidly until 17.00. So we made the most of it and spent the day investigating Braemar surrounded by many an American, nursed a couple of pints of real ale up at the The Moorfield House Hotel (best place for a pint in Braemar) before returning to the campsite to amuse ourselves with a jigsaw! It turned out to be a pretty good day :D
10.09.11 A550 44.jpg
Invercauld flooding

09.09.11 A550 116.jpg
Can you tell what it is yet?

09.09.11 A550 119.jpg
Jigsaw masters!
SMRussell

Postby dooterbang » Thu May 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Just wondering if any man & wife walkers out there have completed together, that would be pretty coo

I don't think man & wife stay together long enough nowadays to complete together :lol: I try to get Kim out more often but unfortunateley she has a real job :(
man and wife fall out all time, hills get in the way :lol:
...and yes Johnny, very slick :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland