walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Four Seasons on Beinn Bhuidhe!

Four Seasons on Beinn Bhuidhe!

Postby Scotsman2012 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 06/05/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Bhuidhe.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Rain, hail, snow, wind and sunshine - welcome to Scottish summertime! :D

I was away from the car park at the top of Loch Fyne just after 9am with the long walk to the bottom of the hill ahead of me. A bike is definitely recommened for this part, especially the walk back! It's also recommended if you're not too keen on big hielan coos as well - my heart was racing and stomach churning after my last encounter with cows saw me & my Dad being chased by a herd of them whilst walking part of the Ayrshire Coastal Path last month! Thankfully they seemed quite docile and hardly seemed bothered with my presence.

I reached the bike railings after an hour then the cottage at Inverchorachain a further 25 minutes later.

Beinn Bhuidhe 002.jpg
Approaching the cottage at Inverchorachain

Beinn Bhuidhe 003.jpg
View from the cottage along Glen Fyne towards Ben Lui

Having read how wet & boggy some sections can be between this point and the top, I put my gaiters on just beyond the gates and that's when the first hail shower started. Most the day now would be interrupted with showers of various sorts and me stopping to either put on or take off my waterproof jacket!

Beinn Bhuidhe 005.jpg
Looking towards the gorge from the gates

The going up the gorge was good and not too difficult - until I reached the awkward bit! I'm not the best at taking risks on the hills and would normally have taken the easy option and gone the detour route but I decided to give it a go this time! I knew what I wanted to do but not being the tallest or slimmest, I wasn't sure if I could manage it. After sizing it up for a few minutes then getting into position (ooh-err!), I made sure my feet & hands were solidly gripped then went for it - and made it! What was all the fuss about I wondered afterwards - although I was shaking like a leaf for 30 seconds or so afterwards! :D

Beinn Bhuidhe 006.jpg
The awkward bit!

Beinn Bhuidhe 007.jpg
Another hail shower at the top of the gorge

It's fairly straightforward after here until you reach the steep climb after the boggy mid section, although I'm sure that bit would be much more difficult after a few weeks of wet weather. The same could be said for the climb up the gully as there are a few muddy bits but, thankfully for me, it wasn't too bad yesterday.

At the top of the gully, the views open up to the north and west - I'm sure most will know these hills better than me...

Beinn Bhuidhe 008.jpg

Beinn Bhuidhe 009.jpg

From here, it's a good path to the top and I reached it after about 30 minutes. Good views all round, apart from the hail & snow showers! :D

Beinn Bhuidhe 014.jpg

Beinn Bhuidhe 015.jpg

Beinn Bhuidhe 016.jpg

Beinn Bhuidhe 019.jpg

Beinn Bhuidhe 012.jpg

I stayed at the top for about half an hour until the wind started getting stronger and another hail shower came down! It's just a case of retracing your steps back to the cairn at the top of the gully then heading left along the path and down the grassy slopes. Without a path for most of the route down, I found myself wandering quite a bit, trying to find the best route down. It did seem steep in some places mind you...

Beinn Bhuidhe 026.jpg

After a couple of slips on the way down, I was happy to hit the track down by the cottage again. Although I still had a hour and a half in front of me, it's a good walk and I was chuffed with the fact I had another munro ticked off the list!

Having passed the coos again, their owner (who I'd walked past as she was out checking on them) saved me about 15 minutes by offering me a lift back to the brewery. That's the 2nd outing in a row where someone has done me a wee favour - long may it continue! :)
Scotsman2012
Mountaineer

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Wainwrights:2   Islands:13

Re: Four Seasons on Beinn Bhuidhe!

Postby dooterbang » Tue May 08, 2012 11:06 am

Did this in March and really enjoyed it.

Your right about the bike - its great fun when finishing a walk.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Four Seasons on Beinn Bhuidhe!

Postby monty » Tue May 08, 2012 11:33 am

Did this one when it was really wet. It was pretty scary going up the gully and I was realy happy with the soft grassy descend on the other side. Nice report. cheers :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland