walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Achnashellach to Strathcarron

Achnashellach to Strathcarron

Postby dunrig » Tue May 08, 2012 2:09 am

Route description: Beinn Liath Mhor, Achnashellach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr, Maol Chean-dearg, Sgòrr Ruadh

Corbetts included on this walk: An Ruadh-stac

Date walked: 05/05/2012

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Caught the early train on sat from glasgow to achnashellach, on arrival did my impression of hardly moving as I heaved my pack along path to coire laire then up onto ridge of beinn liath mhor. Snow mist cleared as I reached top, you feel you can reach out and touch liathach from here. There was a baby in a backpack at top on route to sgurr ruadh, made me a bit worried but his dad seemed very sure-footed. Down over knoll to bealach, put tent up by lochan, then nipped up sgurr ruadh, also walked back along to stuc a'choire grannda for view down loch torridon, more snow on way.
Zipped up, tea on, snowstorm hit turned hills white within minutes. Gloriously sunny in morning, followed path to bealach ban then had wander about a delightful area of lochans & wee escarpments north of meal dearg, back on track to triple sided bealach between maol chean dear , meall nan ceapairean and an ruadh stac. Dumped pack, up moal chean dearg then loaded again for scramble up an ruadh stac(most enjoyable ascent of trip), then went south through another landscape of lochans, wee ridges and outcrops to tor na h-iolaire. Camped in forest, caught 7am monday train at strathcarron back to glasgow.
A few thoughts:
- surprised ground was so dry, even peat hags not bad
-not sure when taking your baby up a hill becomes an unjustifiable risk-how can I judge
-what stays in my mind is not just familar views of torridon hills and sea lochs but things on smaller scale-coire of terraced lochans in sun, the delightful strangeness of that landscape of numerious lochans, wee ridges, knolls etc in contrast to the more comfortably human strath as I walked out at 6am in morning-cock crowing,neat ,green, and ordered.
P1000803.JPG
coire laire
P1000815.JPG
grey ridge
P1000822.JPG
beinn eighe
P1000826.JPG
liathach
P1000832.JPG
loch torridon
P1000849.JPG
hills for tomorrow
P1000903.JPG
does anybody like tent pictures?
P1000920.JPG
sunset after snowstorm
P1000956.JPG
land of lochans
P1000994.JPG
an ruadh-stac
P1010006.JPG
liath mhor from maol chean-dearg
P1010021.JPG
more lochans in the sun
P1010022.JPG
most enjoyable ascent of trip
P1010025.JPG
maol chean-dearg
P1010029.JPG
way off an ruadh-stac(loch carron in distance)
P1010072.JPG
another tent picture-sun night
P1010068.JPG
neat strathcarron
P1010080.JPG
monday morning sunrise
Last edited by dunrig on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
dunrig

Re: Achnashellach to Strathcarron

Postby Lenore » Tue May 08, 2012 8:02 am

Sounds like a fun trip. Great pictures! And yes, I like tent pictures if the tent is pitched in absolutely stunning locations like that first one!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland