walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cracking day on Cairngorm

Cracking day on Cairngorm

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue May 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Route description: Cairn Gorm and the northern corries

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 15/01/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 615m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beautiful January morning forecast - haar on the coast - but lovely weather once we got away from the sea. The plan was to climb Cairngorm from the ski car park and come back the same route. This was to be the start us getting back to regular hill walking after a couple of very lean years - and to get fit for a trekking holiday in the High Atlas in October.

Had a brilliant walk up - very easy path, a little snow and ice - (skiers were using artificially created snow and few runs were open) ice around the Ptarmigan caused by lots of people trampling over the snow. Avoided that on the way up. Got to the top and took some photos, chatted to the other people up there, and set off down. We decided that we'd made good time so we'd just head back to the car for lunch - when whoosh - I walked over some ice I'd avoided on the way up and landed rather gracefully on my bum :lol: :lol: .

Given the difficulty in putting any weight on my left arm I guessed this slip would have complications. Thank goodness for the ski patrol who are first aiders - I was very quickly seen, assessed, patched up and given a free ride off the hill on the funicular - and we headed straight to Raigmore. More excellent treatment there - but a broken arm and dislocated wrist did mean no more hills for 8 weeks. Consolation - the Ptarmigan is a great place to have an accident in the Scottish hills :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland