walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corrour, Loch Treig, Loch Ossian and back to Corrour

Corrour, Loch Treig, Loch Ossian and back to Corrour

by rockhopper » Tue May 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Route description: Sgòr Gaibhre and Càrn Dearg from Corrour

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap, Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Chno Dearg, Sgòr Gaibhre, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 05/05/2012

Time taken: 14.5 hours

Distance: 38 km

Ascent: 2400m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Corrour, Loch Treig, Loch Ossian and back to Corrour

Postby rockhopper » Fri May 11, 2012 6:05 pm

thanks everyone

dooterbang wrote:I wonder what you have planned next????
have a few in mind up to the great glen (but not the two in glencoe until not on my own) :lol:
jonny616 wrote:Excellent report RH. Hope your axe was not too heavy :lol: . You'll need it if your are out this weekend.
that's me for a wee while unfortunately - hopefully won't need it when I'm next out 8)
pigeon wrote: beinn na lap down as the next one for my good lady,is it boggy?
a few boggy bits on the way up but nothing much really - there's a track which comes and goes but it's straightforward enough - hope she enjoys it :D
Johnny Corbett wrote:2hrs to spare at the station? i think you could have squeezed that Corbett in :lol:
:lol: not the way my feet were feeling at that point :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby rockhopper » Fri May 11, 2012 10:27 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:How does the tent hold up (Banshee 200, is it)?
yes it's a Vango Banshee 200. It seems to stand up well to the winds as long as I pitch it low end into the wind, has been watertight so far and doesn't seem to suffer from condensation (touch wood) - cheers :D

Merry-walker wrote:Wild camping is something I would love to try. Maybe one day :)
go on, you know you want to :lol: I'd never tried it before spring last year and must say I do enjoy it - allows you to get more immersed in an area and spend a wee bit longer than would be the case on a day trip - cheers :D
rockhopper

Postby chickadee » Sat May 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Amazing, I love that walk, I want to do it some day, so you've definitely inspired me. Beautiful photos too. I bet the sense of solitude you get out there is great.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun May 13, 2012 6:50 am

Great report RH. Loved the tent pics. :D
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:51 am

Great report and very inspiring.

I hope you don't mind me asking but :wink:

What pack weight do you carry when you start a walk like this?

Thanks

:crazy:
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:32 am

ScotFinn65 wrote:What pack weight do you carry when you start a walk like this?

This would have been my earlier days of wild camping so pack weight was about 18.5kg. I has a Berghaus bioflex rucksack which alone weighed about 2.5kg; also a synthetic sleeping bag at about 1.2kg, self inflating mat at about 0.5kg and tent about 2.0kg. Since then I've worked on the weights, eg now use an Osprey Exos 58l rucksack at about 1.1kg, ME Xero down bag at about 0.75kg. Current mat is an Xtherm which still weighs about 0.5kg but is a lot warmer than the self inflating mat. Still use the same tent at 2.0kg as I like it. All in, the last time I went wild camping my pack weighed a little under 14kg including food and 1.5l of water (and Sawyer mini filter). I find that weight acceptable for hilly walks but once it goes over 15kg I start to feel it a bit more as I get older. I know others can manage with a lot less weight but going on my own I probably carry a little more than the absolute minimum just in case. Hope this helps - cheers :)
rockhopper

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland