walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a'Ghiubhais - back to Beinn Eighe... well, almost!

Meall a'Ghiubhais - back to Beinn Eighe... well, almost!

Postby BlackPanther » Wed May 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Route description: Meall a' Ghiubhais, Loch Maree

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Ghiubhais

Date walked: 06/05/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 931m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I wouldn't be myself if I was deaf to the call of the hills, especially on bank holiday weekend. After an enjoyable coastal walk on Saturday, we took an opportunity to visit Torridon on Sunday.
It's only been a couple of months since my winter adventure on Beinn Eighe, my favourite ever Scottish mountain. My "The Ben". Since then I conquered a few other hills all over the Highlands, but The Ben always acts like a magnet - and so do all the other torridonian peaks. Among my photo collections there is one album called "Beinn Eighe seen from different angles" :D Am I on the edge of obsession??? :shock: Hopefully not.
The week before we climbed Fionn Bheinn and I was again gob smacked by the Torridon panorama. The Ben took central stage, its complicated ridge giving it a look of one big, white starfish. To the left, Liathach presented its massive bulk. My attention was drawn to a lower hill on the right hand side - I remembered there were two adjacent Corbetts near Beinn Eighe, so I guessed it must be one of them. I thought - what a viewpoint it has to be, so close to my favourite hill! And that's how Meall a'Ghiubhais moved to the very top of my "must-do" mountains.
Meall a'Ghiubhais (right), Beinn Eighe (middle) and Liathach (left) from Fionn Bheinn:
Luckily, weather gods favoured us and I didn't have to wait too long to execute my plans. On Sunday Torridon was probably the best area to climb, with very little wind and clear skies most of the time. Though we drove through one snow shower on the way up to Loch Maree, I kept my fingers crossed for good conditions. And my prayers were answered :lol: :lol:
Meall a'Ghiubhais route:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There are two possible ways up Meall a'Ghiubhais from the banks of Loch Maree. One starts from the Visitors Centre car park and goes up a pony track. This one is more convenient fo a longer route, if one wants to combine Meall a'Ghiubhais and the other Corbett, Ruadh-stac Beag. Kevin suggested the other approach (and the one recommended by WH :D ), beginning from the Coille na Glas Leitre Trails car park. He has once walked the Mountain Trail path and told me, with his "oh-I'm-so-experienced-a-climber" look, that it was worth adding to our trip. OK, hands up, Mr know-it-all was right.
The car park was deserted when we arrived (it was still early but I expected more people to have a taste for a Torridon walk):
It must have snowed quite heavily on the summits the previous night. Slioch put on a white hat:
We quickly got ready and started up the southern branch of the Mountain Trail. I must sincerely and wholeheartedly ( :? is my spelling correct???) recommend this circular trail to all hikers and walkers, it's steep and scramble-ish on higher levels, but what an adventure! Even if you don't feel up to climbing the Corbett itself and stay on the path, it's still a trip to remember!
I think I'll let photos speak now...
The initial stage of the Mountain Trail goes through lovely woodland:
Caledonia pines... and the steep slopes behind. We'll be scrambling up them in next to no time (the slopes, not the trees :lol: :lol: )!
Higher up - superb views down to Loch Maree and Slioch:
Along the loch:
The trail is steep most of the time, but about half-way up the real fun begins. NOT a path for the faint-hearted:
Ath nan Ceann, the delta of Kinlochewe River:
By the Trumpet Rock:
A tourist path??? :shock:
The trail continues... up this wall!
After some great fun on steep slopes, we emerged on more even ground, just to be overwhelmed again by the views...
Fionn Bheinn:
Looking south to Loch Monar hills:
The Fannichs to the east:
Ben Wyvis:
At last we saw our target hill:
Five more minutes of walking - and we arrived by the Conservation Cairn, marking the highest point of the Mountain Trail. It's a SUPERB viewpoint. WOAAAAAAW!!!! Beinn Eighe looks so close... An unusual angle to admire this mountain:
Me by the cairn:
I couldn't get enough photies of Beinn Eighe ridge...

...and Kevin couldn't resist striking a macho-pose with The Ben in the background :lol: :lol:
The final push to the summit of Meall a' Ghiubhais may look scary but it presents no technical challenge apart from being steep. Steepness is something one has to put up with when climbing in Torridon :lol: :lol: The route up looks something like this:
To start with, we walked a short distance along the Mountain Trail, past the little Lunar Loch. Another weird angle to admire the summits of Beinn Eighe:
Lunar Loch and our target hill:
No time to meow too much...
...though it was hard not to meow, when I looked over my shoulder:
Creag Dhubh, the eastern end of Beinn Eighe ridge:
The second Corbett, Ruadh-stac Beag:
A couple of showers appeared on the horizon - the heaviest of them, a big, dark cloud, passed behind Slioch. We were so lucky, none of these wintry spells reached us!
The summit of Meall a' Ghiubhais:
We visited the lower top first, where we met two other walkers and had a nice chat. It was getting a bit darker and I noticed one more nasty cloud, this time over Beinn Alligin:
The one over Slioch was still there, too:
But between them, Loch Maree looked bright and blue... Strange weather behaviour!
Hello, can you see me? An Teallach peeking out from behind Slioch:
Bad clouds virtually circled our mountain but never passed above us. And with views like that I felt like the happiest Panther in the entire universe. Meowwwwwwwwwwww!
Walking to the main summit cairn was now a formality. We discovered that when sitting inside the shelter, we were completely off the wind. In the shining sun, with a hot cuppa and with Beinn Eighe in the background, I could sit there for ages...
Beinn Dearg and Beinn Alligin - the bad cloud now gone:
Beinn Eighe again. I loved the way its ridge "embraces" Ruadh-stac Beag in the middle:
Another distant shower:
Ruadh-stac Mor, the highest peak of Beinn Eighe:
All right, too much is too much... But I can't resist!!!
Kevin was all jolly-happy too...
Two climbers on the summit of Ruadh-stac Beag (zoomed):
Liathach is almost entirely hidden from view by Beinn Eighe, but one of its summits just about shows up. I zoomed it as much as could - just to notice there were people on this one, too! Can you see them, standing just to the left of the summit cairn?
We spent almost an entire hour on the top of Meall a' Ghiubhais. Weather was improving and I simply enjoyed the moment...
One day I'm going back there... And I'll walk this ridge once again!
The northern Torridon hills, especially Beinn Dearg, are another future target...
One last look at this spectacular landscape... before we leave...

I was tempted by Ruadh-stac Beag, it was still early and we could easily add it to our trip, but Kevin said, let's leave it for another day, we'll have a good excuse to come back to this side of Beinn Eighe :lol: :lol: The second thing, I didn't want to miss Rocket Ronnie's fourth World Cup final, beginning at 2:30 pm. The second Corbett has to wait then. But no worries - I'll drag my husband out there as soon as I have a chance :lol: :lol:
The return route is straightforward. We simply descended from Meall a' Ghiubhais down to the Mountain Trail path and stayed on it all the way back to the car park. The day was still nice, from below we could admire the north face of Meall a' Ghiubhais:
I noticed there was something odd about Slioch, couldn't put my finger on it... Then I realised, all the snow on the mountain was gone!
What a day it was, I must say, one of the best trips so far this year. Maybe not the most difficult and certainly not the longest, but it's so worth scrambling up there!
Torridon is an unbelievable place indeed. No more left to say... Just the traditional meow! :D :D :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Meall a'Ghiubhais - back to Beinn Eighe... well, almost!

Postby dooterbang » Wed May 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Another great outing for the two of yous, fantastic.

Sooper photies :)

Hope i get the weather when visiting this area,,,infact i'll wait for it 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Ranger » Wed May 09, 2012 12:56 pm

Excellent!
Great photos, the conditions have been amazing up in the NW highlands for a month or two now, so crisp and clear, the shower clouds just add to the impressiveness I think :thumbup:
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed May 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Wonderful views. Will definitely do this hill next time I am up that way.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby EwaMH » Wed May 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Unreal!! I'm not sure I could have left with those views!! I'm not even remotely jealous... :?
EwaMH

Munros:207   Corbetts:83
Fionas:34   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:16

Postby Alastair S » Wed May 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Another cracker there BP :thumbup: Some great photos there. A dusting of snow really brings out the dramatic nature of these hills and you have captured them really well.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby kenny3760 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Brilliant pictures, really stunning landscape.

How difficult is the mountain trail, I'm trying to start my wife off hillwalking, is it technically hard or just a steep climb.
kenny3760
Munro compleatist

Munros:106   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu May 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Many thanks for all your comments :D :D I can never get enough of Torridon, especially Beinn Eighe... And with the addition of snow these hills look simply stunning...

kenny3760 wrote:How difficult is the mountain trail, I'm trying to start my wife off hillwalking, is it technically hard or just a steep climb.

It's not a tough scramble, but I needed hands in a few places, just to secure myself. I'm not sure it would be the best "virgin" walk for a beginner. It also depends if your lady has a good head for heights :D
A few captures taken on the Mountain Trail: (from my old camcorder so apologies for bad quality)
torr1.jpg
Looking down from the Trumpet Rock

torr2.jpg
That's the path from above :)

torr3.jpg
The trail continues along (and then up) an impressive wall

torr4.jpg
In places it's like a huge staircase

If I can suggest anything, the walk to Coire Mhic Fhearchair on the other side of Beinn Eighe is a perfect starter, it's on a good path all the way, not too steep and no scrambling. And the corrie is one of the best in Scotland! It was my very first mountain trip on Scottish hills and immediately I fell in love with hillwalking.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby Fcfraser » Thu May 10, 2012 6:45 pm

I attempted that walk a few weeks back, visibility was zilch! I opted to stick to the Mountain Path back down. Mountain Path! Wow! How much did that cost! Cairns saying "steep" .... Really? I ended up losing the path at one point! Despite the "Cairns" it's not the simplest of tourist paths! I will go back and ag that hill! I was amazed at the steps cut out on the rocks......

It was lovely to see your pictures, and see what I missed (mist....lol)! F.
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   Corbetts:5

Postby molemike » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:11 am

Hello from Germany! I'm planning a 10days trip to walk in the highlands - with 8 days of perfect weather :crazy:
Why do you suggest Coire Mhic Fhearchair for beginners? I only found it on Fisherfield 6 on WH , connecting access over Shenavall circuit.
P.S.: Like all your reports, my trip should be much longer
molemike
Mountaineer

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:04 am

I think you are looking at a different coire mhic Fhearchair Molemike. there is indeed one in fisherfield, but BP is talking about the one round the back of Beinn Eighe, which is one of the most gorgeous places in Scotland and a very straightforward walk to reach. Only when I went there I couldn't see anything as it was one of those wet days where you can't get any wetter even if you go swimming!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks 'molemike' for opening this report otherwise I would have missed it, as this report was posted a long time before I had joined WH.
What lovely photographs BP :D , that's a must the next time I'm up at Torridon, what a wonderful place :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby malky_c » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:15 pm

Missed this one at the time - pretty spectacular :D . Certainly better than when me and HighlandSC did it.

Took my wife up the mountain path a few years ago in deep snow - she didn't forgive me for some time :lol: .

molemike wrote:Why do you suggest Coire Mhic Fhearchair for beginners? I only found it on Fisherfield 6 on WH , connecting access over Shenavall circuit.

I think you may be confusing Coire Mhic Fhearchair on Beinn Eighe (spectacular with a good path to it) with the peak of Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair in Fisherfield (one of the remotest hills in the country). Both well worth visiting but the first is much easier!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby molemike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:29 am

Thanks for your help. By now I think I should do the "Triple Buttress of Coire Mhic Fhearchair"- Tour from WH?
molemike
Mountaineer

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:56 am

Thank you for all the comments, guys :D and also for clarifying the Coire Mhic Fhearchair confusion. I haven't done the Fisherfield one yet (sure I will at some point) but the Beinn Eighe one was the first place I visited in Torridon - and I fell in love with the corrie, the mountain, the whole area. Really, if you are nearby, it's a must-do :D

Sorry I'm late answering, but I was out climbing... in Torridon :lol: :lol: A winter visit to Beinn Damph. Superb! Report will follow in the next couple of days, as soon as I find some time to put it together. Cheers!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland