walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Better a bad day on the hills than a good day fitting ovens

Better a bad day on the hills than a good day fitting ovens

Postby kenny3760 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:49 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Breac & A' Chailleach: Western Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Fannichs), Sgùrr Breac

Date walked: 09/05/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15.7 km

Ascent: 1050m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So there I was planning to remove the old oven and install the new one. The weather outside looked not too bad so a quick check of MWIS and it was 20% chance of clear summits rising to 80% later in the day. That’ll do for me, the oven can wait.

So quickly got my gear together, made up a couple of sarnies and into the motor heading for Sgurr Breac and A’Chailleach to complete that wee section of the Fannichs. Got to the carpark just about 10:20 and was on my way for 10:30.
006.JPG

Took a couple of pics just as I was heading off and although it didn’t look too promising the forecast was for things to improve. Headed up Druim Reidh to quickly get some height.
007.JPG

008.JPG

Up over the peat hags and then took the path off to the right that runs above Loch Toll an Lochan.
009.JPG

036.JPG

This brings you out after a bit of scrambling over some rocky and narrow path sections to the bealach between Toman Coinich and A’Chailleach.

Now it’s fair to say that at this stage the forecast had gone a bit wrong, and I took shelter from the horizontal snow and hail behind the largest rock I could find :( . Waited for about 10 minutes then decided to head up A’Chailleach.
012.JPG

Set off up the easy to follow path with little to no views to speak off. The clouds came and went, well more came and hung about, however on the bright side the snow stopped and the wind dropped. :lol:

I soon reached the summit
014.JPG

and it was surprisingly nice for about 5 minutes,
015.JPG

018.JPG

before the clouds came along again.
022.JPG

025.JPG

It wasn’t too bad so grabbed some food and drink then started to head down. The wind picked up, the snow started and to top it all through the gaps in the clouds I was also in sunshine :? .

Back to the bealach then up to Toman Coinich where I met another walker. We lamented about the weather and the chances of seeing anything worthwhile for about 5 minutes then I headed off up to Sgurr Breac. Followed the path up and soon reached the summit.
026.JPG

Hung about for a while hoping to get some views across to Sgurr nan Clach Geala but the clouds just would not shift high enough.
028.JPG

So that was that, back to Toman Coinich and straight down Druim Reidh. Kept stopping and hoping for that 80% chance of clear summits but I must have been stuck in the other 20%.
031.JPG

033.JPG

Got back to the car 6 hours after I had started, a little disappointed, but I’ll tell you one thing: Better a bad day in the hills than a good one fitting ovens.

Now the hard part, explaining why the new one is still sitting in the garage. Wish me luck.
Attachments
021.JPG
kenny3760
Munro compleatist

Munros:106   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Re: Better a bad day on the hills than a good day fitting ov

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 09, 2012 10:39 pm

don't think you should feel disappointed - bit of a mixed bag with the weather but you did get some dramatic looking photos - cheers :D

re the oven, you could always try the age old excuse...."there's a part missing, dear, and I'll have to go to the local DIY store to get a new one" :wink:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby PeteR » Wed May 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Don't tell my Mrs, but I'm with you on the oven front :lol:

If you wait an hour or so I can show you what you missed, as I was up this way a couple of weekends ago and probably got all the vews you missed. Was just about to post my report and pictures :thumbup: Hopefully the pictures will give you the excuse to return and do them again on a good day :D Although as Rockhopper says, you got some good atmospheric pictures there :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby kenny3760 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:19 am

Cheers guys. The pictures are pretty atmospheric come to think of it. I just seem to be having a bit of a run of cloudy days on the tops just now.

Next on my list are Meall Gorm and An Coileachan, from Loch Fannich.
kenny3760
Munro compleatist

Munros:106   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland