walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fionn Bheinn

Fionn Bheinn

Postby Fcfraser » Wed May 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Route description: Fionn Bheinn, Achnasheen

Munros included on this walk: Fionn Bheinn

Date walked: 06/05/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 933m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had an interesting start to this walk, I had chosen it thanks to Black Panthers write up last week! And since it has my name.....almost!

I have never picked up a hitch hiker, but for some reason on Sunday morning, I did'nt hesitate! I picked up a lovely German lady, Dunja, from Bremen! She was a weary traveller, meandering her way back to Germany, having spent the night camped out at Kinlochewe, finding there being no room at the Inn (hostel) the previous night.

Upon checking the train times at Achnasheen, she decided to join me, on what was to be her 93 Munro! Puts me to shame, since I live in this country!

We began climbing, and soon gained height, although there is no official path, there is a well tramped path to follow. The hill itself was fairly non discript, pretty boggy in parts, pole vaulting skills are good to acquire before hand!
P1030611.JPG

The 360o panoramic views are second to none.... "wow" factor 100%
P1030616.JPG
The Mighty Slioch

Dunja was able to name all the hills round about, and most of them she has climbed!
P1030622.JPG

Whilst we had the snowy top to ourselves, we met a few people making their way up.
P1030620.JPG
Me and the very obedient Troika!

P1030618.JPG

P1030617.JPG

As the coffee shop was closed at Achnasheen, we elected it had to be a pint at the Kinlochewe, poured by a lovely Thomas!

I look forward to walking with my lovely new acquaintance again!

I should mention that Troika also accompanied us, he didn't worry any sheep, chase any birds, or ground any hares..... Only cause we didn't see any! :shock: ...... That was tongue in cheek!!!
P1030639.JPG
My Boy ..Downtime at Red Point Beach
s

P1030648.JPG
"Which one we doing next Mum?"
Last edited by Fcfraser on Thu May 10, 2012 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   Corbetts:5

Re: Fionn Bheinn

Postby BlackPanther » Thu May 10, 2012 10:02 am

Hi, I'm glad my story from last week convinced you to visit Fionn Bheinn. :D :D Waiting for photies now!
We drove past Achnasheen on Sunday morning on the way to Torridon and we noticed quite a few walkers tackling the slopes - you must have been one of them :D My husband actually said "I wonder how many of them are climbing this one after reading your TR on Walkhighlands?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:266   Corbetts:179
Fionas:134   
Sub 2000:74   

Postby Fcfraser » Thu May 10, 2012 10:53 am

Happy to follow in your footsteps BP!! What a great recommendation!
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Postby monarchming » Thu May 10, 2012 11:17 am

Well done and great pics! :thumbup:
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby SMRussell » Thu May 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Some lovely snaps! I simply can't wait to visit Torridon!

Also what a charming mutt, haven't seen his portrait in the "Mutts on Munros" hall of fame yet http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17003&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ... I think I love that thread a little too much :shock: :lol:
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Fcfraser » Thu May 10, 2012 6:18 pm

SMRussell ..... I didn't know about Mutts on Munros! OMG I need to get my boy up there! Love it! Especially that muddy pooch! Only a Labrador! Lol!
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Postby Bod » Thu May 10, 2012 10:46 pm

Great report there. Fionn Bheinn gave us a rare wee day too! Lovely views and some threatening thunder just to spice it up a little.....ps. worth checking out the mutts on munros :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Graeme D » Fri May 11, 2012 12:54 pm

Brilliant! I always love seeing reports for this vastly under-rated and mis-represented Munro, although seeing these pictures of yourself and "your boy" make me a wee touch sad that me and "my girl" (my 8 year old choccie lab Lucy) don't get to spend too much time together in the hills as we used to. She can't manage it quite the same these days since she sustained a bad leg injury a couple of years back. :(

Fcfraser wrote:She was a weary traveller, meandering her way back to Germany, having spent the night camped out at Kinlochewe

Long way to go to spend a night camped at Kinlochewe! :lol:

Fcfraser wrote:I should mention that Troika also accompanied us, he didn't worry any sheep, chase any birds, or ground any hares..... Only cause we didn't see any! ...... That was tongue in cheek!!!

Really? :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland