walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A perfect Mayday in Torridon.

A perfect Mayday in Torridon.

Postby bogtrotter » Thu May 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Route description: Baosbheinn, near Gairloch

Corbetts included on this walk: Baosbheinn, Beinn an Eoin

Date walked: 01/05/2012

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1300m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have long wanted to traverse Baosbheinn and Beinn an Eoin in the Flowerdale Forest, seen from Beinn Eighe years ago they looked tempting. A good weather forecast for Wester Ross promised an opportunity om 1st May.
With my present pace I knew it might be a long day so by 8:30 I was parking at what my old SMC guide calls the “blue barn” on the A832 near Gairloch. Today it is undoubtably a green shed.
A jeep track runs 6 km SE from there towards Beinn an Eoin. A notice at the start of the track warned that the footbridge near Loch Bad an Scalaig no longer existed. My plan was modified to traverse Beinn an Eoin first, in a N to S direction, returning over Baosbheinn choosing the easiest way down from there to the track.
DSC02476.JPG
Track to Lochan na h-Oidhche

In less than 2 hours I was at the “Stepping stones” over the Garbh Choire river. After several dry days they presented no problem today. A little further on I left the track at a small cairn and traversed SE looking for the easiest way onto the ridge of Beinn an Eoin.
All day I saw very little sign of man-made paths and it was the same here, but I found a way round to the left that involved very little scrambling. By 11:30 I was on the northern end of the broad ridge which gave plenty of photo opportunities including a snow capped An Teallach in the distance,
DSC02478.JPG
A distant view of An Teallach
Slioch closer
DSC02479.JPG
Slioch
and my second objective Baosbheinn across Loch na h-Oidhche.
DSC02477.JPG
Baosbheinn
The undulating broad ridge runs south for over 2 km
DSC02484.JPG
View back down the ridge
before rising steeply to the 855m summit of Beinn an Eoin whch I reached at 12:30.
DSC02481.JPG
Up to Beinn an Eoin summit
. The weather was cloudless sunshine with good visiblity and a slight breeze keeping the temperature down. I now had a perfect view of most of the Torridon Hills, from Beinn a'Chearcaill, Beinn Eighe, Beinn Dearg, Beinn Alligin. Only Liathach was partly obscured.
DSC02486.JPG
Beinn Alligin
DSC02488.JPG
Torridon hills from Beinn an Eoin
DSC02487.JPG
Beinn Eighe

I had hoped to shorten the distances by descending somewhat south westerly towards the Poca Buidhe bothy. However this proved tricky involving zigzagging back and forth looking for a route through the rock buttresses. Being on my own with no one else on the hill I didn't want get into any difficulty. Eventually I traversed round to the true line of the south ridge and found that more amenable. This all took time and it was nearly 3pm before I reached the head of the loch.
DSC02489.JPG
Descent from Beinn an Eoin

I was now in the secluded basin in the heart of the Torridon hills.
DSC02490.JPG
Beinn Dearg
I had originally thought to camp/bivouac here overnight but the forecast suggested overnight lows of -5deg. and my light summer sleeping bag would be in-adequate. However having arrived at this place I regretted my change of plan.
DSC02491.JPG
up to Baosbheinn

I now had to return over Baosbheinn so made a rather tired ascent over Ceann Beag took me eventually to the Sgorr Dubh top of Baosbheinn at 6pm.
DSC02493.JPG
from Baosbheinn summit
A final round of panoramic photos were needed before I looked for a way off. A short descent to the N gave access to a NE ridge which initially descended at an easy angle with signs of a path. Lower down the ridge steepened and I had to move left to easier ground which brought me to the floor of the corrie. I had not been looking forward to this flat ground, expecting peat hags and deep heather. Instead there was short dry grass and small stones which allowed rapid progress to rejoin the track at the stepping stones by 7pm.
This left only the long walk on the track back to the car as shadows lengthened.
A perfect day - total sunshine, no midges and the hills to myself - but I was TIRED next day.
bogtrotter

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:4   Donalds:7

Re: A perfect Mayday in Torridon.

Postby jonny616 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:06 pm

Superb 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: A perfect Mayday in Torridon.

Postby kev_russ » Fri May 11, 2012 12:24 am

Lovely jubbly :thumbup: Last time i was in Torridon it battered doon and I couldnae see zilch!
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland