walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunday Morning on the Aonach Eagach

Sunday Morning on the Aonach Eagach

Postby RussellR » Fri May 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Date walked: 11/05/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having thought about it for years but doing nothing about it, the time had come for me to face the Aonach Eagach!
A combination of excitement and nerves had me up and in the car by 6am, ensuring I would be well ahead of the majority of fellow scramblers if I took cold feet. MWIS had predicted 70% chance of clear tops with the occasional snow showers, however I drove through a blizzard just after Callander and by the time I came over the top of Glen Ogle, the Lawers Hills were cloaked in a blanket of white well down to half their height. At that stage I thought that I might have to change plans as I was not looking forward to a scramble on snow and ice.
However me fears were short lived as I approached Rannoch Moor the sun was splitting the sky and the Glencoe tops came into view looking great with very little snow cover.
I was out the car and on my way just after 8 and the ascent to Am Bodach was steep and unforgiving, the well defined path meant that I was standing on it's top admiring the views in a little over one hour. From there the challenge really began, I think the pictures say it all!
IMG_1151.JPG
The sisters in the morning sun
IMG_1166.JPG
First view of the ridge
IMG_1170.jpg
The Chancellor
IMG_1184.JPG
It only got better!
IMG_1208.JPG
Stob Ban and The Ben
IMG_1214.JPG
Stunning!

On my scramble along the top, I was making good progress and the fear gradually eased, I even thought about coming back the opposite way once I reached the end. How foolish, by the time I reached Sgorr nam Fiannaidh I was nackered from the constant up and down scramble, so after a good half hour taking in the views from Bidean down Loch Leven and to the Ben and beyond I opted for the direct descent straight down to Loch Achtriochtan.
Well, whilst this was quick it was as hard as any of the ridge and I needed breather before the final half hour walk back to the car.
Thoroughly satisfied and pleased that I had conquered this demon, I headed home thinking how I could now convince my good lady to join me on my next attempt.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

RussellR
Hill Bagger

Munros:270   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:28   

Re: Sunday Morning on the Aonach Eagach

Postby L-Hiking » Sat May 12, 2012 10:47 am

Nice report and pics....think it maybe to much for me! Never mind the Mrs!!

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Sunday Morning on the Aonach Eagach

Postby Bod » Sat May 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Lovely, well done! It's just a matter of time until I revisit this too, what a great day you chose :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland