walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another three Wainwrights and snow!

Another three Wainwrights and snow!

Postby DaveB1 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: High Rigg, Latrigg, Lonscale Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Lonscale Fell

Date walked: 06/05/2012

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 11.69 km

Ascent: 902m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another small excursion to the Lakes to collect odds and ends of Wainwrights, the plan was to do Raven Crag followed by High Rigg then onto Latrigg and Lonscale Fell. I only realised High Rigg was a Wainwright when looking at my Harvey’s map of the Lakes which kindly identifies them by using a colour to distinguish them. I must have driven past it more times than I care to remember, but more of High Rigg later.
No Mick (working) or Jerry (family time) so was rather surprised when Jim asked if Mrs Jim (Cindy) could come as well as the faithful hound Lassie. ‘No problem’ said I ‘see you about 0730’. I was late, well you know how it is, got up in plenty of time then 'dawdle mode' hits and suddenly you’re rushing. I phoned Jim and told him I’d be late, eventually arriving in Blackburn at 0750. The drive up to Raven Crag was good and I was on my best behaviour (no speeding!). We arrived at the Car park duly paid (it always rankles) £2.50, kitted up, went to the start of the path and discovered the path was closed as they still haven’t cleared the trees away!! B****r! we said amongst other epithets and decided not to risk it, so it was back to the car and on down the road to High Rigg. Jim was really miffed as he'd paid the car parking fee! £2.50 for five minutes, worse than Central Manchester.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked at the dual carriageway, crossed over the road and arrived at the gate to a well marked track.
Keswick - May 2012 006.jpg
A watery start

Not the easiest manoeuvre to avoid wet feet, but we all managed except Lassie, who is of course waterproof!
Cindy then realised she had lost her hat, so Jim returned to the car but to no avail. We said we’d go back to Raven Crag to look for it once we’d done High Rigg. Halfway up the track Cindy also realised she’d lost the sucky squashy end of her water bladder tube so things weren’t going too well. Nevertheless we followed the track assiduously and eventually the summit came into sight without too much puffing and panting.
Keswick - May 2012 007.jpg
Towards Thirlmere and Helvellyn

Keswick - May 2012 009.jpg
High Rigg

The summit gave nice views back toward Helvellyn range and over towards both Skiddaw and Blencathra and we were admiring same when we noticed the weather closing in and duly took a couple of photos.
Keswick - May 2012 012.jpg
Snow in the distance

Keswick - May 2012 013.jpg
Snow here!

Yes, it was May in England and it was snowing, cold too! We turned around and followed roughly the same way back to the car. Jim and I diligently searched the track for the squashy end of Cindy’s water bladder and found it in that big puddle near the gate, I suspect it will never be used again as the puddle was less than fragrant!
Arriving back at the car, Jim said ‘don’t bother with Raven Crag, Cindy’s found her hat’. It was in the hood of her jacket! This was a large sheepskin hat with flaps for the ears and two big attractive bobbles on the drawstrings! Don’t ask I was baffled too!
Onward then to part 2 of the trip.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We arrived some twenty minutes later at the car park at the bottom of the main Skiddaw path. The path to Latrigg, ‘miles of no stiles’ it said on the sign proved to be the easiest Wainwright I had climbed, sorry, strolled and on reaching the summit stopped for lunch. A fine viewpoint and just in case you were sceptical of the snow in May here it is.
Keswick - May 2012 015.jpg
Snow from Latrigg and the path to summit of Latrigg

Lunch was leisurely and the viewpoint excellent, climbing these smaller hills has been a revelation in providing alternative perspectives of the Big Un’s and I would recommend it to anyone and often do!
Our final objective was Lonscale Fell an outlier of the Skiddaw range, it’s the round hump on the right.
Keswick - May 2012 017.jpg
Lonscale fell and the way up

Keswick - May 2012 018.jpg
Latrigg and The Big Un's

Keswick - May 2012 021.jpg
Skiddaw and the path up

A very good path leads from the opposite side of the car park to the Latrigg path, you can’t miss it its got big signposts, and makes its way uphill towards the col between Lonscale and Skiddaw Little Man. The path is very well made and has clearly prevented much erosion of the original way up. Lassie was in ‘fetch the stone mood’ and was happy pestering any stray dog lover to throw her stone, which meant we had quite a few stops for a chat on the way up and were regaled with tales of blizzards and other wintry hardships. The sight of a lady with two dogs wearing one of the dog’s coats as a neck warmer, her male partner saying ‘the cold had got to her’ made us think we’d been lucky with the weather :lol: .
We finally reached the col and turned right for Lonscale Fell here’s the pic.
Keswick - May 2012 022.jpg
Blencathra and Lonscale Fell Summit

The summit is as it seems, flat, but the views were nice, we tarried for a brew and then returned to the car via the main path.
Keswick - May 2012 024.jpg
Jim and Cindy on the way down,note the hat!

The Farmers Arms on the way to Portinscale (nice place, likes dogs, been three times this year!) was our stop for beer, then off down the M6 to home. Jim texted later saying Cindy thoroughly enjoyed herself, so we may be seeing her again. More little hills soon! :D
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Another three Wainwrights and snow!

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon May 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Enjoyed your report and photos :D

Glad to see you've ticked those three off!!
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 14, 2012 5:57 pm

Great stuff Dave, lovely tale of the lost hat though that must have been some hood it was hiding in :lol: part two seems to be a list of all weathers available :shock: and the lady with a dog coat for a neck tie :shock: I'll say no more. Great entertaining read, cheers :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby DaveB1 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:25 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Enjoyed your report and photos :D

Glad to see you've ticked those three off!!

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff Dave, lovely tale of the lost hat though that must have been some hood it was hiding in :lol: part two seems to be a list of all weathers available :shock: and the lady with a dog coat for a neck tie :shock: I'll say no more. Great entertaining read, cheers :D

Thanks Susie and Chris for your replies I always feel that these little hills are often forgotten but some are well worth a visit. The hat episode was bizarre and the look on Jim's face and his tone of voice when he told me will be the subject of many a joke when its just the 'boys' walking. :lol:
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jim walton » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:59 am

A great day out and an accomplished report.....Looking forward to our next adventure.................jim
jim walton
Bird-watcher

Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:204   

Postby Jezzer_60 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Excellent photos. Never a dull moment!
Jezzer_60
Munro compleatist

Munros:25   Corbetts:7
Donalds:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland