walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob a'Choire Odhair & Stob Ghabhar

Stob a'Choire Odhair & Stob Ghabhar

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:14 am

Route description: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 12/10/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did this walk yesterday (12th October) in much better weather. Much better views (see attached pics) and no midges. The rutting season was in full swing as well. I varied the route a bit by descending via the west ridge of Stob Ghabhar to Sron a'Ghearrain and then going south following the fence line. You can pick up a path which runs beside the Allt Ghabhar down to Clashgour. I was surprised to see a peacock strutting about there. Took me about six and a half hours.
ben cruachan.jpg
looking south.jpg
stob ghabharfrom clashgour.jpg
stob ghabhar.jpg
stob ghabharfrom clashgour.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
stob a choire odhair.jpg
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:7

Re: Stob a'Choire Odhair & Stob Ghabhar

Postby monty » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi Boots....,
Pauls route says

Serious mountain walk including an extremely steep ascent over loose rocks and scree, and a narrow, exposed section of ridge.

How did you find it?
monty

Re: Stob a'Choire Odhair & Stob Ghabhar

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:54 am

It was very steep but I didn't find it too bad if I kept off the scree as much as possible (I hate scree!!) and scrambled up the rocks and boulders. The ridge was narrow in places and wouldn't be much fun in a strong wind but it wasn't difficult. I think some of the books exaggerate the difficulty of some routes in the hills which is a shame because it can put people off doing them. The Devil's Ridge in the Mamores is another example. All in all I think Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair make a great day out: varied terrain, brilliant views (given good weather!), pleasant walk in and out - what more can you ask?
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland