walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BEN LOMOND

BEN LOMOND

Postby Jockstar » Mon May 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 12/05/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After our walk last weekend I thought that a nice easy walk up Ben Lomond would make a pleasant change to the more rigourous walks that we had done over the last month. So with Ruby looking to get her 6th Munro we set off from the car park at Rowardennan on the east side of Loch Lomond. It seemed very busy and I assumed that it was the good weather that was forecast for the day had brought the crowds out, just as people had warned me as this was a very popular walk at any time of the year. :D

P1020032.JPG
Tourist Information at Rowardennan

P1020033.JPG
Ben Nevis in the distance with her snow hat on

DSCF3339.JPG
Tarbet Ferry Dock

. It was then that we noticed an lot of spectators as well as walkers who turned out to be doing the Annual Ben Lomond race to the top and back. :shock:

DSCF3351.JPG
Race in Progress !!

So what followed was Su, myself and Ruby setting off along the path at the back of the Tourist information building and following the path straight up the hill, where we found marshals and spectators lining the path. There was more spectators here than shoppers in Sauchiehall street!! Anyway it was a fine day and we pushed on coming out into the desolate wasteland that used to be a silver birch forest and it made a terrible sight that scarred the hill. There is work afoot to try and sort out an ecological remedy which would be great for the future. :D

P1020034.JPG
Su getting on her way up the hill

It was just passed this point that we met our first runner coming back down and we sidestepped to let him by. Before long there was a steady stream of runners, both male and female racing down the hill some with nasty cuts and bloody noses such was the competitive nature of the run, some of them obviously fallen over. :shock:

DSCF3370.JPG
Runner with Buckfast for Speed !!!

DSCF3376.JPG
Race runners on the way down

There was a good number of spectators urging the runners on and we didn’t mind taking our time to get further up the hill, especially as Ruby wasn’t stressed by all the activity.

DSCF3377.JPG
More runners speeding down the hill !

Before long we had started to walk up onto the shoulder called Sron Aonaich and steadily made our way up the well-worn path. We stopped for something to eat for ourselves and Ruby before continuing up the path. You could then see the views open up and Loch Lomond looked beautiful. :D

P1020043.JPG
Loch Lomond looking south

DSCF3391.JPG
Panoramic Loch Lomond

The path then zig zagged up the hill and eventually we made up the ground to reach a smaller wee climb taking us to the level path which had a bit of snow on and which would eventually lead us to the trig point.

DSCF3397.JPG
Su & Ruby

The weather was good at this point and as we got higher the views behind of Loch Lomond were great and also across to Arrochar with the Cobbler clearly visible along with Ben Vorlich and Ben Imie.

P1020050.JPG
Towards Arrochar and the Cobbler and Ben Imie

To the south we could see Loch Katrine and the trossachs, which made our day. There was a splendid wall of stone which is the eastern Corrie just before the summit and that looked good with bits of gorse with their yellow flowers making a wee covering of the rock. :D

P1020051.JPG
Impressive Eastern Corrie

P1020048.JPG
Su nearing the top

It was very cold however as the wind had picked up. I guessed this was the start of the bad weather that was forecast for Sunday and so we headed back down the way we came. There was an alternative route that had the weather been better we might have taken. :(

P1020049.JPG
Su at the Trig Point

DSCF3432.JPG
Bri and Ruby near the top

DSCF3458.JPG
Su at the trig point

P1020054.JPG
Jockstar at the top of Ben Lomond

We were pleased to get back down and get out of the cold wind and as soon as we got back to the car it was change and head for something to eat at The Oak Tree in Balmaha. All in all a good days walk which lifted our spirits after last week’s walk. No walk for us this next week as we are off to the ‘flat’ south for a long weekend with family to catch up with and the highest we might get is the London Eye. We might see Scotland from there!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: BEN LOMOND

Postby Bod » Mon May 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Nice one Jockstar, that Buckfast sure does seem to work a trick in the mountains .... we'll see you in the hills again soon. Enjoy the trip doon sooth :D :D :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby StephenT » Wed May 16, 2012 10:20 pm

Cant believe the difference 24hrs make - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21202 knee deep snow in places to none!

The race explains the red/white hazard tape I saw the day before, i wondered what it was for!
StephenT
Mountaineer

Munros:70   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:37   Islands:14

Postby jonny616 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:27 pm

'runner with buckfast'! I though Stretch was in the US :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it is him he is not aging well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Stretch » Wed May 16, 2012 10:47 pm

jonny616 wrote:'runner with buckfast'! I though Stretch was in the US :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it is him he is not aging well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It would have been me, had he been drinking Buckie out of a plastic cup! :lol: :lol:

Nice one Brian and Su, glad to see you two are able to get out on the hills more lately.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby old danensian » Thu May 17, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi Brian

Enjoyed the report and photos - it's the first I've read since finally crossing the border at the end of last week and makes me more determined to get out and about from our new base in Ayrshire - once I've unpacked a few more boxes!

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby 2dalmatians » Fri May 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Nice report Jockstar. I am heading up Ben lomond on Sunday with my daughter and some friends. It was my first Munro a few years ago and I always manage to get back up at least once a year. It's a great hill. :D
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby monty » Sat May 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Nice one jockstar. Din't you fancy joining in the race :shock: :lol:
monty

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland