walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenfinnan to Inverie - the 2 Koreans and their naked buddy

Glenfinnan to Inverie - the 2 Koreans and their naked buddy

by Mancunian » Tue May 15, 2012 11:52 am

Route description: Sgùrr na Cìche: 3 Munros from Loch Arkaig

Munros included on this walk: Garbh Chioch Mhòr, Meall Buidhe (Knoydart), Sgùrr na Cìche, Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glen Dessary), Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgùrr Thuilm

Date walked: 03/05/2012

Time taken: 80 hours

Distance: 67 km

Ascent: 3900m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Glenfinnan to Inverie - the 2 naked Koreans and their Bu

Postby Mancunian » Wed May 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi everyone,

many thanks for all your comments. It's been indeed a great time that we had on our trip.

RicKamila wrote:Great report and great pics. The F15 you saw must have been the same we saw that day near Braemar.

I am still wondering to which Air Force that jet might belong. As far as I know the RAF has no F15 jets? Or am I mistaken? Anyway I had mixed feeling when I was surprised by that plane. The boy in me thought: "wow, cool!". The father thought: "Mhh, you shouldnt be here and why are you flying so low!"

rockhopper wrote:A very enjoyable read and what a cracking route ! Would like to try something like this rather than the usual round trips - cheers :D

Well, doing multiple day trips is the only option we have when coming over from Germany. Therefore we book the flights 2 months in advance and pray for decent weather. This year it worked, last year the weather was pretty bad. All in all we have around 6 days off work of which we can walk around 3-4 days. One day is reserved for travelling to Scotland, and 2 are reserved for travelling back. This year we've been on Monday at eleven in the morning at the ferry in Inverie and arrived back home at the doorstep the next day at half past six in the evening. So its always a long trip which can be only done once a year.
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Glenfinnan to Inverie - the 2 naked Koreans and their Bu

Postby Mancunian » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:04 pm

rockhopper wrote:A very enjoyable read and what a cracking route ! Would like to try something like this rather than the usual round trips - cheers :D

Thanks rockhopper. Its a big difference between a one day round trip and a multi-day walk like this. The whole experience is more intense when you're out there during the night watching the sun go down, bathing the mountain tops in golden light. I always enjoy this, although one of our mates snores so loud that anyone passing by in the dark would expect a sawmill round the corner ;-)

Here is another panorama shot from Sgur nan Coireachan.
DSC05098s.jpg
view from Sgurr nan Coireachan
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Re: Glenfinnan to Inverie - the 2 Koreans and their naked bu

Postby Kblack23 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:01 am

This looks great - well done on a cracking route! :clap:

I am planning the walk from Glenfinnan to Inverie in a couple of weeks and going up Meall Bhuide in a similar way to you guys (looking at your map), I won't be descending and instead heading round to take in Luinne Bheinn and then following the WH route down to Inverie and completing my journey there.

Do you have any great tips for the ascent up Meall Bhuide? I have seen no reports of folks going up from the path just beyond Souriles.

Thanks
Katie.
Kblack23

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Mancunian » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:26 pm

Kblack23 wrote:This looks great - well done on a cracking route! :clap:

Do you have any great tips for the ascent up Meall Bhuide? I have seen no reports of folks going up from the path just beyond Souriles.

Thanks
Katie.

Cheers Katie.
Tips for the ascent beyond Sourlies? Well. Its been a while since I've been there. I remember the ascent to Meall Bhuide from the path as being very steep, grassy and in places wet. I'd say it's manageable but it's not fun. If you come from Sourlies I'd recommend you follow the River Carnach and then turn left where the Allt na Sealga joins the river. Then you follow the burn all the way up the corrie and the to the saddle between Sgurr Sgeithe and Meall Buidhe. This way looks less steep and therefore easier. But that is just what I see from the map and I havent been up this route yet.
Have fun on your trip...
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Postby Kblack23 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi again Mancunian!

Thanks very much for reply...I realise this was a while ago! :D

I was looking at that and then joining from the bealach between Sgurr Sgeithe and Meall Bhuide, as you've described!

Aww, I just have my fingers crossed for the weather as this trip has been booked for a while!

Thanks again

Katie
Kblack23

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland