walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Culra Bothy & Aonach Beag, Carn Dearg, Geal Charn,

Culra Bothy & Aonach Beag, Carn Dearg, Geal Charn,

Postby Fcfraser » Mon May 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Date walked: 21/05/2012

Distance: 32 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

P1030684.JPG
Beinn Bheoil
Well! my first ever Bothy Experience! wow! Why have I missed out on this all these years?

Not easy packing to cycle in, kitchen sink sadly had to stay behind (managed a sneaky mascara and lipstick though!)(honest!)

Parked up at Dalwhinnie around 5.30pm, to find quite a few cars already there, not to mention a couple of guys waiting for their friends, drinking their bottle of wine before they strarted their cycle in.. wise or not? saved them having to carry it! and they did offer to share!!

Cycle in was hard, not so much because of the conditions but because my bike is a hybrid with semi slick tyres, (the wine may have improved my bad humour!) Arrived at the Bothy around 1.5hrs later, bit hot and bothered, already dreading the return cycle on Sunday.
P1030652.JPG
Culra Bothy

At the Bothy, we met a lovely girl, Adele, from Glasgow, who had the fire on, she brouht a child trailer for her bike and gathered wood long the way....what a girl!! she even had candles lit, so it was a lovey cosy atmosphee for us to settle in to. The rest of our party arrived soon after, and we chatted and had a glass or two of red wine from the litre carton I took along.
P1030677.JPG

It was early bed for an early start, Ready for the hill before 8am, set off to a dull but dry day. Our first climb to Carn Dearg was prbably the toughest of the day, but worth the climb, the views were stunning. I am still amazed at how much snow is up there! firm to walk in though, none of the "thigh high" stuff we plundered through the other week on Tolmount.
P1030659.JPG

Next hill, Geal Charn, was a relatively easy traverse, views beautiful!

Onwards, and upwards.....
P1030660.JPG

P1030666.JPG

Aonch Beag, a little tricky, we had to kick steps into the snow, slow and easy! but seemed an effortless climb. Then down and up to Beinn Eibhinn. Views again spectacular! We even had a little snow flurry!
P1030672.JPG

The walk down was easy, picking our way down the heathery/grassy slope to the path and back to the Bothy.
P1030678.JPG

Sadly, no Adele to light the fire for us this time! But Tansy had brought a fire log with her and got fire starte, whilst the others set off to look for some wood to keep has going!.

Early to bed as we planned an early start to do Beinn Bheoil before the dreaded cycle home!

Beinn Bheoil was an easy climb up the grassy slope, probably easier going up than down! A bit of a scrambly bit at the very top but nothing really. Beautiful day, stunning views, and was sorry that I hadnt committed to to Ben Alder as well..... but it will keep till next time!
P1030684.JPG
Beinn Bheoil

....Next time I may just be relaxed enough to take the spade for a walk up the back of the Bothy too!! :lol:

The cycle back was actually an awful lot easier than I had been anticipating, we took the other route, and apart from negotiating the bikes over the wobbly bridge, we were back in no time! The awaitng car was a very welcome sight I have to say!
P1030696.JPG

Next time I "Bothy" I will defineately bring soft shoes to change into!
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   Corbetts:5

Re: Culra Bothy & Aonach Beag, Carn Dearg, Geal Charn,

Postby monarchming » Mon May 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Well done FC! Good report and pics!
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby Bod » Mon May 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Great trip, still to get here myself. Cheers for posting :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby skuk007 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Good report FC, haven't done the "bothy" thing either but must try it at least once. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby dooterbang » Wed May 23, 2012 9:59 pm

I was up the week before you and was surprised at how much snow was lying around...it didnt help that i wore trail runners.

We only had a brief glimpse inside the bothy but it looked cosy.

The cycle in is fab.

Well done.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland