walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Full Monty...

The Full Monty...

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon May 21, 2012 11:39 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Chralaig, Blà Bheinn, Gleouraich, Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh, Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Dubh Mòr, Sgùrr na Banachdich, Sgùrr nan Eag, Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 21/05/2012

Time taken: 44.5 hours

Distance: 84.05 km

Ascent: 8566m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Not what you're thinking from the title I'm sorry to say; no shots in the buff... But rather an account to fill in the gaps of the Epic Isle of Skye Adventure from Monty's wee Character Building Tale... For the great man had several rest days and missed a total of four munros to rest his weary legs... Poor auld man... :lol:

This won't be a long account and I'll focus on the bits Monty missed; needless to say we'd all been looking forward to this trip for some time; at least I had; and I was fairly itching to get into the hills after a few weeks break... So Friday came which meant a wee jaunt up Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach en route to the Cluanie Inn in Kintail. The stalkers path up Gleouraich really is quite something, zigzapping it's way up the hillside and taking all of the steepness out of the ascent. A mixed bag of changeable weather with some snow on top but on the whole the first 2/3 of this walk is spectactular with great views, and only marginally spoilt by the walk out from Spidean Mialach which is a bit dull by the standards the rest of the walk sets...

A fair few beers in the Cluanie, and Day 2 of this walk fest saw the ascent of A'Chralaig in almost knee deep snow at the top... We bid a retrat from Mullach Fraoch-Choire about 300 metres from the summit; the snow was deep; conditions slippery; the ridge very narrow; and any fall would have been game over; so decision made. Mountain will be there another day...

From there it was over to Skye and The Skye Boat Lodge (www.skyeboatlodge.co.uk). And what a place it is, set on the shores of Loch Harport in Carbost - a place where nothing seems important and daily life is exchanged for an experience far more pleasurable... Along with 66 bottles of wine; and various other poisons!!

Strong winds and rain welcomed Sunday and the remainder of the troops arrival at the Lodge but a couple of the gang wanted to go out, so Scraggles and I took them up to the Table in the Quiraing for a wee taster of what was to come...

Monty finally arrived three Munros late, to find a errrm few drunken folk clapping him into the Loch!

And then Monday morning came, we'd been summonsed by Graham and Annie (www.skyehi.co.uk) as the weather had improved, so there was me waking everyone after but a few hours sleep... And off to the Cuillin we went... Refer Monty's report...

Three days in the Cuillin and Monty was shot; too tired to join us on the piddly little ascent of Blabheinn; he came up with a number of excuses... None any good.

And then came the final day on Sgurr nan Gillean where we also bid a retreat near the summit due to ice and lack of approrpiate safety kit to continue... Monty refused to carry the rope (again) because he was still too tired, but we were used to that by now...

And that's about it; save for one heck of a party on the last night at the Lodge where Graham and Annie joined us for Venison Wellington. They really are a fabulous couple; fantastic guides, and I think we spent most of the week laughing; telling crap jokes, with the odd belter...

And all too soon it was time to leave; but not to worry - the lodge is now booked again for later in the year; and we'll look forward to catching up with Graham and Annie; and who knows perhaps I'll finish these Munro things on Sgurr nan Gillean...

A spectactular week with superb people... Fun; laughter; and the best hills; what life is all about... Thanks to an awesome group of people for one of the best weeks of my life - it really had it all... :D

Monty's a Munro Bagger... Check out the final words of this song :lol:

Skye 009 - A'Chralaig.jpg
Before Skye - View from the summit of A'Chralaig

Skye 000 - The Skye Boat Lodge.jpg
The Skye Boat Lodge - looking toward the Cuillin

Skye 007 - Cutting some shapes in the Cuillin.jpg
Cutting some shapes in the Cuillin

Skye 008 - In the Cuillin.jpg
Two Dogs (I mean One Dog) found in the Cuillin... ;)

Skye 010 - After Sgurr Alasdair.jpg
Loving it after Sgurr Alasdair looking toward the In Pinn

Skye 001 - Monty and Dora on the In-Pinn.jpg
Monty and Dora celbrate the halfway point on the In-Pinn

Skye 002 - Suzie and Myself on the In-Pinn.jpg
Suzie and Myself halfway up the In-Pinn

Skye 003 - YMCA on Blabheinn.jpg
YMCA on Blabheinn...

Skye 004 - Turning Back on Sgurr nan Gillean.jpg
Turning back on Sgurr nan Gillean

Skye 011 - A Double Hundred.jpg
A Double Hundred thrown in for good measure...

Skye 006 - A present from Scraggles for my Double Hundred.jpg
A present from Scraggles for my Double Hundred - Gevrey Chambertin - Lovely :)

Skye 005 - The Crew & Graham & Annie.jpg
The Crew + Graham & Annie from Skye Hi! Fab Folk...

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: The Full Monty...

Postby monty » Tue May 22, 2012 7:13 am

Nice report Andrew. Nice photos too. :D

I am a little dissapointed to say the least. You never mentioned the 3km race down the hillside and along the road after walking for 7 hours ??? Oh yes thats right, you had to stop at the roadside cause you were tired :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great week with great company. Thanks again. :D :D :D :D :D
monty

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue May 22, 2012 9:43 am

Having read Monty's "Character Building" report it was interesting to have the missing bits :lol:

Enjoyed reading it and some great photos :thumbup: Well done on 200 :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby jonny616 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:51 am

Great photos. you guys sure had a great trip even with the bonkers weather. i like a drop or two of Gevray :lol: myself
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby skuk007 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:08 pm

:clap: on passing the 200 mark Andrew, nice place to grab that landmark. :)

P.S. admit it "Monty's Got Talent" :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby dooterbang » Wed May 23, 2012 9:45 pm

i thought monty never pulled out :lol:

Good luck with the M12.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland