walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pen y Fan horseshoe

Pen y Fan horseshoe

Postby willywalker247 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cribyn, Pen y Fan

Date walked: 22/05/2012

Time taken: 5.45

Distance: 14.8 km

Ascent: 742m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This will be my last report on Pen y Fan for a while as its pretty much covered, but there is still one route that has not been covered which i will do in a couple of months. Back to the walk. I parked the car in the carpark just below the Lower Neuadd Reservoir grid ref SO03817.
Pen Y Fan Horseshoe 002.JPG
On leaving the carpark we followed the road up to the dam and walked across the dam. On reaching the gate we had a choice to make, having done this walk a couple of times before, i decided to take the path on the left. This was a mistake on this particular day as the path was wet and slippery as i found to my cost "butt covered in mud after slipping" the path on the right leading up to the ridge is better all be it steeper. So the choice is yours.
Pen Y Fan Horseshoe 005.JPG
Once you reach the ridge you will see the trig point of Twyn Mwyalchod on your left.
Pen Y Fan Horseshoe 006.JPG
After leaving the trig point we turned north along the ridge of Graig fan Ddu.
Pen Y Fan Horseshoe 010.JPG
We continued along the ridge to Rhiw yr Ysgyfarnog, at this point you have a view across to Graig y Byllfa.
Pen Y Fan Horseshoe 011.JPG
As you look down the valley of Cwm Crew you can see Cantref reservoir in the haze. For some reason the ridge has a change of name here to Craig Gwaun Taf.
Pen Y Fan Horseshoe 007.JPG
You now have great views of Corn Du,Pen y Fan and
Pen Y Fan Horseshoe 008.JPG
Cribyn.
Pen Y Fan Horseshoe 015.JPG
On reaching the summit of Pen y fan it was time for lunch. As we ate our lunch we enjoyed the views through the haze, looking across to Cribyn and Fan Y big.
089.JPG
Linsay on Pen y Fan trying not to look too hot and bothered.
094.JPG
As i stood taking a photo of Cribyn Linsay took a photo of me taking the photo.
Pen Y Fan Horseshoe 018.JPG
As we decended the path from Pen y Fan we took time to look back up towards the summit as this was the first time Linsay had done this walk and I wanted Linsay to see Pen y Fan in all her glory! "She looked fantastic" Carrying on down from Pen y Fan i noticed there had been a lot of work done to the path making the decent a lot easier.
Pen Y Fan Horseshoe 020.JPG
As we reached the valley floor we took a short break before climbing up Cribyn. It`s now a short steep climb up Cribyn " it`s a killer on a hot day" Linsay is loving the views from the summit dispite finding the climb hard.
Pen Y Fan Horseshoe 021.JPG
As we continued along the path i was thinking about Fan y Big, could Linsay do it, this was her toughest walk so far. The last part of the decent from Cribyn is a bit steep checking to see if Linsay was ok i could see she was looking tired and we still had a way to go.
Pen Y Fan Horseshoe 023.JPG
Looking up Fan y Big
I decided to give Fan y Big a miss and follow the track down towards the reservoir and the carpark. This walk took a lot longer than expected, but that was due to it being so hot, hats off to Linsay she did well. :clap:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by willywalker247 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Pen y Fan horseshoe

Postby garyhortop » Mon May 28, 2012 8:10 pm

Nice report Chris and what a day!! This is my favourite route up PYF mainly because you can make the route as long as you like (dpendent on conditions) and still get back to the car park and pint a bit further down the road! Hope Lynsay has recovered!! See you soon! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

As entertaining as always Chris, I tried not to laugh at the muddy butt early on but these things are always funny when they happen to someone else :lol: Great route on a fantastic day if a little hot, I take it from all that haze that there was no breeze to cool you as you went, other than that it looks just perfect :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby willywalker247 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:30 pm

garyhortop wrote:Nice report Chris and what a day!! This is my favourite route up PYF mainly because you can make the route as long as you like (dpendent on conditions) and still get back to the car park and pint a bit further down the road! Hope Lynsay has recovered!! See you soon! :D

Hi Gary. Very hot day, Magners went down a treat in the Red cow in Pontsticill afterwards. Lindsay was ok we were back up Pyf two days later.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Postby willywalker247 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:40 am

ChrisW wrote:As entertaining as always Chris, I tried not to laugh at the muddy butt early on but these things are always funny when they happen to someone else :lol: Great route on a fantastic day if a little hot, I take it from all that haze that there was no breeze to cool you as you went, other than that it looks just perfect :D

Hi CW When i got up after my slip it felt as if i s**t myself with all the mud on my butt. Linsay burst out laughing so did i. :lol: Hope you chest is better.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland