walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fisherfield 6 - Dooterbang 200...and one!!

Fisherfield 6 - Dooterbang 200...and one!!

Postby dooterbang » Tue May 22, 2012 11:48 pm

Route description: Fisherfield 6, from Shenavall

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean, Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Ruadh Stac Mòr, Sgùrr Bàn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Date walked: 19/05/2012

Time taken: 20 hours

Distance: 40.6 km

Ascent: 3154m

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Fisherfields is a vast sprawling remote area SW of Ullapool, just above Torridon (another part of Scotland i've yet to visit), where the mighty An Teallach lies...having conquered An Teallach and its pinnacles it was now time to enter the more remote Munros :)

In a report i did before the New Year i jokingly stated it was my 1st "wild camp" in 25 years, those who read the report would realize camping in the Red Squirrell in Glencoe didn't constitute such claims...after this weekend i think i earned my wild camping stripes!

We left Glasgow Friday night at 6.30pm - Gordon, Davy, Herman and Nicky on board for this weekends wild adventure.

Our route

Fisherfield_6.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked up at Corrie Halle 11.30pm and good to go for Midnight - we would be walking in 7k to set up camp 3k West at the foot of Beinn a'Chlaidheimh, next to Albhainn Loch an Nid...which we would cross in the morning.

The walk took around 2 hours and was easy going with only 350M ascent/descent.

Davy had lent me a 1 man tent, which he kindly showed me how to erect. I blew up my NeoAir Thermarest which i had purchased from WEBTOGS, using my winning TR vouchers and adding a few quid, ...a great piece of kit.

Head Torches out at 3am and it was off to noddy land...well not for me as i had a 3 season sleeping bag which was rather useless in the below zero temperature. I tossed and turned for the next 4 hours before finally getting up and venturing outside.

The chat soon turned to "gear talk" with all the boys proudly informing one and other on how super lite the recent purchase of a 4 season sleeping bag was, or how thick a mattress was, how big the rucksack, the weight of a tent, the space saving stoves...this would be a common theme of the trip, it was highly amusing watching the boys trying to "outdo" each other. I simply didn't get involved...i knew i had the biggest, thickest best perofming piece of kit...aye, my mattress :lol:

The plan was to tackle the 4 Easterly Munros and find a decent camping spot, next day finishing of the 2 Westerly ones. I was shocked at the weight i was carrying, around 17kg, and how i wish i had all that sooper dooper gear. We had plenty of time so onwards we went to crossing the river and heading up the East face of Beinn a'Chlaidheimh, and when finding the ridge walking SW to the summit.

This spot was too good not to take some photos, An Teallach in the background...

Fantastic views, this was going to be a belter of a walk...if the weather held out!

Nice little climb to the ridge...

The ridge...

The Summit - Herman on top...he nearly sent me flying as he turned, he forgot he was carrying such a large sack...is Herman old enough for the onset of early dementia!!

Follow the ridge SSW to reach Munro number 2 - Sgurr Ban

Take in the view NW to the Corbett Bienn Dearg Mor - what a Moontin!!

Striding upwards to Sgurr Ban

As we reached the summit the weather changed and it was now full on snow storms and clag, i was congratulating myself on donning my 4 season boots - apparently one of the lightest in the range :wink:

Its only 1km to Munro 3 - Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair...this should be an indicator to the steep ascent trying to reach its summit!!

There was no evident path up this face so it was picking a route and going for it. Gordon led the way before stepping aside and letting me take all the risks :shock:

I found this to be a nerve jangler as the snow was thin in places and extremely slushy, i kew one slip and it was a long hefty fall. I gingerly picked my way up through the snow and rocks. Herman had decided to head upwards in a straight line - i think he must have fancied trying out some new moves!! We both reached a safer part of the ridge but couldnt see the others behind us. Turns out Nicky froze when trying to follow Hermans route upwards, eventually Davy supported her up my route...hats off to Nicky for finding the strength to get on with it, she slept for 12 hours after the 1st day :)

Head South for 1k then West for 2k to reach the 4 th, and final, Munro for today - Beinn Tarsuinn

Like alot of the terrain around it was rocky and very time consuming to reach the summit. Gordon reaches the summit - snow aplenty!!

We would now follow the ridge along Beinn Tarsuinn before heading steeply down its SW face heading to Lochan Fada, we would pitch the tents here.

When reaching our camp spot the sun shone and the skies filled with a blue blanket

Day 1 was over and i was rather knackered. I used a super lite stove to make a Dhal Curry, totally wild how good this tasted :)

Nicky ate quickly and was sleeping for 8pm.

Gordon was very quiet and mysterious, i think he was having a private feast...he'll never get rid of that gut!!

Herman and Davy sat up till midnight talking the biggest load of manure known to man, they had shared a few wines and whiskies...I knew Herman loved to chat but Davy was something else, i'm sure he winds himself up when asleep...ready for the onslaught of chat he inflicts on others...inflict is rather harsh, Davy is a good guy...he just likes a wee chat, preferably with a nice "Rose" in his hand :lol:

Eventually i got a couple of hours kip...i was warmer than the 1st night but still cold.

On both occasions when wakening i found myself full of energy, how could you not be with such stunning scenery surrounding you. On Sunday morning the sun continued to shine brightly.

It was a 650M pull NW to the summit of A' Mhaighdean - the most remotest munro in Scotland...and my 200th.

I pushed on as i wanted some moments alone, i love reflecting on many things when walking the hills. I knew we went as a group but was sure the others wouldnt mind that i went ahead.

As usual i enjoyed the relentless march upwards towards the summit, the physical challenge putting a smile on my face...but i was excited as i had read so much about the views from here, i was now about to stand and witness them...and it was a clear day :D

The views...

The killer views 8)

This was astonishing standing here, i felt very lucky...and very insignificant!! The view was worthy of the hype in my opinion.

Being windy at the summit we soon made our way to Munro 6 - Ruadh Stac Mor

The descent was steep and care was needed, again with the soft slushy snow underfoot.

On getting closer to RSM i realized another mini scramble was ahead...

Dont forget to visit the hidden (not so) cave...

More rock and boulders....

We followed the steep scree path to the left

More wonderful views opened up West to the sea

Summit views

The desent from RSM was slow due to weaving our way down the never ending boulder field!!

Eventually we reached a fine path that would take us to Shenavall Bothy. It was not a nice experience due to having 4 season boots on my feet, the weight of my rucksack was now making my shoulders hurt...i quick marched to the the bothy, intending to rest as i had pushed on from the others.

There was still 2 river crossings and a slog across 1.5k of wet boggy ground to reach the bothy

I reached the bothy and got chatting to the maintenance man who was in doing some work. Gordon wasnt far behind, we both rested for over an hour before the others came...to their credit they only took a short break before we all pushed on together to tackle the 7.5K walkout.

Final views...

We covered the last 7.5k in 1hr 50m - fantastic considering what went before.

This was an amazing experience in a trully stunning area. Although i didnt sleep the wild camping was good fun and something i will do again, but with all that sooper dooper gear. Big thanks to Gordon for driving, Davy for the tent, Herman and Nicky for the banter...and all the support and generosity showed.

We managed a 2 course meal in the Aultguish Inn, food was superb, before heading back to Glasgow. I got home well after midnight, shower and straight to bed...i had work in the morning :?

Scotland is a wild, rugged, barrron and beautiful country...and i finally got to sample "The Great Wilderness" :D
Last edited by dooterbang on Wed May 23, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Fisherfield 6 - Dooterbang 200...and one!!

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 23, 2012 12:18 am

Absolutely brilliant doots - what a fantastic trip and congrats on the 200 :clap: :clap: Very enjoyable - had me chuckling away. That's you definitely indoctrinated into wild camping now. As for being cold at night, best to keep on all your clothes and add some more with gloves and hat....shorty pyjamas or boxers wouldn't be much good :lol: The views and photos are stunning - I'll be looking back at this when I eventually get up here - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bod » Wed May 23, 2012 12:36 am

What a fantastic trip and what an amazing mountain for your 200th munro, congratualations :) :) :) :) :). Great effort all of you; gonna have to now get the map and start planning too......
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Stretch » Wed May 23, 2012 1:54 am

Simply class, Paul. Love the photos and the write up. Congrats on reaching 200 pal!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mamoset » Wed May 23, 2012 1:55 am

Well done on passing 200 :thumbup: Great report, and some cracking photos, enjoyed going through that :D

Chris.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby madasa mongoose » Wed May 23, 2012 7:22 am

Really enjoyed reading your report Dooterbang. Cracking photos too! Well done all. Great achievment. :clap:

I'm planning to head to these hills at the end of June so this has really inspired me. Just hope the weather is as good! :D
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:1

Postby monty » Wed May 23, 2012 7:38 am

A simply outstanding report Paul. Awesome photos. Congrats on the 200. :D
monty

Postby Gavin99 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:54 am

Fantastic stuff , congratulations on No.200 !
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby Ranger » Wed May 23, 2012 8:01 am

Fantastic - a real epic! :thumbup:
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby doogz » Wed May 23, 2012 8:09 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

200 up well done Paul

The views are indeed worth the trip as you said

Good account though I'm bewildered that a super fit glesga boy didn't do them in a wanner!! :wtf: :wink:

Easy going the last 82 for you ... September or October ?

Doogz

Ps your logger still says 195 :lol:
doogz

Postby Alastair S » Wed May 23, 2012 8:19 am

Great report there dooter :thumbup: - and congrats on the 200 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Going to have to have a think about how I'm going to tackle these soon before I get too decrepit :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby kevsbald » Wed May 23, 2012 8:28 am

Bravo! A'Mhaighdean looks stupendous - got four of these to do and think I'll tie them in with Slioch. Superb way to hit the 200 and 1. Mind and update yer M count.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby basscadet » Wed May 23, 2012 8:37 am

Congrats on the 200.. Some great ics in there, it really is a spectacular place.. :D
Cant believe you couldnt sleep in your tent though.. I have the opposite problem :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby mountainstar » Wed May 23, 2012 8:49 am

The chat soon turned to "gear talk" with all the boys proudly informing one and other on how super lite the recent purchase of a 4 season sleeping bag was, or how thick a mattress was, how big the rucksack, the weight of a tent, the space saving stoves...this would be a common theme of the trip, it was highly amusing watching the boys trying to "outdo" each other.

Lightweight! :lol: :? :wink: With the size of those rucksacks? On a 2 week backpacking trip my 50ltr is half the size, with nowt hanging on the outside! 8)
Joking aside...another great trip and report Paul, well done on passing the 200....Monty watch your back!
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby andrewdoggett » Wed May 23, 2012 8:49 am

Congrats on the 200 Dooter... :thumbup: :clap: :clap: Cracking walk this... I think I remember it - and yes, you do notice the weight of the pack, I wasn't moving fast by the time I reached my camp at A'Mhaighdean :lol:

Cracking pics too...
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland