walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond

Ben Lomond

Postby findhornloon » Wed May 23, 2012 8:53 am

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 01/04/2012

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Jesper and I on our FIRST Munro. Ben Lomond, Ptarmigan route up, Tourist Route down.

Some background - Jesper is a Dane visiting from Tanzania where I have been involved in mapping since 1990, we have both climbed Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, I climbed it in 1992 and Jesper several times, in more recent years Jesper has also climbed extensively in East Africa including Mt Kenya, Mt Meru and the Ruwenzori Mts. - so he decided to drag my 61 years body up some Munro's during April / May 2012.

100_8543.JPG
Bit of a dull day to start with, but the view of the islands is still inspiring.

A very pleasant and comfortable climb up the Ptarmigan with the view of the loch and surrounding hillls improving every step, nice and peaceful too, always good to start early on Ben Lomond. Nearing the Ptarmigan the early risers, some hill runners, start appearing on their descent.

100_8545.JPG
Jesper enjoys his first real view of the Scottish Hills close up, especially the Arrochar Alps to the west.

100_8546.JPG
A small lochan just below the Ptarmigan.

On the summit and in the clouds with a very biting wind, hope its a bit warmer once the jeans and trainer brigade arrive.
100_8547.JPG
Jesper wishing for some of the heat he left behind in Tanzania.

Too cold to spend any time on the summit, so its back down the tourist route to meet the hoards on their way up. It's tough on the old knees on the way down, a long relentless descent on a good but unforgiving stone/rock path. Interesting range of people (and dogs) passed on their way up, very young & old, fit & unfit, well kitted out & of course the jeans, trainers and lipstick brigade. A great day out on our FIRST Munro despite the cold and clouds on the top, expect some reaction from the old legs about Tuesday !!
findhornloon
Hill Bagger

Munros:29   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland