walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler (Ben Arthur) & Beinn Narnain

The Cobbler (Ben Arthur) & Beinn Narnain

Postby findhornloon » Wed May 23, 2012 8:55 am

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 06/05/2012

Distance: 12.3 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Jesper and I heading for our first Corbett and second Munro - The Cobbler (Ben Arthur) followed by Beinn Narnain.
100_8563.JPG
Jesper and I heading for the Arrochar Alps

Decided to climb the Cobbler first and see how the time (and legs) are before returning via Beinn Narnain. After the Narnain boulders we head north-west up a small scramble between the North and Central peaks.
100_8566.JPG
The north peak or 'face' of The Cobbler.

Great views south down the Firth of Clyde and a tantalising number of Munro's to the north, east and west.
100_8570.JPG
View over Ben Donich south down the Firth of Clyde to Ailsa Craig (Paddy's Milestone) and Goat Fell (Arran).

The next challenge, the rock Pinnacle which is the true summit, not too difficult if you have a head for heads, wouldn't fancy it if it was wet, slippy or icy, as once you pass through the 'eye of the needle' the last part slopes outwards towards a big drop on to big rocks.
100_8571.JPG
On the summit Pinnacle and the return via the 'eye of the needle' with Ben Lomond in the distance.

We descent The Cobbler to the north down the stepped path then up the slopes of Beinn Narnain over the boulderfield to the summit of our second Munro without too much trouble.
100_8585.JPG
The Yawning Crags of Beinn Narnain.

100_8589.JPG
Nice view of Ben Lomond and the loch, wish it was that clear when Jesper and I were up it last month.

On the summit feeling fine, however the real killer for me was still to come after over-stretching some tendons, a long stoney descent with some small scrambles on tiring legs and hot knees. Another great day in the hills, no gain without pain so not looking forward to Tuesday and sore tendons, anyway my hill fitness is definitely increasing.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

findhornloon
Hill Bagger

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland