walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pulling a woman and acting the clown

Pulling a woman and acting the clown

Postby dogplodder » Wed May 23, 2012 6:45 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chlachair, Geal Chàrn & Creag Pitridh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlachair, Creag Pitridh, Geal chàrn (Laggan)

Date walked: 03/05/2008

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Jack and Tess were both homeless dogs and came to us via a Rescue in Lancashire. The day we got Jack was a 15 hour round trip and when we got home my other half said "We're not doing that journey again!".

Jack was a lovable hooligan. He couldn't walk on the lead, had no recall and whenever he was left alone set about demolishing the house due to his separation anxiety. So 7 months later we did the long journey again - this time to collect Tess. From the gun dog side of the breed, Tess walked beautifully on the lead and had good recall. We hoped having her company would help Jack with his separation issues and to a great extent that proved to be the case.

When the Rescue heard I took the dogs out on the hills they asked if I would do a sponsored walk to raise funds to help other dogs in need. So the idea of climbing Ben Nevis was hatched. But I knew the dogs' pads wouldn't easily cope with the abrasive rock unless they had worked up to it so we planned a number of training walks for them and climbing these hills was part of that build up.

We parked off the A86 near the concrete bridge over the River Spean and took the estate road that leads to Lochan na h-Earba.

It had taken several months walking in the woods behind our house to get Jack walking on the lead without wildly zigzagging from side to side following every scent he picked up. He was very strong so for a while I had a sore shoulder from the constant yanking around but on this walk I found that if I walked ahead he would follow in pretty much a straight line - and effectively towed Moira along behind him!

This is how to pull a woman!
DSC00007-medium.jpg

Coming into view Geal Charn on left and Beinn a'Chlachair on right
DSC00008-medium.jpg

Lochan na h-Earba is a lovely spot in itself and well worth the walk in.

It was the result of much practice for Jack to be able to sit still for a photo!
DSC00012-medium.jpg

Tess (Moira's pic)
Hillwalks 2008 002.jpg

From the lochan we took the stalker's path south east up the Allt Coire Pitridh.

Dog power has its uses when climbing a hill! :lol:
DSC00015-medium.jpg

We walked up to where the path went left for Creag Pitridh and shortly after that left the path and headed up the slopes of Geal Charn. The previous time I was up here with Evelyn we were in deep clag and only climbed Pitridh so I was enjoying the views today! :D

View across to the Creag Meagaidh group and distant Loch Moy
DSC00022-medium.jpg

Beinn a'Chlachair from slopes of Geal Charn (Moira's pic)
Hillwalks 2008 009s.jpg

If I focus hard enough you'll give me that banana 8)
DSC00024-medium.jpg

Oh no, it's not working! :o
DSC00025-medium.jpg

Dogs racing back to me on the slopes of Geal Charn
Hillwalks 2008 010s.jpg

Racing back to Moira again :lol:
Hillwalks 2008 011.jpg

We walked down the slopes of Geal Charn to the col to its west and then up the zig zag path to the rocky summit of Creag Pitridh.

Beinn a'Chlachair from slopes of Creag Pitridh
DSC00026-medium.jpg

Beinn a'Chlachair zoomed
Hillwalks 2008 014.jpg

From the top of Creag Pitridh we took a south west line to rejoin the stalker's path and back to the car.

View west from almost back at the car
DSC00027-medium.jpg

The Grey Corries
DSC00028-medium.jpg

DSC00029-medium.jpg

On 21st June we were back again with Evelyn and Linda to climb Beinn A'Chlachair. Did the same route in and had the obligatory coffee stop at the lochan. We noticed a couple of tents not far from the path by the lochside. More of them later!

DSC00210-medium.jpg

We took the stalker's path up beyond the turn off we had taken to climb Geal Charn and found a path up the north east ridge of Beinn a'Chlachair which was steep and rocky but soon levelled out and from where it was an easy walk to the summit.

Summit of Beinn a'Chlachair
DSC00212-medium.jpg

I forgot to take the dogs' pics at the cairn so called them for a photo shoot a bit along from it. The difference in their demeanor is typical of their personalities.

The princess and the clown
DSC00213-medium.jpg

Okay I'm being serious now
DSC00214-medium.jpg

I can do noble looking as well
DSC00215-medium.jpg

About to decend Beinn a'Chlachair with Lochan na h-Earba below
DSC00217-medium.jpg

It was a steep descent on grass which was quite hard on the knees. As we neared the lochan Jack must have smelt sausages cooking as he suddenly took off like a missile in the direction of the tents. Imagine the embarrassment if he got there and no one was about to stop him helping himself! :oops:

I'd been doing a lot of work on his recall to the whistle which is the only reason he was off the lead so this would be a big test for him as this dog, like all labs, is obsessed with his stomach. I blasted on the whistle and he did an immediate U turn and ran back to me. Phew, was I relieved I didn't have to go and grovel to irate campers about their stolen supper!

Well done Jack. :clap:

Post script (17th May 2009)

Yesterday we said goodbye to Jack and our hearts are sore. Some time I'll write about his last hill but wanted to let folk know... and this report from his early days says so much about his personality. He was such a kindly natured dog that even yesterday when he was feeling dreadful he wagged his tail to everyone at the vet's. And while we were sitting waiting to be seen he turned and looked at us, making Pete say "Oh don't do that". But we had to do the right thing by him.
Last edited by dogplodder on Fri May 17, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Pulling a woman and acting the clown

Postby soulminer » Wed May 23, 2012 7:56 pm

I remember you posting about Jack and the sausages, on the Collies escapade on BEM :lol:
I am still in the process of training The Chaos Crew, although they are pretty good really- with a few minor mishaps ( Glen ! on Sundays jaunt ) :oops:
I have never had a puppy to train up , like you my dogs have been 'Rescued' or a stray( new house= new dog :crazy: ). Don't really know if I have the inclination to start from scratch. I am much happier being in a similar position to you of just taking it on ,no matter what, and God help us :lol:
soulminer

Postby RicKamila » Wed May 23, 2012 8:25 pm

I like this report a lot :thumbup: Your dogs are adorable. Can't wait til Kamila and I are in a position to add a couple of dogs to our family. Cheers for this, it's made me smile :D
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby rocket-ron » Wed May 23, 2012 8:48 pm

i just love seeing pics off your dogs am planning a new 1 soon
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby dogplodder » Wed May 23, 2012 10:25 pm

soulminer wrote:I remember you posting about Jack and the sausages, on the Collies escapade on BEM :lol:
I am still in the process of training The Chaos Crew, although they are pretty good really- with a few minor mishaps ( Glen ! on Sundays jaunt ) :oops:

Oh dear that's not a good sign that I'm repeating stories! :lol: I'm sure your dogs are paragons of virtue :angel: compared to our Jack. :twisted:
dogplodder

Postby morag1 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:09 am

Yet another lovely report with great photos and stories about the dogs :D

So funny about the dogs eating people's sausages, not so funny for the campers though :shock:
Everytime Im out somewhere and I sit down for my lunch a dog seems to appear from nowhere ready to scoff my sandwiches, now Im on the lookout for them all the time :lol:
morag1

Postby madasa mongoose » Thu May 24, 2012 1:03 pm

This report made me smile too :) Loving your dogs. The photos of the princess and the clown are hilarious :lol:
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:1

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 24, 2012 5:25 pm

RicKamila wrote:I like this report a lot :thumbup: Your dogs are adorable. Can't wait til Kamila and I are in a position to add a couple of dogs to our family. Cheers for this, it's made me smile :D

Thanks RK. They're great company on the hills! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 24, 2012 5:25 pm

rocket-ron wrote:i just love seeing pics off your dogs am planning a new 1 soon

What kind are you planning on? 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 24, 2012 5:30 pm

morag1 wrote:Everytime Im out somewhere and I sit down for my lunch a dog seems to appear from nowhere ready to scoff my sandwiches, now Im on the lookout for them all the time :lol:

I try to keep mine away from other walkers who are sitting down as they're terrible scroungers if they get half a chance! :oops:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 24, 2012 8:49 pm

madasa mongoose wrote:This report made me smile too :) Loving your dogs. The photos of the princess and the clown are hilarious :lol:

The princess and the clown were out with me again today - appropriately enough at the Dog Falls in Glen Affric. I'll put pics on when I find the time. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri May 25, 2012 10:08 am

The princess and the clown yesterday in Glen Affric
DSC_0033-large.jpg
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 16, 2019 11:37 pm

"Well done Jack" is what I said at the end of this report on a walk in May 2008 and in May 2019 I'll say it again.

Today we lost Jack. At two months short of 15 he was old for a lab but still enjoying his walks and happily climbed his last hill (a Sub 2000) at Easter. But this week he went off his food and went downhill quite quickly so we knew the time had come.

He was a legend and we will miss him.

At top of Druim na h-Earba, with Ben Nevis behind
DSC_0642-large.JPG

Well done Jack
DSC_0646-large.JPG
dogplodder

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland