walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Half way! Sgurr Thuilm & Sgurr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan)

Half way! Sgurr Thuilm & Sgurr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan)

Postby Bod » Fri May 25, 2012 8:54 pm

Route description: Sgurr Thuilm and Sgurr nan Coireachan

Munros included on this walk: Sgurr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgurr Thuilm

Date walked: 20/05/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 1550m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

One of my most enjoyable and challenging walks to date :D :D :D
It was the time factor that surprised us all a little, with the whole walk taking that bit longer than we all expected (perhaps everyone not taking full account of the walk-in element along Glenfinnan to start climbing up Druim Coire a' Bheithe and then of course returning again from Sgurr a' Choire Riabhaich).

Valerie, myself, Gavin99 and bowzi enjoyed a cracking West Highland day :wink:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So the story of the day goes that Valerie and I were meeting Gavin99 in Fort William after his Saturday walk over Gulvain and its corbett neighbour. We had travelled up during the afternoon and decided on camping in Glen Nevis where the three of us ended up staying and enjoying a fine bar meal and a few beers. At 8.20am the following morning the three of us with Ritchie were setting off from the car anticipating a fine day in the mountains. The grandeur of the massive 19th century engineering achievement, that being the Glenfinnan viaduct was the first key point of interest of the day, and it is worth simply reading the plaque and just trying to imagine how difficult it must have been to construct back in 1896.
1.JPG
The Viaduct of course now made very famous following Harry Potter's exploits.
2.JPG
The approach road into these mountains unusually has a well maintained tarmac surface, ideal for those on bikes....:)
3.JPG
Corryhully Bothy just over 3km up the Glen.
It is at this point one of my familiar tales has to come out. A few years back myself and three other friends stayed the night in Corryhully bothy. It was dark, miserable and wet that night and we had hardly even noticed the viaduct due walking with heads down facing into driving wind and rain. The plan was to cross the mountains the following day to then stay at Oban bothy at the east end of Loch Morar, but due to a still very wet morning we did not venture far, and we ended up retreating to Lochailort and spending the afternoon in the hotel.
We had such a fine swally there that the landlord even put us up in staff accommodation at the rear of the pub :D :D :lol:
(We did make it up Loch Morar the next day starting from the west to our planned next stop at Tarbet Bay :D )

Back to present day, it was at Corryhully we met bowzi who had arrived on his mountain bike. We got chatting and soon we were 4, plus Ritchie to help guide us on our merry way. Bowzi had considered the clockwise route and we all had a wee confab about this idea, the resulting thought being that both ways would be rewarding and fun with fantastic vantage points. We headed off upwards first with Sgurr Thuilm in our sights :D

4.JPG
Bowzi and Valerie on Sron a' Bheithe with Glenfinnan below.
5.JPG
Sgurr nan Coireachan in the distance further round our chosen anti-clockwise horseshoe route.
6.JPG
Valerie on the approach to Sgurr Thuilm.
7.JPG
Summit shot with Ritchie proud of munro no.81.
8.JPG
Bowzi, Valerie and Gavin with the forestry of Glen Pean and Glen Dessarry appearing down below.
9.JPG
A lochan shot on Beinn Gharbh.
10.JPG
Onwards we must go......:)
11.JPG
A glorious lochan shot looking back towards Sgurr Thuilm and views of Loch Arkaig.
12.JPG
A very interesting and enjoyable broad linking ridge. Meall an Tarmachain to cross next.
13.JPG
At this point I am thinking, "I've climbed 141 and a half different munros!" :)
14.JPG
The views down Loch Morar open out, and what wonderful amazing angles we are offered...:)
15.JPG
A paraglider (1 of 3) over Sgurr Choire Riabhaich.
16.JPG
On top of Sgurr nan Coireachan, myself, bowzi,Valerie and Gavin. Around us we have it all, West Highland Scotland, just amazing, mountains, islands, lochs and the sea.
17.JPG
Looking back along over the ground we have just covered from Sgurr Thuilm in the distance 4km away.
18.JPG
Our route and next leg over Sgurr Choire Riabhaich with some slightly more exposed, steep and rocky sections ahead.
19.JPG
bowzi and gavin on a nice edge over Coire Thollaidh.
20.JPG
A very happy labrador relaxing back down in Glenfinnan after descending the stalkers path.
21.JPG
A red deer hind on opposite bank enjoying the evening rays....
22.JPG
bowsi catches us up again after having a stop at Corryhully to share tales with another walker setting up there for the night. Hopefully we'll see him again one of these fine days?
23.JPG
Back down appraoching the viaduct again with the hills of Lochaber standing proud all around.
24.JPG
Wow, and it was all done with one continuous concrete pour all those years ago. Truly pioneering stuff!

I can thoroughly recommend this munro mountain walking day, one that I will certainly remember very well. Great company too and new adventure, what can get better that that? :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Bod on Fri May 25, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 35 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Grahams:30   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:42   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   Islands:24

Re: Sgurr Thuilm & Sgurr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan)

Postby luckyguy68 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:00 pm

Not your most descriptive report Bod. Camera broken?? :lol:
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Bod » Fri May 25, 2012 9:03 pm

The words and the photos are coming :lol:

quote="luckyguy68"]Not your most descriptive report Bod. Camera broken?? :lol:[/quote]
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Grahams:30   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:42   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   Islands:24

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri May 25, 2012 9:19 pm

First time I looked it was just the map and now the photos have been added :?

I'll try again a bit later on for the text :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Mancunian » Fri May 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks Bod for posting the photies already. :clap:
I've been up there just 3 weeks ago in similar weather although it might have been a wee bit colder. Now that I'm back im Germany :? it feels good to see the mountains again. I can fully understand you that you did underestimate the trip in and out. I think it took us 2 hrs just to get to the place where the inlet for the new water turbine has been constructed which is situated where you would leave the road and go for the summit of Sgurr Thuilm. That place was by the way infested with ticks. See TR here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21314

Was it easy to find the path on the last 300m to Sgurr Korean? I found it difficult to see and lost the path a few times due to the patches of snow.
Well, I'm really looking forward to reading your TR.

Cheers,
Stephan
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:80   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Half way! Sgurr Thuilm & Sgurr nan Coireachan (Glenfinna

Postby PeteR » Sat May 26, 2012 9:36 am

Really enjoyed this report Bod. I have a bit of a soft spot for these two hills, so always like to hear other peoples reviews of them. I, like you, was surprised what a long day it turned out to be though. You had great weather for your trip :D I had four seasons in one day when I was up there, but still enjoyed every step :D

And congratulations on reaching the half way point :clap: Still lots more adventures to be had out there :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Grahams:89   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:177   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby soulminer » Sat May 26, 2012 11:22 am

Two amazing , and historical, mountains.You really looked as though you enjoyed the challenge :clap:
I took my last dog,Brodie, up these two when we were on holiday in Roshven- he climbed the slabby part of Coireachan like a pro :lol:left me looking like a prat :lol:
Couldn't let him off lead though, too many deer :)
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby bowzi » Sat May 26, 2012 11:56 am

Hi Valerie, Bod and Gavin! I did say I'd post! :)

An enjoyable day and a pleasure meeting up with y'all.

For anyone considering the use of the bike it's well worth it, took me around 25 mins in and even less on the way out ;) A lot easier than the 'road' into Guilvain!

Cheers
Mark
bowzi
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Grahams:1   Donalds:3

Postby pgrizz » Sat May 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Did this route clockwise in the middle of last October; nice to see the views I didn't see! I agree about the walk in and out, the length of and time to complete can easily be under-estimated. We were helped by a friendly Gilly who gave us and another walker a lift back down the Glen. Thanks to him.
Nice report.
pgrizz
Munro compleatist

Munros:59   Corbetts:15
Grahams:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:196
Wainwrights:143   

Postby jonny616 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:14 pm

Great stuff as always Bod. half way is a great feeling i'm sure :clap:
jonny616
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   Corbetts:13
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:7

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat May 26, 2012 4:47 pm

Great, I can now see the whole report :lol: :lol:

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your report, Bod, and some wonderful photos :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:156   

Postby rockhopper » Sat May 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Enjoyed that, Bod - a cracking day and great views :thumbup: Haven't go to these hills yet but maybe some day hopefully - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat May 26, 2012 5:29 pm

So now we call you "The Grand Old Duke of York".

"Cause when he was only half way up,he was nether up nor down"

Craking pics & wurds mate,keep em comin
gammy leg walker
Mountaineer

Munros:262   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sat May 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Absolute cracker Bod, lovely photos all the way and some great dramatic shots :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Clach Liath » Sun May 27, 2012 8:22 am

Congratulations on achieving the landmark. :clap: :clap: Yes the ridge between the two Munros is full of ups and downs and this adds to the time. Biking up and down the Glen to reach these two is the way to do it. The cycle out only takes 15 minutes. :D
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:71
Grahams:23   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:88   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:117   
Walk wish-list

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
Next

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland