walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tumbling down on Ben Vorlich

Tumbling down on Ben Vorlich

Postby L-Hiking » Sat May 26, 2012 8:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 01/05/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The sun was shining brightly when I peered out of my cottage window this morning, what a beautiful day for a walk, almost too good. Been here before and when approaching the tops that glorious clag comes down and stays there with you no matter how long you wait for it to clear. Then as you leave the top and venture down you see the clag dispersing and you curse a little under your breath.

A look at the weather forecast and it was set to be a nice day with good visibility in Scotland with lots of rain in my home town of York…Good Oh!!

Arrived at Ardvorlich at 10 ish and there was already a few cars here, mainly owned by fishermen paddling in Loch Earn swinging their lines in and out of the water. Have not seen any one catch a supper yet, but did see this young boy catch a tree behind him who then swiftly was laughed at by the other fishermen…poor lad!
P1010740.JPG
Loch Earn Fisherman
P1010741.JPG
Ben Vorlich
P1010742.JPG
This Way!

The objective lay ahead and there was a clear view all the way to the top of the Munro, Im not always sure that it’s always good to see your objective in the distance as a tired body is not helped by the fleeting glance into the distance. Any that’s how it is and Ben Vorlich was waiting to be conquered and on to Stuc a Chroin from there.
There are easy to see waymarks at the start of the hoke which ensure that you don’t venture onto private property, which leads to a good path which climbs steadily alongside the Ardvorlich Burn. This a pleasant part of the walk with clear views all the way to the summit cairn on Vorlich.

A little further up the Alt a’Choire Bhuidhe is crossed via a footbridge where there is some sort of dam construction which helps power the Ardvorlich Hydro, impressive and cheap electricity. The Lawers range came steadily into view behind as I assesnded and indeed was a picture with Loch Earn in the foreground.
P1010743.JPG
Good path initially
P1010746.JPG
Loch Earn and Lawers Hills

The good track now becomes a path which has is very good and indeed has had work on it to ease erosion, the top of Ben Vorlich was getting closer and as we looked there was already someone on the summit, I considered I had another hour before reaching my first goal and had to negotiate the last steep climb over ice and snow

As it turned out it was not too bad as there was plenty of good grips in the snow, footholds had been created by previous walkers to the summit. I was eagerly looking forward to my first view of Stuc at the summit.
P1010747.JPG
Summit Pic
P1010749.JPG
P1010750.JPG
P1010755.JPG
Stuc a Chroin, my next target.....(NOT)

P1010752.JPG
Crianlarich Hills
P1010758.JPG
The Ben zoomed

After the cup of tea at the summit another couple arrived from Airdrie and could not believe that they used to live in the next village to my home near York….What a small world it is. After exchanging pleasantries we said our goodbyes and headed down towards our next target, which from where I was standing looked a tough objective. Its OK I kept telling myself as I had read many accounts of the walk on WH and I was going to follow in their footsteps and knock my second Munro off today. So off we went down the hill towards Bealach an Dubh Choirein

Then without warning disaster fell upon me as we were descending into the bealach, I slipped and fell heavily landing on my side. I knew I was hurt as the pain and the sensations I was feeling were not good or very pleasant. My wife Carol came over quickly and told me to get up as I was lying on my back with my head below my body. Quite frankly I couldn’t move much for fear of falling and it was painful.
P1010761.JPG
Bealach an Dubh Chorein

Eventually I managed to get up with assistance and sat shaking and very annoyed with myself, the pain in my chest suggested I had done a little more damage than bruising. Thankfully there were no major limbs broken and I had not hit my head, I had landed with my full body weight onto a knife shaped rock and considered my ribs were damaged or worse.

No Stuc for me today, the task was to get down as quickly as possible, I do carry first aid and had some pain killers and some spray to relieve the pain a little. It was a long way down to Ardvorlich from here.
P1010763.JPG
Ben More and Stob Bienen

Any way we did make it down turning right at the bealach and descending the side of Vorlich which was the way I itended to descend after topping the Stuc. At the bridge over the burn a worker who was working on the Hydro saw me in difficulty and took me down to the road in his jeep.

Diagnois was indeed nothing more than 2 cracked ribs which hurt like hell, but the disappointment of not getting to the top of Stuc a’Chroin hurt more.

Someone once said in a Hollywood movie……I will be back!!
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:68   Corbetts:7
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Tumbling down on Ben Vorlich

Postby soulminer » Sat May 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Hope the ribs heal soon :clap: Been there, done that and carried on afterwards- slightly wiser :thumbup: There will probably be a few who have been in similar circumstances, it is always a learning curve :wink:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat May 26, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm glad you've finally posted this report, Geoff :D
You've got some fantastic photos :thumbup:
Good job Carol was there to look after you and, I know, the ribs are much better now :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:156   

Postby mrssanta » Sat May 26, 2012 10:26 pm

oh what a pity for you. Hope the ribs are starting to knit now, painful job that.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:11
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:40   Islands:8

Postby laconic surf » Sat May 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Congrats on getting Vorlich bagged, unlucky on your fall. I know exactly the pain your feeling, I've broken ribs on 3 separate occasions playing rugby, it hurts like a bar steward :crazy:
Hopefully your not too far off a return
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Grahams:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby L-Hiking » Sun May 27, 2012 7:42 pm

soulminer wrote:Hope the ribs heal soon Been there, done that and carried on afterwards- slightly wiser

Cheers..well on the mend now

SusieThePensioner wrote:Good job Carol was there to look after you and, I know, the ribs are much better now

I swear she had a smile on her face when i first fell over :lol:

mrssanta wrote:oh what a pity for you. Hope the ribs are starting to knit now, painful job that.

Maybe should stick to the Moors!!!..Nah Cairngorms next month

laconic surf wrote:it hurts like a bar steward Hopefully your not too far off a return

Cheers laconic, i will be fit and ready for August and Lochnager mate
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:68   Corbetts:7
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Gavin99 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Ouch , that is a sore one for sure :( , hope they heal quickly for you !
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:279   Corbetts:133
Grahams:75   Donalds:67
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   

Postby ScottishLeaf » Mon May 28, 2012 12:18 am

Well done on getting Ben Vorlich, hope you walked up to the cairn at the other end of the summit ridge, cause it's higher than the trig point! :wink:

When I went up Vorlich, my bro forgot his insulin and we had to turn back about the same point you probably fell.... no matter, I got Stuc this weekend coming in from Beinn Each, which was a great walk. Maybe something for you to consider next time you plot to conquer the fearsome Stuc A'Chroin.

Hope the ribs are mending well :)
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 28, 2012 5:09 am

Great report LH......and it was all looking so good up to that point, sorry to read about the fall, cracking ribs sucks plenty (no sneezing for you for a few weeks....if you do you'll be sorry :lol: ) been there mate, hope they get right sooner rather than later, then of course; you have to go back and get Stuc into it another day :roll: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland