walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Let the Bagging Commence - North Berwick Law

Let the Bagging Commence - North Berwick Law

Postby rush_fan » Mon May 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Route description: North Berwick Law, North Berwick

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: North Berwick Law

Date walked: 26/05/2012

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've spent too much time indoors reading hill books, studying maps and purchasing essential hill kit having recently developed in my head lofty ambitions of conquering the Munros (I blame Nicholas Crane and his excellent BBC TV programme "Munro - Mountain Man"). To date my natural habitat over many years has been coastal/forest walks on the flat (Glens of Antrim/Inverness/Aviemore/Black Isle/Lothians) but now I have set my sights on a higher calling....the mountains of Scotland.

After a year of planning (or should that be procrastinating?) I thought it was about time to get out of the house and get my hill bagging ambitions up and running! ....small steps first though....I need some training hills.

Today would be my first prominent hill. It is one that I have passed a number of times over the years and thought that it would be great to be standing at the top taking in views of the marvellous East Lothian coast. It is a hill that has always struck me as being very much out of place for it's surroundings, a huge mass standing proud on the coastal edge of endless flat agricultural land (and the odd golf course or two) ....North Berwick Law.

It was to be an early start from South Queensferry at 6.30 am in glorious weather. Two short train journeys to North Berwick and a short walk from the station would see me standing at the carpark entrance to "The Law" at 8.30am. From here there is a well defined path starting around the southern edge of the hill up to the summit.

I was surprised that I had reached the top in around 30 minutes (it would have been half this but I could not help myself stopping to take in the fine views and grab a few photographs (any excuse as my lungs were near bursting, my thighs burned and my rucksack that contained just a bottle of energy drink and a bag of peanuts was about to be abandoned due to the weight....the joys of hill walking being experienced for the very first time!).

The gods were surely smiling on me. The weather was fantastic, the 360 degree views from the top were fantastic and I had the hill to myself...fantastic. After a short period exploring and photographing summit features and taking in the views I returned to the base of the hill retracing my steps. My adventure was over in an hour and a bit. But what an adventure it was. My longstanding curiosity of what it would have been like to have stood at the top was finally satisfied. :D

001.jpg
First sighting from the train.

002.jpg
Approaching the Law.

003.jpg
Path to the summit.

004.jpg
Half way there.

005.jpg
Near the top. Bass Rock in the distance.

006.jpg
The summit.

007.jpg
Trig point.

008.jpg
View point indicator.

009.jpg
View point indicator plate detail.

010.jpg
Replica whale jawbones.

011.jpg
View over North Berwick and on to Craigleith island.

012.jpg
Remains of a watch-house (Napoleonic Wars, c1800).

013.jpg
World War II lookout.

014.jpg
Stunning view of the East Lothian coast (Bass Rock and Tantallon Castle seen in the distance).

A morning to remember, my first Sub2000er well and truly bagged. Bring on the Munros! :wtf:

Enjoy the pictures.
rush_fan
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Let the Bagging Commence - North Berwick Law

Postby jonny616 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:21 pm

You can't beat views like that. Stunning. Years of no views & therapy ahead of you enjoy :lol: :lol: :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland