walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Shorts, sun hats, sun cream and Starav

Shorts, sun hats, sun cream and Starav

Postby bobtask » Mon May 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Route description: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhor

Date walked: 28/05/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1472m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Start.jpg
The path at the back of Coileitir and part way up Ben Starav
As I sit to write this walk report for the walk Bob and I completed on Saturday, I read in the Sunday papers that on that day the temperature in Scotland was hotter than in Cyprus, Italy and Majorca. I remember at the end of the walk, as we were driving out of Glen Etive, the temperature on the car thermometer read 25°C. As we drove into Etive, there were a lot of people camping by the river. Some were just getting up and lots were still sound asleep. When we got to the start there were a number of cars in the parking bays so we had to move further down the road. We knew it was going to be a hot day and that the first part of the route would be hard.
GoingUp.jpg
Views on the way to the trig point, hard going

We set of from the car at 7:45am and headed toward the bridge over the river Etive on the track to Coileitir. The weather forecast had said it was going to be hot so we prepared ourselves accordingly. Off went the long trousers and on went the shorts, sun hat and lots of sun cream. I have to say I tend to use the once a day stuff that is sweat proof but I do carry some in my sack just to top up. I take extra liquid in the sack as well.
We planned to do three Munros - Ben Starav, Beinn nan Aighenan and Glas Bheinn Mhor. We walked to Coilteitir and found that there was a deer fence all around the property and, as you approach the fence, there is a sign on the gate directing walkers around the fence. There are a couple of board walks over some streams at the start but as you get to the back of the property it’s just boggy and, if the weather had been bad and it had rained just before the start of this walk, it would have made for difficult going. However, as it was a fine day it was not too bad. As you walk through this part of the route you leave the fence on the right for one on the left and this takes you to the start of the climb up Ben Starav. This fence also takes you away from the footbridge which would take you over the river. You have to find a way across the river before you can start the climb proper. The climb up is unrelenting and at first quite steep. The boulder field up to the trig point requires a bit of scramble but nothing too difficult. I could feel the day was getting hotter and the climb up to the trig point took us nearly 3 hours from the car.
Top.jpg
What's left of the trig point good views of Loch Etive but not of the twa Boabs

The next part is along the ridge to Stob Coire Dheirg. There is a relief path which we used in parts as the wind was quite strong and it made for easier going. We got down to the Bealach Lochain Ghaineamhaich where we made the biggest decision of the day. We decided not to go for Beinn nan Aighenan as the day was very hot and as we progressed our liquid supply was getting short. Therefore we headed up to Glas Bheinn Mhor. We climbed over Meall nan Tri Tighearnan and then climbed up Glas Bheinn Mhor. At this point I was done in and was taking in as much liquid as I could but keeping some for the descent. The wind, which was cooling, made it hard as it worked against us on the ascent. The route down was no problem as there is a good path and should present no problems unless covered by snow. The path down from the top takes you near to some cairns which are marked on the map. At this point you could go to the other Munros in the area Stob Coir an Albannaich and beyond. We didn’t have the energy to even think about it so we followed the path back down to Coilteitir. We stopped at the robber’s waterfall to refresh ourselves.
Ridge.jpg
The Ridge down to Bealach Lochain Ghaineamhaich and looking back to Ben Starav

When we got back to the car I had a cool bag with some pints of milk in it. I did think about putting some ice cream in but thought that it would have melted and turned to mush by the time we got back to it after our walk. However, the milk was still cool and made a very refreshing finish.
top2.jpg
Hats 'R' Us and the way down to the cairns mark the way to Stob Coir an Albannaich and beyond

On the trip back out of the Glen towards the main road it looked like a camp site with lots of different tents and people sitting out enjoying the sun with some swimming or paddling in the river. All very summery. If you ever have to buy a tent and want to get an idea of what to buy take a trip down Glen Etive and have a look at all the different ones on display. I’m sure you’ll find one to your taste.
Overall, a very good route even though we cut it short. It was very hard work on an extremely hot day. However, it would have been much harder if we had gone on to do Beinn nan Aighenan.
bobtask
Ambler

Munros:125   

Re: Shorts, sun hats, sun cream and Starav

Postby dektasker » Tue May 29, 2012 8:21 am

What a day to pick!! The blog is very informative and easy to follow with the pictures (some of the views are stunning) and the text. Think you did the right thing when you made the big decision. Look forward to doing the same walk sometime in the future. 8)
dektasker

Munros:191   Corbetts:1

Re: Shorts, sun hats, sun cream and Starav

Postby stooboy » Tue May 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Good trip report look forward to the future ones.
stooboy
Mountaineer

Munros:7   
Sub 2000:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland