walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Unfit and Roasted in The Mamores

Unfit and Roasted in The Mamores

by BobMcBob » Mon May 28, 2012 10:44 pm

Route description: Stob Ban (Mamores) and Mullach nan Coirean

Munros included on this walk: Mullach nan Coirean, Stob Bàn (Mamores)

Date walked: 27/05/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1155m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Unfit and Roasted in The Mamores

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:18 am

monty wrote:Sorry Bob but I was in stitches reading that report :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was kind of the idea :D No point being all miserable about it :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Rudolph » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Great report and a useful warning for when we get our hot days next year!

I take it you didn't trust the water in the burn as safe to drink?

I'm not sure I'd waste scarce drinkiing water on it, but I'm convinced a soaking towel or buff on the head reduces the amount you need to drink by a huge amount. Of course there does need to be some water about but it's amazing how little you need to get cloth dripping. Even if you don't think the water in the burns drinkable, it's worth filling up a spare container if you do find a source.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Rudolph wrote:I take it you didn't trust the water in the burn as safe to drink?

I've always been wary of drinking water from streams. I know a lot of people do but many years ago a mate picked up something quite nasty (I forget what it was called) that his doctor reckoned was often carried in sheep urine and could have been in some water he drank from a stream in the Lake District. So not knowing how to tell a clean burn from a dirty one I steer clear. On this walk there are loads of little burns cascading down in the walk up to the bealach and I confess I was sorely tempted.

Rudolph wrote:I'm not sure I'd waste scarce drinkiing water on it, but I'm convinced a soaking towel or buff on the head reduces the amount you need to drink by a huge amount..

It's definitely fair to say that soaking my hat in the stream cooled me down a lot, as did the snow I put on my head :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland