walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wilson and Jake cutting their teeth on a couple of scrambles

Wilson and Jake cutting their teeth on a couple of scrambles

Postby davetherave » Tue May 29, 2012 3:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh, Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 26/05/2012

Time taken: 14.25 hours

Distance: 22.6 km

Ascent: 2436m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Saturday 26th May 2012
Completed by. Dave, Julie, Wilson and Jake
Weather. Supreme conditions
Time. 7hrs and 7hrs 15 mins = 14hrs 15mins
Distance. 12km and 10.6km = 22.6km
Ascent. 1264m and 1172m = 2436m
Hills.
Munro’s x 4
Corbett’s x 0
Grahams x 0

Sron Na Creise scramble
And
The Aonach Eagach ridge scramble

Sron Na Creise scramble
As you guys probably know the prospect of great weather normally brings simmering plans into action. They can sometimes be big multi day routes, Graded scramble routes or even just a single Hill or a gentle stroll. (Think the title gives it away).

I had already done the Aonach Eagach ridge alone about a year or more ago. I wanted to try it first before risking taking Wilson (The Beardie Collie) along. Julie my wife missed out last time also, so she was eager to have a go now.

Since then our circumstances have changed slightly. What I mean by that is that we have a new member to our walking group (Jake The Border Collie). Jake obviously has less hill experience than Wilson. He has only got about 30 or so hills under his belt. But in the short time that we have had him we have seen a big increase in his strength and balance when in and around the mountains.

On the way down we popped into Tiso’s at Perth and picked up 15m x 7mm of rope just incase the dogs needed a bit of protection on the 2 scramble routes we had planned for the Saturday. We had arrived at our destination at about 6pm and had set up camp by the river Etive about 1.5km SW of the main road. Weather was glorious. As for our pitch site well I can only say prime location, it really was that good.

Saturday morning was as glorious as the day before. We were left the tent by 6.15am and headed for the Sron Na Creise scramble. My guide book Scrambles in lochaber states that this scramble can be made as easy or as hard as you want it to be, and if need be the top can be reached without much hands on scrambling if you so wished. This would be a great test for the dogs before the Aonoch Eagach ridge later in the day.

It was a hard route to follow when using the guide book, at times it seemed to over complicate the route ahead! Once you are right in about the rock, some of the crags and slabs seemed to merge making it complex and difficult to follow the true route description. But it was a cracking scramble, excellent at times with plenty of big holds. Views were superb the higher we climbed. There were far to many hills to mention, and with the wide expanse of Rannoch Moor to the East the sense of exposure was never far away.

The summit of Creise is reached easily from the Sron, once past Stob a Ghlais Choire you will know you are in striking distance. We decided to head for Clach Leathad the one time hill with Munro status, we then doubled back a short distance and picked up the connecting ridge that would lead us to Meall a Bhuiridh.

5 minutes before reaching Meall a Bhuiridh summit we got chatting to a guy from Edinburgh, turns out he is a WH member goes by the name of CliveW. Had a nice long chat with him for a bit. (All the very best for that special trip you have planned on the 19th )
1 (3).JPG

1 (19).JPG

1 (24).JPG

1 (26).JPG

1 (29).JPG

1 (33).JPG

1 (36).JPG

1 (39).JPG

1 (56).JPG

1 (59).JPG

We managed to avoid all the Ski tow mess by descending down the west side of Creag Dhubh to reach Cam Ghleann and then on to or camp spot for around 2pm ish. This would give us about an hour to chill before the real fun would begin on The Aonach Eagach ridge.

The Aonach Eagach ridge
Got to the Allt na reigh parking area and started our ascent of Am Bodach at 3.15pm. As we ascended we could see that there were still plenty of cars parked at the other parking areas. I was hoping that the ridge would be quiet especially as we had the 2 dogs to contend with, turns out we got our wish we never met a soul until we topped out on Sgorr nam Fiannaidh.

We made good time reaching Am Bodach, we passed the Chancellor in what seemed like a flash and before long we would reach Meall Dearg.

Julie was enjoying it so far, I even recall she said something about how uncomplicated it was until now. The dogs were unfazed and were coping very well indeed. Looks like the Scramble in the morning was a good plan in ridding them of some of their energy, and that they would be calmer on the ridge proper. It certainly helped !!

The fun starts after Meall Dearg, and before long you do get the feeling that you are suddenly very committed to completing the ridge. Well I certainly got that feeling, especially with having the 2 dogs to worry about.

The rope made an appearance prior to the Chimney but we soon found that with a wee bit of pushing and shoving and a bit of encouragement the dogs soon overcame any problems that the ridge threw at them. That was until the last pinnacle I think. The one that you have to make a few awkward steps round to the north, before scrambling up on top of the ridge once again. The dogs had to get roped up for this section.

It was tough, time consuming and mentally draining, and I was now wondering if trying to complete the ridge with 2 dogs in tow was a sensible idea. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous at this stage. The dogs were tired and were getting a wee bit stressed and there was very little room to work on that narrow bit of ridge before that awkward last pinnacle.

We took several moments to get our selves calm and arrange the rope. I climbed up and round and Julie attached the rope to Wilson and with encouragement and 3 short stages he was soon safe. Jake got the same treatment as Wilson until safety was achieved.

Julie took that last Pinnacle in her stride she never had a problem at all and once we had reached Stob Coire Leith I told her that was it, all our problems were behind us and the final summit Sgorr nam Fiannaidh would be straight forward. It was here that she told me she never really enjoyed the walk because she worried far too much about the dogs. But she did say when we come back to do them again it will be without the mutts!!
1 (4).JPG

1 (13).JPG

1 (18).JPG

1 (23).JPG

1 (33).JPG

1 (35).JPG

1 (37).JPG

1 (38).JPG

1 (47).JPG

1 (49).JPG

1 (50).JPG

1 (59).JPG

1 (64).JPG

We descended back towards Stob Coire Leith and at the lowest we dropped down South to reach the A82. We reached the road about 1km east of the Loch Achtriochtan leaving just a 3 km hike back to the car , we arrived at 10.30 pm. It was only a 5-minute drive back to Glen Etive and very soon we would reach our home for the night. We crawled in to our sleeping bags that evening Dirty, sweaty and stinking.

What a trip it was, I had even considered the Curved ridge on the Sunday morning but the stress of the day before put me off some what. We decided to chill at the camp site until 1.30pm on the Sunday. Julie was driving so I had a good few beers in the sun while the dogs romped about the river Etive.

A weekend we will remember for a long time to come.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Wilson and Jake cutting their teeth on a couple of scram

Postby kevsbald » Tue May 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Well done Wilson, who's a good boy!! Love the shot of Wilson and the ridge at the end. Oh, and good effort from all the others..... :D
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby jools » Tue May 29, 2012 4:41 pm

hi Wilson's stalker :lol: yeah the rest of the group's effort was nothing compared to wilsons :roll: :roll:
jools
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:71
Fionas:21   Donalds:3

Postby jonny616 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Great stuff. I would have been to worried about the dogs to enjoy myself. Stunning day for these walks. A friend once did the ridge with a border terrier & put him in his rucksack for the chimney, with his wee head sticking out :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Gavin99 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:42 pm

Excellent stuff , Wilson and Jake look like they are in their element ,that was a big day in the heat 8)
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby EwaMH » Tue May 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Your dogs are unbelievably gorgeous in these photos....the hills look pretty good too I guess :P Quite a day!!
EwaMH

Munros:207   Corbetts:83
Fionas:33   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:16

Postby gaffr » Tue May 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Those dogs get better fed that I do. :lol: The image of the wee collie getting a high paw hold to make progress in the slot is superb. :) with good old Wilson offering some support from below.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby clivew » Tue May 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Was that the dogs breakfast being prepared or yours? seriously both the dogs are something else, pretty cool customers. I'm heading back up that way this weekend haven't decided exactly where yet but the forecast looks good at the moment maybe follow your afternoon route, happy walking folks
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue May 29, 2012 7:48 pm

haha love it a bhalaich ..was thinking of leaving my Patterdale /Westie cross out of it when i do the AE maybes no now :D

Would a wee ish agile cratur manage without ropes ?
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby davetherave » Wed May 30, 2012 10:01 am

Collaciotach wrote:haha love it a bhalaich ..was thinking of leaving my Patterdale /Westie cross out of it when i do the AE maybes no now :D

Would a wee ish agile cratur manage without ropes ?

We did have our problems, but most of them stemmed from having 2 dogs on board for the trip. :roll:
I think the back up of a 5m rope might be helpful, for the one area that i mentioned after the chimney. Your boy may be able to scramble up just as our ones managed, but do keep in mind that a rope would give your buddy that added protection.

Have fun and keep your cool if you do go with the dog.

Dave. 8)
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby monty » Wed May 30, 2012 10:10 am

Top report Dave. The dogs are having the most wonderful life with you guys. Just love it. :clap: :D
monty

Postby audreywaugh » Wed May 30, 2012 10:20 am

Great report and love the photos of your four legged furry mountaineers, Wilson & Jake, well done them and you both of course, was sweltering in that heat. :D
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby PeteR » Thu May 31, 2012 8:20 pm

Wilson and Jake are braver than me :lol: Great pictures of both hills though :D

It's been suggested by a friend I might like to attepmt the AE one day. So far I have manfuly resisted :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu May 31, 2012 8:45 pm

Well done Wilson & Jake..............................and well done the other two.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Thu May 31, 2012 10:30 pm

Very enjoyable - well done all - I'd be worried enough on the ridge myself never mind having the dogs as well ! cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland