walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I Spy with my little Pie - Suilven

I Spy with my little Pie - Suilven

Postby Avocetboy » Tue May 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Route description: River Inver and Glencanisp circuit

Date walked: 14/05/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 210m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having driven up to Coigach, 550 miles from Lincolnshire, in glorious sunshine all the way, on the Saturday, Sunday was a complete wash out with torrential rain and gales all day. The forecast for Monday was better with showers, but still windy. So a low level sheltered walk was required. It was a toss up between Kirkaig Falls or The River Inver and Glen Canisp Circuit and we opted for Glen Canisp as we had already walked half way to the falls on a previous visit.
The road to Lochinver was as difficult as ever. Too many distractions for the Driver!. Suilven, Quinag and Cul Mor dominating the horizon.
We parked in the car park next to the church (and the Panini van) and delayed our start for 15 minutes to allow a seriously viscious hail storm to pass over. The walk takes you along the main street of Lochinver and past the pie shop. The smell was seriously tempting and our pack up of Cheese and Pickle sandwiches was not exactly inspiring, so we decided that tea would consist of Pies.
The footpath is signed and takes you along the right hand side of the River.
Young Carter was kitted out in full waterproofs and using a trekking pole for the first time. A valuable accessory for a 5 year old on a 4 mile hike!!
The river and woods are beautiful with loads of waterfalls and weirs
After about half a mile, the river widens and there are stages for Salmon Fishermen.
Eventually the woods end and the countryside becomes wilder and turns to moorland
At this point the footpath leaves the river bank and heads up the moor and a steady incline.
Eventually, Suilven shows its head and dominates the walk for the next mile or so.
Looking back to a cloud covered Canisp
Eventually, the path reaches the summit of a pass and Suilven looks even more dominant.
The gorse lined path then drops its way down to Loch Druim Suardalain and Glen Canisp Lodge.
The Loch is beautiful and on a sunny day, with Suilven as a back drop, it would be a lovely place to spend some time
The sun came out briefly and we had a drink whilst enjoying the view
The walk then continues for about a mile along the tarmac road and back into Lochinver.
There is no way it is possible to be in Lochinver without having a pie. At over £4 a pie, they are expensive but they are exceptionally good. So we purchased a steak and ale, Haggis and Neaps, Pork and Apple and Venison and Cranberry.
Pies were then consumed with Achmelvich Beach as a backdrop.
Time for a bit of dune jumping to end the day (apologies to the dune conservationists, no damage was done)
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Re: I Spy with my little Pie - Suilven

Postby BoyVertiginous » Wed May 30, 2012 9:30 am

Looks like you were rewarded for making the effort to get out in what could have been less than ideal conditions, not only with the pies but also the weather.

Cracking account and pictures of an amazing area.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Re: I Spy with my little Pie - Suilven

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed May 30, 2012 9:47 am

Enjoyed your report, particularly as my husband had done that walk a couple of years ago. The weather then was blue sky and sun (sorry) :lol:
We stayed in Lochinver for a week and just love that area :D
Avocetboy wrote:The road to Lochinver was as difficult as ever. Too many distractions for the Driver!.

I totally agree!!!!
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland