walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Our first adventure to The Cobbler

Our first adventure to The Cobbler

Postby Sarah86 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:10 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 25/05/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After reading many of the fantastic reports this week this seems rather tame compared to some epic adventures but we had a wonderful day out on this fantastic mountain (or is it still classed as a hill?!) I have seen many photos of The Cobbler but seeing it in front of me was something else as it looks so grand and such a unique shape.

We set of quite early, well for us anyway to try and gain some height before it got too hot, we had a bit of luck as there was still a bit of cooling mist lurking and a bit of a breeze as we set off. We hurried on up the zip zag bath which did get a bit tedious after a while. It took us 6 hours in total but that was with quite a few breaks along the way and we spent about 50 minutes on the summit.

Still a bit of mist surrounding Ben Lomond

We were a bit worried how the dog would cope and took it easy once we got to the main path, we decided if it got too hot or she started struggling we would turn back

Getting closer

The killer! We decided to take the more straightforward route up, straightforward yes but a really knee killer so we had quite a few stops along the way. We also came back this route.

View were a little hazy from the top but absolutely amazing, we sat for a while taking it all in and enjoying the gentle breeze

Penny managed fine and didn't complain at all, here she is taking in the views

Doing a bit of sunbathing at the top

No thanks!

The long walk back

Was very pleased with how she managed as she will be 9 in a couple of weeks. The only problem we had all day was the last 45 minutes heading back to the car it got very hot but we kept her cool and treated her to a mini milk from the ptrol station!

A bit squint but a lovely scene

Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Re: Our first adventure to The Cobbler

Postby Stuart Angus » Tue May 29, 2012 8:29 pm

What a cracking set of pictures, I think pictures tell a thousand stories and yours are brill..............glad the dog made it up and down ok, it was very hot on Friday 8)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby mr_ash_37 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:16 pm

Fantastic report and crisp clear pics, thanks for sharing. Not do e the cobbler yet but your report makes me want to very soon!!
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Postby Tomsie » Tue May 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Great photo's of the dog with that background
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby BobMcBob » Tue May 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Nice report. The Cobbler was my first Scottish mountain (yes it's a mountain, it's got rocks on top and everything :D ) and this brings back great memories.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby jaybee » Wed May 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Did the Cobbler three weeks ago - complete with snow storm! Had our lunch huddled out of the wind and weather behind rocks on the summit.
Can't believe the difference in such a short space of time.

We also looked and decided "no" at the threading the needle thing too.
Great effort by your dog and some lovely photos there. Makes me want to return and do it again.
jaybee
Mountain Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby Sarah86 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Thank you very much for the kind comments, we really did have a fantastic day. It is a wonderful walk and The Cobbler is quite a sight to see.

It is amazing how quickly things can change on the hills, I don't think I would have been brave enough to tackle it in the snow.

Thanks BobmcBob for clearing that up for me, I knew it wasn't a munro but wasn't exactly sure when a hill became a mountain!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:03 am

Smashing set of pictures Sarah86 of a fine Corbett.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby talkingdolphin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks for you comment on my Conic Hill report...had to come and see your report on the Cobbler, so glad i did, what stunning photo's! Kind of put me off now as there is no way i am going to get views like that tomorrow : ) only joking...can't wait to get up there after reading quite a few reports on it...looks amazing. Beautiful dog you have too. I've decided not to take Eva tomorrow as she is still just a pup and i don't want to overdo it with her. : )
talkingdolphin
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby maryland » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:59 am

Great review & pictures, i am making my first trip to cobbler on monday 07/07/14 and will be accompanied by my 9yr old springer spaniel, corrie.
Hope to enjoy it as much as yourselves and canine companion
maryland
Mountaineer

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Superb report and fantastic pictures. I especially like the one of the flowers with The Cobbler fuzzy in the background. The Arrochar Alps really are a wonderful place on a sunny day :)
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby tweedledog » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Well done Penny! The Whippet, who is a few months older, is now determined on this walk (though he has an injured leg right now so it will have to wait).
tweedledog
Wanderer

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland