walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Narnain (My 4th Munro)

Ben Narnain (My 4th Munro)

Postby Gary1904 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 29/05/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 926m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to bag Munro No.4 today and take the hour drive up to Arrocher and climb Ben Narnain. Just went on my own and it was quite easy to find, just drive to Arrocher on the A83 that goes to the left, not the right at Loch Lomond, drive to Arrocher past the petrol station and then park at the next car park thats on the left, only £1 to leave your car all day ......

So, started at the path which is the path for both Ben Narnain and Ben Arthur (The Cobbler) It was about an hour and a bit on the path until it forks to the left or right depending which mountain you want, I wanted Narnain so that was to the right. It was a very cloudy day so I couldn't even see what I was climbing, it was a very easy climb to the top, just followed a path the whole way and hardly any people were out today so got to sit at the top on my own for a while until the only other two people climbing it came up and the had a gorgeous dog too !!! The trouble was getting down, the path is not as clear when it's cloudy and I lost it so started making my own path but just be careful, some quite high drops around the summit coming down and not clear to see when it's cloudy, I eventually found the path and made my way down, thought about the cobbler but I will do that another time ..... 4 hours up and down for Narnain, nice wee day to stretch the legs.

SDC13889.JPG
The start of the path to Narnain + Cobbler

SDC13892.JPG
A view up the loch at Arrocher

SDC13896.JPG
Not much to see up ahead

SDC13897.JPG
Just before last climb to summit where the clouds are hanging, was quite spooky seeing all the boulders and nothing above them

SDC13904.JPG
At the summit of Ben Narnain

SDC13905.JPG
My view of the Cobbler
Gary1904
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:1

Re: Ben Narnain (My 4th Munro)

Postby luckyguy68 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Planning on doing Ben Narnain in the next few weeks. Thanks for the heads up :thumbup:
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Lowlight » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:03 pm

Adding Beinn Ime to your day is highly recommended.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/beinn-ime.shtml
Lowlight
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Gary1904 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Lowlight wrote:Adding Beinn Ime to your day is highly recommended.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/beinn-ime.shtml

That was the plan to begin with but on the day it was very very cloudy, and I didn't take a map so I thought it was a bit dodgy to attempt it .... I could have done the cobbler but I was happy with narnain that day, but yes, Ime is the closest Munro to me that I have not done so that one shall be done this June :) cheers
Gary1904
Munro compleatist

Postby Tomsie » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Not easy heading in the cloud when you just starting out, well done
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Gary1904 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:23 pm

yeah, I'm just learning and don't want to push things till i know what I'm doing :) .... I made a point of remembering certain things on the way up narnain so I knew I was going back down the way I came up, the path isn't that clear near the summit .... good experience :) cheers
Gary1904
Munro compleatist

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:35 pm

Beinn Narnain by the back door. May I suggest if you want to go back to do Ime, check out the route on this site and bag Narnain again by the front door. I found it a far more interesting walk, especially as you navigate through the Spearhead and then you can descend by the way you went up and across to Ime.
Having said all that, I got the same view you did when I went up Narnain and Ime. lol
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland