walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Teallach - Scorchio part 2 - the grumpy edition!

An Teallach - Scorchio part 2 - the grumpy edition!

Postby Meatball » Wed May 30, 2012 9:26 pm

Route description: An Teallach, Dundonnell

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 26/05/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1438m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An Teallach, it needs no build up!

It does however, need proper planning and preparation. A hard walk in blazing sunshine the day before then very little sleep doesn't really fit the bill!

Ron, Iain and Graeme and I head off early doors, it's hot already, it's forecast to get hotter and my legs are toast from Liathach the day before. Oh joy!

This was to be the pinnacle of my weekend, I was looking forward to testing myeslf on the scramble and to not doing anything stupid, unlike the day before!

So we kit up, everyone is waiting on me, not a great start, but they'll get used to that today! We set off and it is boiling already, my legs are heavy, I feel empty, I'm sweating already! I'm actually not sure (for the first time ever) if I can actually do this? The plan is a clockwise loop doing Sail Liath, Corrag Bhuidhe, Sgurr Fiona then Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill. I'm not here to tick munros off, I want the scramble, I want to see if I'm getting used to exposure. This is with future plans in mind.

There isn't a cloud in the sky, the visibility is fantastic.

Straight away I'm struggling to keep up with the other 3, this isn't right! Under the hat and behind the sunglasses I'm already hurting. My head says "I'm done", my pride says "man up". At this point we are only following a landrover track.

We eventually reach what must be a turn off point and we start going up Sail Liath.
DSC01362.JPG

My legs are squealing. The guys drop me easily as I drop into a slow plod, I'm not enjoying this. I'm also hating the fact that I'm miserable on such a fantastic hill. I focus on a point just in front of each step, I don't look at what is to come.

We pass over Sail Laith and then go on to the next top. We stop for some food, some fluids and take in the breath taking views. Even through the pain, I appreciate, this is a fantastic sight!
DSC01365.JPG
What should be the highlight o fthe weekend

We set off again and my legs are gone, mega tight, no strength and shaking away. I feel sorry for the guys as they are having to wait so often on me. Pride pushes me on but I'm actually worrying about what to do, this may be beyond me but there is no bail out. Bugger!

We get to the crux of Corrag Bhuidhe and I climb up a 10m pitch/scramble.
It is technically easy, well within what I can do but my legs are shaking violently. There is a tiny bit of exposure but this should be easy! Grippy rock, easy holds and an obvious route. I was scared/nervous but I can still usually proceed/function. I get to the top of that pitch and I can see Ron and Graeme pushing on up the next pitch. I can't see Iain though? I shout to those two, asking where he is, they say "dunno". Magic! Iain then pops back from the bypass path, he says that that climb is beyond him today. I look over to the route the other 2 have taken.
IW2.jpg

IW3.jpg

IW5.jpg

It does look technically harder that what I've just done and more sustained. This is why I'm here though, this is what I've suffered for about 4 hours for... I've gotta try it. Ron reaches the top and suggests a different route is possible, I walk over to have a look and my legs nearly go from beneath me with lack of strength, magic. I think I can maybe do it, my pride is urging me on, I shout up to Ron and ask about the route down he says he doesn't know yet. What happens if it is just as big a climb to get down? That is the question answered. Today I am beaten, I'm not certain that I can make it up that pillar and even less certain that I can downclimb from it. I swear! Lots! Iain tries to reassure me, but the petted lip is out now....RAGING!!!!
RR3.jpg

I downclimb to the bypass and doddle round the hill and take the easy upclimb to the summit of Sgurr Fiona. I see Lord Berkleys Seat but I'm not interested anymore, I'm in pain, I'm exhausted and I've got to come back to this hill. I see the others, get some pics, have some food and get bitten by midgies (which doesn't improve my mood). The strange thing is I know I'm acting like a fud but I can't help it, I'm cooked, I'm exhausted, I'm raging, my pride is hurt, I just want off this hill, I want to be back at the car now! The views are fantastic, the hill is amazing and I'm acting like a wean!
DSC01373.JPG

DSC01374.JPG
I'd be no use at poker!
That isn't a happy face!

I set off ahead of the others, trying not to hold them up yet again but they soon pass me (all too easily) the views around get better and better, the guys stop to lap it up and I stagger on.

I eventually make it to the the summit of Bidean a'Ghlas Thuill, it is fantatstic too.
DSC01376.JPG
A bit less rage!

The heat is still fierce, but my rage is beginning to pass, now I'm just burst but I can see the end now, it's all downhill! We all had a bit of banter and then I head off, the guys cruise past me on the way down, I don't care any more I just need to focus on getting to the car.

We take a shortcut down into Corrie Hallie (I think) and the going gets easier but I'm staggering alll over the place by now, not really in control of the descent, I leave the rest to it and plod on as best as I can.
DSC01379.JPG

The guys go to bathe in the pool at the waterfall, I know I'm unlikely to be able to climb out so I don't bother. I believe it was a lot of fun though.
FB1.jpg
Chiiiiiiill

The path down then weaves through some thick bushes, I'd recommend missing this part out and heading over the stream earlier to avoid it.

Finally, there it is, the road.....the end is in sight, a shuffle to the car and it's done.

Reflection time...

The hill is amazing!
Corrag Bhuidhe is a challenge but is easily do-able (Ron tells me the down climb is fine).
The bypass is fine, no real errosion and no exposure for those that are worried about the reports.
In terms of scenery and reward for effort this hill is one of the best.
That is why I will return to do it again (and probably again). It will be some time soon. Hopefully then I will be able to act my age and not need a dummy!
I've ticked these two but this hill isn't about 2 ticks, not to me anyway.

To sum it up, I had a great weekend with some really decent guys, saw some fantatsic sights, was blessed with fantastic weather...I'm a lucky guy to say the least!

Until we meet again!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Re: An Teallach - Scorchio part 2 - the grumpy edition!

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed May 30, 2012 9:47 pm

Your day for enjoying this one will come.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rocket-ron » Wed May 30, 2012 9:56 pm

yeah campbell i did notice you did not enjoy this hill as the heat was really un bearable. Also your legs where gone from day before. But as me and iain said on facebook what determination you showed to finish this walk off. Campbell. i will do this hill with you again but next time. We will make sure you are not walking day before so you can enjoy my fav hill
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby mrssanta » Wed May 30, 2012 9:58 pm

we all have off days sometimes, but hey, you get to go back!! :thumbup:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Meatball » Wed May 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Ron, the hill was great and I have good memories of it.
Meatball

Postby rocket-ron » Wed May 30, 2012 10:04 pm

good we will do it again so you can enjoy it. Your welcome to stnay at mine again
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby Meatball » Wed May 30, 2012 10:12 pm

Sweeeeeeeet!
Meatball

Postby Tomsie » Wed May 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Dip in the pool looked like a bonus at the end.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Meatball » Wed May 30, 2012 10:23 pm

The guys thought it was magic! A magic end to a magic day at the end of a magic weekend!
Meatball

Postby tall-story » Wed May 30, 2012 10:52 pm

I did this on the Friday and had a very similar day, my legs just did not want to work although, I was fishing on the wed night till 230am :roll: and then slept on a very hard floor at a friends at Dingwall on the Thurs after the drive up. So I put the general fatigue down to the unrelenting heat and lack of sleep. We went on to do Alligin on Sat with no problems then Slioch on sunday (ohh the Heat) but what a fantastic weekend just the same :D . Colin
tall-story
Walker

Munros:158   Corbetts:222
Fionas:37   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby iainwatson » Thu May 31, 2012 12:27 am

Meatball wrote:The guys thought it was magic! A magic end to a magic day at the end of a magic weekend!

totally agree!

this is a walk i'll repeat again and again,absolutely fantastic,as for the rock climb......be a while before I can confidently take it on and I'll prob walk the opposite way as the climb up after lord berkeleys seat looks much safer/easier

again I'll commend you for completing the walk,it takes a lot of mental strength to keep going when your done and have nothing left,well done!
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby davetherave » Thu May 31, 2012 12:47 am

What a great read Meatball.

Your time will come soon enough when you eventually do make your return to An Teallach.

Thanks for that double barrel report.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Alastair S » Thu May 31, 2012 1:08 pm

Nice one. Know what you mean about not enjoying things so much when you're <insert expletive of choice>ed. I had a bit of an off day when I did this monster too - but it gives you all the more reason to get back :)
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby pollyh33 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:11 pm

Campbell, you did it!!!

You were in agony and you still pushed on :clap: :clap:

Well done and next time you'll be bathing in the pool!!! Just out of interest.....when is that likely to be??? :wink: :wink:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jonny616 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:37 pm

rocket-ron wrote:yeah campbell i did notice you did not enjoy this hill as the heat was really un bearable. Also your legs where gone from day before. But as me and iain said on facebook what determination you showed to finish this walk off. Campbell. i will do this hill with you again but next time. We will make sure you are not walking day before so you can enjoy my fav hill

Count me in Ron 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland