walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Golden Scottish Autumn

Golden Scottish Autumn

Postby Wanderlust » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Ben Starav, Bidean nam Bian, Binnein Mòr, Glas Bheinn Mhòr, Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Na Gruagaichean, Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach), Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Coire Sgreamhach, Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 20/10/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've just had a great week's holiday in the Western Highlands, stayed at the excellent SYHA Glencoe and did some challenging routes in the surrounding area.

On my first day (Monday 5th October) the cloud was down to around 1000 metres, but the wind was negligible, so I decided that it would be the best day for me to do the Aonach Eagach. From the stiff climb up to Am Bodach, I was soon getting to grips with this exhilirating ridge-walk (if you can call it a walk), the rock was damp and a bit slippy, so I was taking great care to make sure that I had good hand and foot-holds. Once I'd conquered the "crazy pinnacles", I knew that the hardest part was behind me and from here it was a straight-forward walk to Sgorr nam Fiannaidh, on the descent I picked my way down steep grassy and rocky slopes and found a decent path that bought me out by the turning for Glencoe village. Followed the track along side the River Coe back to my car.

Looking along the Crazy Pinnacles to Meall Dearg on the Aonach Eagach

On Tuesday, I was joined by a friend who wanted to do walk but nothing too dramatic - so we chose Buachaille Etive Beag (The wee Buachaille), our intention was to follow the path alongside Allt Lairig Eilde, but the river was in spate - so we headed up to Mam Buidhe, then along the ridge to Stob Dubh. Got caught in a brief shower that passed through, but did benefit from seeing a nice rainbow over Stob Coire Raineach. We continued on up to the summit and back down to Mam Buidhe and back to the car through a boggy patch where the path is being re-built.

rainbow over Buachaille Etive Beag

rainbow over Buachaille Etive Beag

For the next few days I accompanied by a friend of mine that resides on Mull, but had got some spare time and came over to join me for a few walks. On Wednesday we did Buachaille Etive Mor (with her two Lakeland Terriers). This is a great walk, we took the path up into Coire na Tulaich and then up to the summit of Stob Dearg, from where we could see fresh snow on Ben Nevis and Aonach Beag. After stopping for lunch here we had an enjoyable walk along the ridge to Stob na Broige, with stunning views of the Bidean massif, and down into Glen Etive. After the steep descent into Coire Altruim the way back to the car alongside Lairig Gartain was more bog than path!

Mountains of Glencoe from Buachaille Etive Mor

Buachaille Etive Mor from Stob na Broige

The forecast was good for Thursday, so we decided to do Ben Starav. It was a long drive into Glen Etive and we didn't get cracking until 10 o'clock. Was a bit of a "walk in", but great views of Starav and it's neighbouring mountains. Once we got going on to the path up the hill, it was a good walk on Starav's north ridge with some easy scrambling to get to the summit. Didn't get great views from the top, some mist came across to obscure some of the view. It was good fun going along the narrow, rocky arete to Stob Coire Dhearg. From the bealach, we continued the walk up to Glas Bheinn Mhor, after ascending in the mist, it cleared when we reached the summit, and the visibility was extremeley good. If we had more time we could have continued "Munro bagging", but it was getting late, so we headed back to the car. It was particularly wet and boggy on this descent, would love to have continued along the ridge a bit more - some other time maybe...

Arete on Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhor

Friday brought in strong winds but decent visiblilty, we took a walk into the Lost Valley, and from there, up a steep, grassy slope (avoiding the crags) onto the Beinn Fhada ridge. Felt the full force of the wind up on the ridge - had to take care not to get blown away on it's more exposed reaches. Had a bit of a scramble to get onto the ridge leading up to Stob Coire Sgreamach, from there it was an easy walk down to the bealach and up to Bidean nam Bian. Didn't hang around for long at the summit as the weather started to close in (had ice-cold rain lashing me in the face). Continued on up to Stob Coire nan Lochan, then down onto the ridge that leads to Gearr Aonach and descended into Coire nan Lochan. It was a rough path to begin with on the descent from the Coire, but some nice waterfalls to look at on the way down. After a while, the path improved and led all the way back to the car park.

Lost Valley, from Stob Coire Sgreamach

Saturday morning started brightly as we started out from Kinlochleven to do a walk in the Mamores. Following a good track heading towards Loch Eilde Mor, we branched off and headed uphill on a good path up to Sgurr Eilde Beag, where we hit the mist - and were in it all the the way to the summit of Binnein Mor. On our return to the south top, the mist lifted to reveal some views for a few moments. We pressed on along the Mamores ridge to Na Gruagaichean - zero visibilty from here, and after a bite to eat we continued along the ridge, descending sharply to a col and then over Na Gruagaichean's north top (getting buffeted by strong winds) and from the next bealach descended south-westwards to head back towards Mamore Lodge.

Binnein Mor, from the Mamores ridge

The Mamores ridge looking towards Na Gruagaichean

After an heavy night at the Clachaig Inn, Sunday didn't turn out as I'd planned; was going to do Stob a' Choire Odhar and Stob Ghabar, but after the excesses of the previous night - that was never going to happen. But, after the overnight rains it turned out to be a lovely day, so in the afternoon I took a drive up to the King's House and went up Beinn a' Chrulaiste. Steep climb up but fine views from the top, though it was cold in the wind. Continued the walk over Meall Bhalach, then followed the track back to the King's House. Jumped into my car for the short drive down to Tyndrum, for the last night of my holiday.

The forecast was very good for the Monday, so I took advantage of the prevailing conditions and did an half-day walk before the big dive home. Went up Beinn a' Chleibh - a hill I'd not been up before. Started from the car park off the A85, was very boggy and not a lot of fun until I emerged from the forest when the views opened up and the conditions underfoot improved. In less than 2 hours from leaving my car I was on the summit and admiring the views far and around. Made my way back the same way as I'd come up. Had a brew, then hit the road.

Quite a long drive back for me, stopped for dinner at a carvery pub on the A82 near Dumbarton, bit of a find that was - £3.50 for a roast dinner. Made a pig of myself and had pudding aswell!

Got back home around 8 o'clock that night, it's getting harder to leave the Highlands each time that I visit. I'm already dreaming about my next adventure...
Last edited by Wanderlust on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Re: Golden Scottish Autumn

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:16 am

You obviously had a great week and sound to have had a lot of good and varied company and walking! :)
mountain coward

Postby Wanderlust » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:19 am

I did. It was a great week, turned out much better than could have ever wished for - out on the hill everyday and good company to go with it :D
Wanderlust

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:33 am

For some reason, the first time I read that report just then, only the first photo came out - now all the rest have - you have some good photos there!
mountain coward

Postby Wanderlust » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:39 am

I'm more than a little annoyed with myself regarding photographs from this trip. On the first day (when I was doing the Aonach Eagach), I turned on my digital camera to discover that I had only 14 shots left. Thought "this can't be right", then I realized that I'd forgotten to insert the memory card, so could only store them on the internal memory - managed to take 24 on there, the rest were taken on a single use camera that I bought at the village shop in Glencoe.
Wanderlust

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland